Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Another Emulator... Guest PC !!!

Another Emulator... Guest PC !!!
addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 12:53 PM

So is this one for real??? no screen shots and no demo... Hmmmm...

http://www.lismoresystems.com
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 01:20 PM

Lismore Systems is the new name for LismoreSoft, who were responsible for BlueLabel PowerEmulator. Although it was an infamous vapourware product for years, it did finally get a release in 1998/99 or thereabouts and it certainly worked. I don't think it was ever as good as Connectix VirtualPC, though.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 03:59 PM

Anyone downloaded it and tried it yet?

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 05:56 PM

How can you download and try it when there's no demo? (Well except if you buy it - but who wants to do that?)
( Last edited by brutal; Feb 1, 2005 at 06:03 PM. )

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by brutal
How can you download and try it when there's no demo? (Well except if you buy it - but who wants to do that?)
That's just what I was wondering--if anyone had bought it and tried it yet.

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 09:25 PM

Well, they have lots of positive reviews on their web site. It must be a great product. I'm not sure how they got all these quotes on a just released product, but hey, if it's on the web, it must be true.

-- Jason

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 09:37 PM

I would feel much better if it was in print though since it makes it even more official...

Originally posted by jasong:
Well, they have lots of positive reviews on their web site. It must be a great product. I'm not sure how they got all these quotes on a just released product, but hey, if it's on the web, it must be true.

-- Jason
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

kisol007
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2005, 11:07 PM

Alright, I say someone takes it for the team and throws down some cash for this product and produces a review...

Not it!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by kisol007:
Alright, I say someone takes it for the team and throws down some cash for this product and produces a review...

Not it!

Maybe the team should help out said someone. Think there are 20 people here willing to shell out 4 bucks to read a review? I think I could spring for that if we find a guinea pig. I'd offer to do it, but I have one Mac and it's a 2-year-old Ti. Seems like it's only fair to test the thing out on more-current HW. But if we can find someone with more than one Mac, decent writing skills, and the time to put an emulator through its paces (sound like anyone? Bueller?), we should pitch in to get them a review copy.

Oh wait, by the time we get 'round to that, there'll probably be a review on Ars or something..

jamiep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 02:00 AM

I love the testimonials and quotes on the website by "generic looking stock photography woman".

"My son asked me 'dad, what's windows 3.1?' So I showed him."

"My wife bids on tulip bulbs online, but the website doesn't work on the Mac!"

they could have at least come up with a few more believable quotes...

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 04:30 PM

OK, so someone bought GuestPC for us:

http://www.macwindows.com/

but the comments don't get us too far, other than we know it works.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the link. I'll probably hold off buying for now (at least until there are some more thorough reviews), although I'd love to sell my Windows laptop and get a cheaper alternative to Virtual PC.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 04:41 PM

They've got pictures on their site now.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 05:03 PM

The German computer magazine c't has tested GuestPC - this is a quick translation of their conclusion:

If you have to work professionally with PC software, you still have to buy VirtualPC from Microsoft. It's more than twice as expensive as GuestPC, but it's noticably faster and has more features. Support for USB devices, shared folders for file exchange and drag and drop between Mac OS X and emulated OS are not (yet) supported by GuestPC.
Nevertheless GuestPC may be interesting for many users, especially if they own a fast PowerMac G5 or only want to use relatively undemanding PC applications with Windows 98, e.g. tax software.

I won't post the rest of the article, but if you have a specific question, I will look if the review answers it.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Tsilou B.:
The German computer magazine c't has tested GuestPC - this is a quick translation of their conclusion:

If you have to work professionally with PC software, you still have to buy VirtualPC from Microsoft. It's more than twice as expensive as GuestPC, but it's noticably faster and has more features. Support for USB devices, shared folders for file exchange and drag and drop between Mac OS X and emulated OS are not (yet) supported by GuestPC.
Nevertheless GuestPC may be interesting for many users, especially if they own a fast PowerMac G5 or only want to use relatively undemanding PC applications with Windows 98, e.g. tax software.

I won't post the rest of the article, but if you have a specific question, I will look if the review answers it.
Thanks for the information! I'd only be interested in purchasing it if the Windows apps I run with Guest PC could utilize Mac OS X printers, do you think Guest PC will work with Mac OS X printers?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Stecchino:
Thanks for the information! I'd only be interested in purchasing it if the Windows apps I run with Guest PC could utilize Mac OS X printers, do you think Guest PC will work with Mac OS X printers?
http://www.lismoresystems.com/questions1.html

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2005, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
http://www.lismoresystems.com/questions1.html
Righto. I speak before I read. Thanks!

maneagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 12:50 PM

I just bought Guest PC and although when I check in control panel and device manager, it is recognizing my standard modem, and says it is working properly, when I try to connect to the Internet I get a message saying that the modem is not configured properly or is not turned on. When I am in Mac mode, I can dial wilh the modem and use Safari without any problem. Any suggestions?

Maneagle

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 11:59 PM

get virtual pc.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 15, 2005, 12:07 AM

90 percent of those who think they need a Windows Emulator on a Mac don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules