Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I hate to say it, but I want my money back

I hate to say it, but I want my money back
robert_hiester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 07:47 PM

I bought a MacBook Pro 15" a month ago. From the start I had random kernal panics every couple of days. I ran all the hardware tests, and eventually reinstalled the operating system, all under Apple Techs guidance. Now Safari is having Kernal panics. My computer also goes to sleep and won't wake up. It is by far the buggiest computer I have ever bought, and I have owned many PCs. I am so dissapointed, especially since I love the layout of OSX and the built in apps. But this is ridiculous. Now every time I call apple support, they consider my cases solved, because I can't recreate the problem every time on the spot. They are random buggy problems that occur every couple days, yet they won't consider it a problem if they don't happen when I am on the phone with them. I just want my money back. I speant over 2000 hard earned dollars on this POS! Anyone feel the same?

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 07:56 PM

Sounds like something's wrong with your computer. I haven't seen a kernal panic in over a year.

direktor
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 08:23 PM

If you're having kernal panics, then it's 90% that you have a hardware problem. I haven't seen a panic in years, and at that time it was bad RAM. OS X problems usually manifest themselves in other ways besides panics.

That doesn't sound like the Apple support *I* know, closing a ticket just because you can't replicate the problem while on the phone. They WILL tell you to strip the computer down to the factory config (no extra RAM, etc).

I'm not accusing you of anything, but I have a feeling you haven't relayed the entire story. Apple support is usually very thorough and smart, unlike the scripted goofs from Dell or the like. It's certainly possible you got a lemon, but generally the way Apple does things they'll at least dispatch a return to have their people look at it.

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by robert_hiester
I bought a MacBook Pro 15" a month ago. From the start I had random kernal panics every couple of days. I ran all the hardware tests, and eventually reinstalled the operating system, all under Apple Techs guidance. Now Safari is having Kernal panics. My computer also goes to sleep and won't wake up. It is by far the buggiest computer I have ever bought, and I have owned many PCs. I am so dissapointed, especially since I love the layout of OSX and the built in apps. But this is ridiculous. Now every time I call apple support, they consider my cases solved, because I can't recreate the problem every time on the spot. They are random buggy problems that occur every couple days, yet they won't consider it a problem if they don't happen when I am on the phone with them. I just want my money back. I speant over 2000 hard earned dollars on this POS! Anyone feel the same?
I found going to the genius bar is allot better than phone support for more involved problems. Nothing is better than hands on troubleshooting; it’s worth $99 a year.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 08:41 PM

You don't even have to pay $99 to get hands-on support from a genius bar.

It's free, but you have to make an appointment the same day.
Linkinus is king.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2006, 09:00 PM

that what i had with my first macbook pro also 15, it took about 3 months to get the issue fixed, that was after sending it twice, having a mac genius at the store take it, it was fixed by getting a replacement machine, which had to be replaced a few times i like i am on machine number 6.

basic, it doesnt get better, its alike a relationship, if its abusive in the first month there is little chance it will get better, and the best thing to do is leave.

i know what you are going through, and if i had had a say in the matter i would have gotten my money back and gotten something else.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

robert_hiester  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2006, 09:20 PM

It is super frustrating. And I thought these machines were virtually crash proof!

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 09:41 PM

dude, they are. i hope you're not pulling our chains here .

if you live near an apple store, then take it to a genius. be sure to make a reservation (link below) prior to showing up otherwise you'll be waiting a while.

Apple Store - Genius Bar

otherwise, call up apple support and escalate the issue to a manager if they keep giving you the runaround.

otherwise, after ALL options have been exhausted, send jobs an e-mail and be polite about it. [email protected]

good luck.
F = ma

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by milhous
dude, they are. i hope you're not pulling our chains here .

if you live near an apple store, then take it to a genius. be sure to make a reservation (link below) prior to showing up otherwise you'll be waiting a while.

Apple Store - Genius Bar

otherwise, call up apple support and escalate the issue to a manager if they keep giving you the runaround.

otherwise, after ALL options have been exhausted, send jobs an e-mail and be polite about it. [email protected]

good luck.

i vote against this. i have been through it. i got my macbook pro in feb. i did NOT get a working machine until july. and 3 months after it was escalated. and they wont escalate because you want them too, it takes 2 mail in repairs. now unless the thread starter is willing to risk wasting 6 months of their life calling apple and sending and waiting for new machines, i say just return it. and make sure they dont charge you a restock fee or trick you know doing something you dont want to do.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 02:54 AM

It is super frustrating. And I thought these machines were virtually crash proof!
As stated above, you probably have a hardware problem - so reinstalls of the software wont work.

Take out any extra RAM you added and see if that helps. If not, phone apple and get them to fix it.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules