Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe's new low for updates

Adobe's new low for updates
Busemann
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 10:19 AM

Check these instructions for updating to Illustrator 11.0.2:

1. Quit Illustrator CS.
2. Open the Adobe Illustrator CS folder (to locate this folder, search the computer for a folder named "Adobe Illustrator CS").
3. In the Finder, choose View > As List, and locate the application file. (The Finder lists the application file as an �Application� by Kind.)
4. Control click the application icon, and choose Show Package Contents.
5. Navigate to the Contents/MacOSClassic folder
6. Create a new folder and name it �AICS 11.0.2 backup�. Then copy the AGMCarbonPrint+PSInjLib and the BibUtilsCarbonLib files by holding down the Option key and dragging the files to the new folder. This creates copies of the files for backup purposes.
7. Copy the newly downloaded AGMCarbonPrint+PSInjLib and the BibUtilsCarbonLib files to the Contents/MacOSClassic folder. When Mac OS returns the message �The files already exist in the location. Do you want to replace it with the one you are moving?� click Replace.
8. Close all open windows
9. Start Illustrator CS
Best of all, the version number stays unchanged after it's completed, so there's no way of telling if it was successful or not. Glad I don't work at Adobe Support

jimcpherson
Dec 21, 2004, 10:54 AM

word up. everyone in my office is laughing at them this morning

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2004, 11:20 AM

Adobe: "I will now step you through the simple 43 step process up upgrading your application."

They can't be serious... can they... ha ha ha...

mishap
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 11:44 AM

looks like some people at adobe left early for vacation

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 11:53 AM

I hate it when version numbers don't change on the app after an update. Obviously it wouldn't with this procedure since you don't change the app itself as such just it's resources.

I also hate it when SW companies treat their paying customers like waste. I don't like the general trend Adobe is going. Although Illustrator CS and Photoshop CS are both very very good apps they leave a lot to be desired in customer service and support.

Off topic but equally irritating IMO is that they will have Microsoftish/Quark-ish product activation on their next major update. Yay. More inconvenience for us and the pirates just find the corporate licences (and don't go through the activation thing) or crack the app.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2004, 07:47 PM

Can anyone using the update tell me if it has reduced the frequency of Illustrator's persistent crashes?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 07:57 PM

I was also shocked to see this. What in the world is wrong with Adobe?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2004, 10:49 PM

This is why I always skip Adobe product generations whenever possible

Still on PS 7 and Ill 10, and not shifting til something actually better comes along. IR CS annoys the living crap out of me at work.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

bborofka
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2004, 11:19 PM

Man, how long would it have taken for Adobe to just make a pkg?

How much longer until Apple comes out with a killer set of CS alternatives that use native OS X technologies like CoreImage, Quartz and..... sheets!? Could they do it? Most will probably say no, but look at how Final Cut and Safari have taken over their markets. Better products will lead to more customers.

mrgreen4242
Dec 23, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by bborofka:
Man, how long would it have taken for Adobe to just make a pkg?

How much longer until Apple comes out with a killer set of CS alternatives that use native OS X technologies like CoreImage, Quartz and..... sheets!? Could they do it? Most will probably say no, but look at how Final Cut and Safari have taken over their markets. Better products will lead to more customers.
If they weren't afraid of losing 3rd party support (a big deal) they should do what they have done with OSX... that is take an existing opensource prosuct and make it an Apple exlusive best of breed...

Appleworks 2005, based off OpenOffice; iPaint '05 (the PS killer) based on the GIMP. Sell them for way less than the compotition, somewhere in the $100-150 range each. Would be killer apps.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by mrgreen4242:
If they weren't afraid of losing 3rd party support (a big deal) they should do what they have done with OSX... that is take an existing opensource prosuct and make it an Apple exlusive best of breed...

Appleworks 2005, based off OpenOffice; iPaint '05 (the PS killer) based on the GIMP. Sell them for way less than the compotition, somewhere in the $100-150 range each. Would be killer apps.
1) Whip up and sell for free Photoshop killer
2) ???
3) Profit!

Chris Grande
Senior User
Dec 23, 2004, 06:14 PM

I am just... I don't know... Amazed?!? This is just crap. What? They couldn't wrap one of those crap installers around it?

I mean, they wrapped Acrobat in an installer, thats not even called installer and it says that its optimizing then doesn't even tell the user that its installed just opens it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules