Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook/iBook xBrite Film?

Powerbook/iBook xBrite Film?
Fusion
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 12:17 AM

Last year towards the end of the year, an ESL student in our University got ahold of me and needed some help. He had heard from someone that I was good at keynotes and needed help with one. I met him in class the next day. He was using a 14" iBook, and to my surprise, when I looked at the screen I couldn't believe what I saw. His screen was bright, clear, very sharp contrast and shiny, just like all the PC laptop screens you see these days like the xBrite. I couldn't believe what I saw, I was literally stunned.

As I sat there trying to help him, I kept studying it. I noticed that it was simply some sort of transparent film type thing just set on top of the screen. It looked like your standard transparency although I no it wasn't. I asked him where he got it, and although he couldn't quite understand me, he mentioned a local Apple retailer up here in BC.

I showed up at the retailer the next day and they had no idea what I was talking about. They said they had heard of some product like that, and they could get it in stock the next week, but it was $300! I know this is not what the guy was using. Unfortunately, I have no idea who this guy was, and he would be impossible to find on our University campus, even if he still goes to school here.

So, I'm just as much as an Apple nerd as the next guy, and I have never heard about this or seen it on any forum. So I just thought I'd see if I could get lucky and ask if you guys have ever heard of this or seen this before? The results were literally amazing!

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 12:48 AM

yea someone has posted about this before, i forgot the name thought. i think it costs about 40 bucks for it

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2005, 12:49 AM

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 12:55 PM

Awesome thanks. If that is really it I'm picking this up right away. I could not believe how awesome the screen looked.

milhous
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 11:24 PM

you know, as worthless as it may sound, i wouldn't mind seeing a pic of a mac portable with the film on it. a before and after shot would be great.
F = ma

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 11:33 PM

^^ seconded ^^

shrugs*
Oct 9, 2005, 12:06 AM

Kind of weird how a film could make something actually look *brighter*. I don't doubt you, just tinkering the thought of buying one in my head.. hah
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 12:25 AM

I'm sure it results in more glare in certain lighting conditions.

Fusion  (op)
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 01:51 AM

I'll post pictures as soon as I pick one up. I'm not sure you could call it "brighter" it was just more "vibrant." It's hard to explain but the results were immediately noticeable. It really did look exactly like the newer laptop screens you see at the stores.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2005, 01:57 AM

i posted an identical thread in the ibook forum which got zero responses >_<
thanks to the guy who posted the link, i'll probably order one soon.
for sure there would be some glare in certain conditions, but my ibook screen seems so dull compared with the new toshibas, NECs, fujitsus, etc.
looking forward to seeing a pic or two in this thread

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules