Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ... in which i get wooed by Lapzilla

... in which i get wooed by Lapzilla
shecky
Aug 20, 2006, 02:27 AM

as i (and many like me) wait for the next MBP merom update, i spent some time in an Apple store today to oggle that which i do not have yet, but soon will. after spending a good half hour comparing macbook pros, i have to say that the 17" MBP has won me over. i was really quite convinced i was going to go with the 15" as i perceived the 17" as "huge" and "excessive" and "heavy" and "unwieldy" and "unnecessary."

then i got a really good long look at one next to a 15" and i have to say, i have read many, many threads on many forums about the 17's disadvantages and i disagree with most of them. for those like me making a presumption before a purchase, you should see it in person if you can before making a decision.

the most notable disadvantage of the 17" is the weight; i consider the weight difference between the 15 and 17 to be noticeable when you hold one in each hand at the same time, but holding one at a time its much less of a difference, and i suspect on your back, its not going to be a huge difference unless you really hike miles with it (which i do not).

the size difference is also what i would consider marginal; its bigger yes, but its not ridiculously, goofy bigger. i am a tad worried about using it on a plane in coach, but the benefits outweigh something i usually do less than 10 times a year.

beyond that everything is a bonus: DL drive, bigger screen, better heat dissipation, better battery life, more ports, faster video card (or i should say, non-underclocked video card) and the price difference between same spec 15 and 17 models is only $200.

barring any freakishly bad changes to the lineup when merom units are announced, to me the advantages seem to greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 02:40 AM

I would have to agree. If/When I have the funds to get a MBP 17" next summer for school, I'm going for it.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2006, 11:17 AM

Yeah i agree with you, I have a 15" macbook pro and i wish i had purchased the 17".
Go for it dude

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 11:37 AM

I love my 17" it is so much more portable than my first portable.

http://oldcomputers.net/compaqi.html

shecky  (op)
Aug 20, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by shecky
as i (and many like me) wait for the next MBP merom update, i spent some time in an Apple store today to oggle that which i do not have yet, but soon will. after spending a good half hour comparing macbook pros, i have to say that the 17" MBP has won me over. i was really quite convinced i was going to go with the 15" as i perceived the 17" as "huge" and "excessive" and "heavy" and "unwieldy" and "unnecessary."

then i got a really good long look at one next to a 15" and i have to say, i have read many, many threads on many forums about the 17's disadvantages and i disagree with most of them. for those like me making a presumption before a purchase, you should see it in person if you can before making a decision.

the most notable disadvantage of the 17" is the weight; i consider the weight difference between the 15 and 17 to be noticeable when you hold one in each hand at the same time, but holding one at a time its much less of a difference, and i suspect on your back, its not going to be a huge difference unless you really hike miles with it (which i do not).

the size difference is also what i would consider marginal; its bigger yes, but its not ridiculously, goofy bigger. i am a tad worried about using it on a plane in coach, but the benefits outweigh something i usually do less than 10 times a year.

beyond that everything is a bonus: DL drive, bigger screen, better heat dissipation, better battery life, more ports, faster video card (or i should say, non-underclocked video card) and the price difference between same spec 15 and 17 models is only $200.

barring any freakishly bad changes to the lineup when merom units are announced, to me the advantages seem to greatly outweigh the disadvantages.
yes i have to agree.

i started out in sep 2004 with a 12in ibook which i LOVED for its portability. and when it died (due to excessive abuse on my part) in jan of this year. i decided (quite wisely) to not get an ibook and go instead for an intel laptop, 15in mbp. i thought it would be HUGE and a monster, and really the extra screen real estate was more than worth the extra ounce or two on my back.

now after having many many many many problems with that mbp and its 3 replacements apple upped me to a 17in mbp in june. and i must say i LOVE it. yes it is bigger, and much bigger than the 12in ibook, but the extra screen and everything makes it soooo much more worth while. seriously there is NO place where i once used my 12in ibook for which my 17in too big.

as for the extra weight. well, myself i could stand to loose a pound or 2 so its not really a bad thing to carry some extra weight around. l do take my 17mbp out with me alot. the only time i go out that i dont take it is when i feel doing so might risk theft or damage, more than it would at home.

p.s. off topic: about flying coach, if you join the right frequent flies program most of your purchases will earn you miles. so when you do travel you can get that upgrade. i think with my plan apple buys get 2 miles per dollar spent. for a 17 mbp thats 5,000 miles, enough for an upgrade with continental. just fyi
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

wingdo
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by shecky
beyond that everything is a bonus: DL drive, bigger screen, better heat dissipation, better battery life, more ports, faster video card (or i should say, non-underclocked video card)
I see nothing on Apple's site about the difference in the video card speeds between the 15" and 17" with 256MB RAM. What's the deal on the difference?
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

shecky  (op)
Aug 23, 2006, 03:10 PM

the 15" video card is "underclocked" down to allow for (we assume) less heat in the smaller enclosure. the 17" video card will actually work at the full clock speed of the card when under load, and will clock down when not needed.

this is not advertised on apple's site.

wingdo
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Makes a difference since I do play games on my PowerBook. I've been going back and forth between the 15" and the 17". I guess this settles that thought process. Thanks!
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules