Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hold do i turn on my fan on my MBP

hold do i turn on my fan on my MBP
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2006, 08:57 AM

i have all the updates and everything but this thing is really to hot to touch even the keys. i am typing with a pencil right now.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 15, 2006, 11:55 AM

are teh fans running? Boot of the the CD thatcame with the MBP and run a hardware test. But i would already recommend to visit an Apple store to get it checked out

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Biest
are teh fans running? Boot of the the CD thatcame with the MBP and run a hardware test. But i would already recommend to visit an Apple store to get it checked out
i have never heard the fans running. ok i will do a hardware test
Computers:

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2006, 12:20 PM

if you have never heard them running, turn it off ASAP and take it to an apple store

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:50 PM

Wow . Even the keys are too hot to touch? Ouch.

Take it to an Apple store, have them take a look for sure.
Linkinus is king.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 03:10 AM

what a waste of time and money, going to the apple store. they looked at it, yes the keys were too hot to touch and they said it was "within spec" and about the fans never going on they said "its normal, when it gets too hot it just turns itself off"
i believe both statements to be a load of crock.
Computers:

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 03:58 AM

Call AppleCare, lie and say your fans don't turn on at HIGH temps (100*C) and that Apple store said there was nothing they can do and was told to call AppleCare for help. If you're that desperate for help. Ask to have them send you a box and main logic board looked at for excess heat/whine.

memory-minus
Senior User
Aug 16, 2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
they looked at it, yes the keys were too hot to touch and they said it was "within spec" and about the fans never going on they said "its normal, when it gets too hot it just turns itself off"
It never ceases to amaze me the stories people come back with after visiting an Apple Store for a technical problem. Where in the world do they find these "geniuses"?

Call the store manager and tell him you want to come back to have the issue resolved and don't want the hassle and wait of making a genius bar appointment. In my experience they are receptive and will get it fixed. Sounds like you just got a real winner when you went.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 10:07 AM

Sometimes even the people at apple care caren't really helpful as they told me the noise i'm hearing is within specs, well i don't think so when i can hear it 8 ft away.

urfjzdqpmvtflmh aka bob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 06:38 AM

Alternatively you can get a cheap non contact thermometer. It's well known and docs can prove it that exposure to 115 ~ 120F for 5 minutes will cause burns, and if anything is making the MBP get that hot (and oh yes it does, even on one that is actually 'within specs' ) you can rightly say this is a crock.

I'm going to take mine in eventually (131F on the underside during high load moments ) but since I use it on an iCurve most of the time it's not a daily debilitating problem for me.

The fan does actually come on but it's really, really quiet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules