Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do any of you have to do (free) computer support for your family members?

Do any of you have to do (free) computer support for your family members?
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2007, 07:00 PM

Not like tech support, since the almighty Mac rarely has issues for a generally computer-illiterate user...

I mean things like showing them how to use the Internet and email. My mother, for instance, still goes to Google and types in web addresses, then clicks on the link in the search results...instead of going to the address bar and just typing in the address.

I'm trying to show her how to use Flickr tonight. This is going to be a riot.

So - any of you the de facto "computer expert" in your family? Any good stories to share?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2007, 07:01 PM

"What is a window?"

/facepalm

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2007, 07:06 PM

My step dad is ultra-illiterate. His Mac stays on all the time.

Now, earlier today I cut his electricity in order to do something, meaning that the Mac ceased to be on. I didn't turn the Mac back on, so I'm 90% sure that at some point in the next couple of days I'm going to get a phone call asking what's wrong with the Mac.

Yes, it's that bad.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Lava Lamp Freak
Oct 11, 2007, 07:44 PM

I always do tech stuff for my immediate family. My mom has learned how to use e-mail and basic stuff like that. For some reason, because I'm young I suppose, my older relatives seem to think I should know the answer to everything to do with computers. If I say I don't know the answer to something, then obviously its because I just don't want to help.

I did some photography for an in-law, and was paid, but later he wanted me to do a website for him and was seemed offended that I didn't offer to do it for free. He ended up getting a friend to do it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 11, 2007, 07:50 PM

I taught my mom was the dock is last week. I'm helping my sister make a web page right now.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2007, 07:58 PM

My mom just got a macbook last month (because she's heard me claim how awesome macs are). Now I'm her go-to guy for ANY problems/questions she has. I don't really mind it, because most of them are usually pretty simple...The biggest thing I try to stress is that almost any question she has can be simply answered by searching the help files on the mac...they're not useless like the help on Windows.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2007, 08:04 PM

Yes. Also for a few of my friends.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
I did some photography for an in-law, and was paid, but later he wanted me to do a website for him and was seemed offended that I didn't offer to do it for free. He ended up getting a friend to do it.
My father once tried to land me a freelance gig designing - and hosting - a site for some guy who was doing consulting after retirement. Neither of them understood that you have to *pay* for hosting, and that I wasn't going to just give them my server space for free. I ended up not doing it.

When I said that teaching my mother about flickr would be "a riot", what I mean was "this will be as fun as having my annual lady exam done with a lawn dart and a rusty pair of spring-loaded pliers". I ended up leaving without showing her anything - I once made the mistake of trying to explain to her that Google != The Internet. She looked at me like I was insane.

Ah, the joys of being the only computer literate person in the family...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2007, 08:38 PM

Yea. Teaching video editing over VNC made me want to stab myself in the face.

AngelaBaby
Oct 11, 2007, 08:59 PM

My brother is the tech support in my family.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I once made the mistake of trying to explain to her that Google != The Internet. She looked at me like I was insane.
I had the same experience trying to explain to someone how to use the company Webmail. She kept searching for the address on Google and, since it isn't an indexed public page, it just wasn't coming up. She also apparently tried placing the address in the "to" field in an e-mail on her personal account in Outlook and hitting Send. Everything but the address bar.
Chuck
___

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 11, 2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by AngelaBaby View Post
My brother is the tech support in my family.
I thought you were the nerdy one.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
My mother, for instance, still goes to Google and types in web addresses, then clicks on the link in the search results...instead of going to the address bar and just typing in the address.
I wonder how many searches the search engines would actually have if it wasn't for this.

Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 10:19 PM

I'm called upon for help with Windows every so often. For instance, one time there was a program on a friend's HP laptop that wouldn't uninstall. In fact, even after a fresh install of XP after wiping the drive, the program was still there... I have no idea how it survived, but it did. Anyway, I went in and deleted the program folder. Easy as that. The problem is that Windows tells the user not to go into those folders because every move could screw something up. Poor Windows.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
I'm called upon for help with Windows every so often. For instance, one time there was a program on a friend's HP laptop that wouldn't uninstall. In fact, even after a fresh install of XP after wiping the drive, the program was still there... I have no idea how it survived, but it did. Anyway, I went in and deleted the program folder. Easy as that. The problem is that Windows tells the user not to go into those folders because every move could screw something up. Poor Windows.
If you truly formatted the drive and installed Windows XP it would not be there.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
If you truly formatted the drive and installed Windows XP it would not be there.
It would if it were bundled on his system restore disk.
Chuck
___

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 11:03 PM

Me in college one night. Phone rings.

Hello? Hi dad hows it going. Oh, the computer. Is the printer on? Is it plugged into the computer? I know you're not stupid, but did you check? I'm glad I could help. Talk to you later.

Though I am an ocean away now I still will get phone calls about computer problems.

All_Insane
Oct 12, 2007, 12:59 AM

One of these days, I'll have to teach my mother what a folder is. Her desktop's getting pretty cluttered. It was a momentous occasion when I taught her how to delete old documents, and I'm fairly certain she's forgotten, so I think the folder lesson ("What is a folder? How do you make one? How do you change the name from 'Untitled Folder' to something more descriptive? How do you put files into a folder?') will have to wait until another day. For now, deleting the crap she's done with shall suffice.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 12, 2007, 01:16 AM

I have only helped my parents once since buying them a Mac Mini. And that was to replace the dead HD.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 01:32 AM

I get asked to help people with their Macs CONSTANTLY! Just trying to get my parents to grasp the fact that they don't have to use the crap AOL application on their Mac Mini to check their mail (which I set up for them using Apple Mail) has been a huge effort that has proceeded little as far as results go.

Luckily I can turn down all requests for help with Windows XP and such by saying, "I'm sorry, but it's been so long since I've consistently used a Windows machine that I don't even remember my way around the operating system. Sorry!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I have only helped my parents once since buying them a Mac Mini. And that was to replace the dead HD.
I greatly envy you.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Me in college one night. Phone rings.

Hello? Hi dad hows it going. Oh, the computer. Is the printer on? Is it plugged into the computer? I know you're not stupid, but did you check? I'm glad I could help. Talk to you later.
This exact same thing happened to me with my mom last week. Except at the beginning she swore to me that the printer was plugged in. Three days and a couple hours of phone support later, I had her specifically trace the cable. Yep, unplugged.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2007, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
I wonder how many searches the search engines would actually have if it wasn't for this.
I've lost count on how many times I've seen this, even at work.

Open google
Enter URL into google
Hit first link that comes up

When I look through our referral logs I frequently see our entire URL being used as a search term.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2007, 04:06 AM

My mom has used computers for 10+ years. We have had cable high speed internet for about 6 years. If I'm over there telling her to look something up..she still asks how to connect to the internet. . . . .

One time I was helping her out, and she was absolutely clueless, and pushed me into a closet when I tried to touch the mouse. It was sweet.
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

Ham Sandwich
Oct 12, 2007, 05:47 AM

Honestly, after hearing some of these stories, should these people even be using a computer?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2007, 06:00 AM

I had to post this link: Computer Stupidities Its just too funny.

My grandfather will not upgrade his computer, no matter what. He continues to use his Commodore 64 for taxes and some games.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; Oct 12, 2007 at 06:09 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 12, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yes. Also for a few of my friends.
Me too... It usually gets you a good free dinner

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 11:21 AM

A year ago I moved across the country. I'm now 2,000+ miles away from my family. Since then, the amount of free computer support I've had to give my family has dropped precipitously.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
My grandfather will not upgrade his computer, no matter what. He continues to use his Commodore 64 for taxes and some games.
Seriously?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2007, 11:39 AM

Weekly.

theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2007, 11:53 AM

I only give free support to my parents & brother and sister.
The only other people are very very close friends, who most of which are just as smart with computers so I never really have to worry.

When I visited family in New York I did help my aunt with her computer, all I need was run virus scan, ad-ware, and spybot, on a PC of course. It found 8 viruses, 2 (maybe 3) trojans, 2k spyware, and 200-300 from spybot. Lets just say when I was done the computer actually loaded things when you doubled clicked on them instead of taking a few minutes.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2007, 07:30 PM

My father is more the "go-to" guy on computer issues. I love my dad and growing up he was a techie that taught me almost everything I knew.

My father worked for a computer consulting company when I was growing up, they also sold computers. At one point he actually had an offer to work with Apple but declined because he didn't want to move the family.

I remember being about 7 or 8 and him opening up his Mac tower (can't remember what the model was) and showing me what the "RAM, HD, etc. was" obviously he simplified it down, but it was still a great experience.

I bought my first mac when I was 12 and he helped me with everything I needed, he really taught me a lot. He took me to MacWorld twice (we live in Arkansas and we flew to San Fran) just for the fun of it.

I sometimes feel bad for him though, he gets calls from my uncle (his brother) and my grandfathers all the time. He is a very generous person and has committed large amounts of time and weekends to helping them for free.

Now my dad and I both have our "specialties". I'm probably more up to date in some of the emerging technologies. However he can still kick my butt in coding, networking and general micro knowledge. It's actually a fun part of our relationship now. I'm married now, so he loves using the iSights to stay in touch.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2007, 09:16 PM

I give free support to family and friends that I have brought over from the dark side.

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2007, 09:46 PM

I'll give free support to family members, but the one question I hate the most is:

"What's this thing on my screen?"

Impossible to diagnose over the phone. My usual response is: "How do you like the shirt I'm wearing?"

I got frustrated enough to purchase Apple's Remote Desktop just to easily connect to my father's computer (among others). I also upgraded my internet connection to an 8 mb connection so I can work faster.

Still, I guess it's what I'm good at.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2007, 10:16 PM

My mom's horrible with computers. I'm helping her all the time. But with Windows
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2007, 11:20 PM

Luckily, not so much. My parents use Windows, and my dad's been using computers since punch cards and time sharing, so he handles that end. My brother uses OS X (a Windows switcher, in fact) and he calls me. But he's amazing: the boy could break a brick. In fact, I think he should go to work for Apple as a tester, as he is able to break OS X and Apple hardware in ways I have never heard of or even imagined. Most of the phone calls start with me saying, "you did WHAT?" and end with me telling him to take what's left of his machine to his local Mac place.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2007, 11:31 AM

In the last year, i've replaced a failed hard drive, ram stick, and dvd drive on my parent's sawtooth G4. The fan on the graphics card is about ready to go and I'm not replacing it.

They both get around OS X fairly well (thank God).

hayesk
Oct 13, 2007, 11:49 AM

I've told any relatives that if they buy a Windows machine, I won't help them even though I could. My wife's aunt told me she had to in order to use the Windows only program for her work. After she bought the windows laptop, I found out the "Windows-only" program was a FileMaker database.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I've told any relatives that if they buy a Windows machine, I won't help them even though I could. My wife's aunt told me she had to in order to use the Windows only program for her work. After she bought the windows laptop, I found out the "Windows-only" program was a FileMaker database.
Ugh. That sucks.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

andi*pandi
Oct 13, 2007, 03:40 PM

I helped him buy a new imac this summer and he's been gradually setting it up with a phone call here and there to me. In fact, I helped my dad yesterday. He has dialup and has been trying to download an app, it is so slow it takes hours and his connection was disconnecting. We finally found the solution via help and shut off the autodisconnect. It's very hard to troubleshoot over the phone, especially now that his computer is newer than mine!

He also thought he had to have outlook to get his earthlink mail, he thought mac mail was only for .mac. Now he's got it set up with earthlink, but swears it wouldn't let him check two accounts. Oh well, his .mac was only on trial anyhow.

but really, he's doing well. My mother and sister use windows and I cringe everytime I have to use their computers and see how much spyware is slowing them down.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Seriously?
Yep.
Signature depreciated.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2007, 11:51 PM

I support:
Parents - OS X 10.3
Sister - Win XP
Grandfather (though passed away 1 yr ago) - OS9.x
Various neighbors, friends and co-workers - Most on Win XP, couple on OS X

Yes... getting tired of calls beginning with, "I have a computer question..."


Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2007, 02:15 AM

Yes... but not on a weekly basis.
Parents: WIndowsXP Home on a Celeron M notebook..
Sister: Mac OS X 10.3.9 on an iBook G3
Sometimes during dinner gathering, relatives started to ask me technology-related questions.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 03:51 AM

I used to pretty regularly, but my dad is finally pretty comfortable with his Windows 2000 laptop that he's had since, oh, the year 2000. My sister knows her way around her G4 iBook about as well as I do (which is pretty damn well), and my mom is smart enough not to touch a computer. Ever.
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Oct 14, 2007 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Sleepy-induced typos)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

philm
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2007, 08:53 AM

Trying to help out relatives makes it obvious that some computer stuff is ridiculously non-intuitive. You want to save it as a PDF file....that's right you have to Print it! Install a program? OK, download it. There's a 'DMG' file on your desktop. OK, right, double click it and you get a 'mounted drive' on the left hand side. It doesn't matter what that's all about. Open it and drag.....OK I'm coming round...

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Trying to help out relatives makes it obvious that some computer stuff is ridiculously non-intuitive. You want to save it as a PDF file....that's right you have to Print it! Install a program? OK, download it. There's a 'DMG' file on your desktop. OK, right, double click it and you get a 'mounted drive' on the left hand side. It doesn't matter what that's all about. Open it and drag.....OK I'm coming round...
I think that many things are far more intuitive than we sometimes give them credit for, but it's the user that won't do it. I have a friend who's a good deal older than I and he has computer troubles all the time. He would call me about dialog boxes, and installations. Things that he very well knew how to do, but he's afraid of messing up the computer so he's a bit paralyzed by anything outside of the norm.

This is a problem with most users I think. Their afraid of their computers because they don't understand them. When something happens that's unusal, their first reaction is to get someone to help, rather than try to understand what the problem is.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2007, 10:17 AM

I got my mom into an original Bondi iMac about 7 years ago, and she's never looked back. I finally upgraded her to something newer, but not much newer. I get an email once in a while with a question, and if she really botches it up, she brings the whole thing over and I go through it like a tornado.
My brother and his wife repeatedly have Windows problems as well as problems with their "built by a computer expert friend" computer. I've done everything but beg them to buy a freaking Mac so I can help them when they have issues, but no dice, they won't do it.
Then a friend of mine tells me that someone he works with refuses to ever use a Mac again, because he bought his college-bound son a Macbook, but it "completely erased an external hard drive all by itself without us clicking anything", I just groaned and walked away.
Then there is my sister who has had Macs for the past 6+ years, but still has NO idea how to use them. She's a creative professional of all things, and manages to botch her system up so badly that the thing barely runs. As a matter of fact, the TiBook I'm writing this on is one she gave to me last year because "It doesn't work anymore". Reformat the hard drive, reinstall OS X, upgrade the RAM, voila, new laptop for me

Tom

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2007, 10:37 AM

My mom is fairly computer literate on a day-to-day basis, but, for whatever reason, she still double-clicks on web links.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 14, 2007, 10:44 AM

Both mom and dad are fairly decent computer users. Mom loves it for the online board games, and dad for the info and ebay.

Both my parents are in their mid to late 60s. My sister talked my mom into getting a Windows machine, and when she did, I told my sister SHE would be giving them tech support. Not me.

I think this next time they are going to buy a Mac mini. They are sick of the spyware/virus garbage on XP.

hart
Senior User
Oct 14, 2007, 12:02 PM

I managed to convert my mother and sister to Macs. I was frequently on tech support before that but at least now I know what I'm doing. My sister's pretty good and I only end up helping her with more esoteric stuff (altho it makes me crazy that she's still running OSX on the original minimal RAM in her lampshade imac.)

My mother just decided she doesn't understand computers and that's that. I've tried to explain that she doesn't have to sign on to earthlink web mail to check her mail to no avail. I think AOL blighted her understanding of the web forever. She's got the whole folder problem too as does my husband. The idea that you can CHOOSE where to save things seems to be incomprehensible. One of my pet peeves is a desktop littered with every file ever created by the user.

My other favorite is a conversation that begins "(name of application or hardware here) doesn't work." OK, what happened when you tried to use it "It just doesn't work."....

Some of my neighbors figured out I can help but at least they offer to buy me lunch or something.

Of course, I'm the IT department for the kids but I look on it as an educational process. I just finished fishing out a persistant trojan from our one Windows machine that probably arose out of surfing obscure paper doll dress-up sites written entirely in Korean.

My impression is that people go into it with the idea that computers are incomprehensible. The core skill for a techie is being willing to look into the folders and see what's there, to press buttons and click arrows and see what happens and most people just don't do that. I know little or nothing about the structure of the Windows OS but I can still muck about in it's virtual or actual guts to fix stuff that gets messed up simply because I am open to DOING so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules