Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > eBay Question - Weird Situation

eBay Question - Weird Situation
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 12:38 PM

I'm selling my barely-used Wii, 7 games, and accessories. A bidder said he'd be willing to Buy It Now if my B.I.N. price was $450 instead of $475. I was going to change the Buy It Now price before anyone bid on it, but someone has already done so. We were exchanging messages up to that point.

This is his last message:

Well, someone already bid on it, so that wouldn't work anymore, but I could bid on it, (higher than the last bid) then you end the listing and "give the auction to the highest bidder", then I will request the real total from you and you can adjust it to the $475. Just wait for me to bid on it first. Thanks.
Is it even possible to do this, or is this guy trying to scam me?

*ahem* And, yes...I am really selling another game system. I haven't played a video game in over two months, so I'm selling both my Wii and PSP so I can save up enough money for a Canon 24mm f/1.4L lens.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 12:40 PM

This is eBay. I wouldn't trust anyone. If you have a reserve and it fails to hit, I'd maybe relist it with the reduced buy it now then. Otherwise, go with the flow, I think.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 12:41 PM

Yeah, that was my inclination. The guy's history is really good, but I treat everyone on eBay as a potential criminal.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2008, 12:43 PM

I would always stay within the system rules. If he wants to bid it up to $450 let him. If it goes past, you'll have more money.

I've seen way too many people be burned to trust all this behind the scenes stuff.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 12:46 PM

To me, messing with eBay feels like investing in rolling stocks. Way too much stress involved.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 01:50 PM

Let them bid, period. You'll get more dough.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 02:07 PM

I am glad I dont sell high dollar items on e-bay... it would be way to stressful...

follow the rules and the chance of getting burned decreases...

-Zach

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 03:12 PM

Don't change it. eBay is huge, there's always someone who'll want it.

Also, only deal with PayPal or Cashier's Cheques from a major bank, and ship only after the cheque has cleared. Only deal with people in your own country.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Cashier's Cheques from a major bank, and ship only after the cheque has cleared. Only deal with people in your own country.
That doesn't help you. I've seen fake Cashier's checks that fooled a bank (and yes they were from a major bank). When that happens, it takes a bank time after it supposedly cleared to figure out what happens and then when it does, it will take the money out of your account.

I only deal with cash or paypal. Cash for craigslist, paypal for ebay and even then its got to be verified and someone who has a good feedback history.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I only deal with cash or paypal. Cash for craigslist, paypal for ebay and even then its got to be verified and someone who has a good feedback history.
X2

any in person transactions I use cash... I dont plan on selling ANYTHING on e-bay that is worth more then $100 and paypal does just fine...

paypal or cash for me too...

-Zach

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 05:31 PM

That doesn't help you. I've seen fake Cashier's checks that fooled a bank (and yes they were from a major bank). When that happens, it takes a bank time after it supposedly cleared to figure out what happens and then when it does, it will take the money out of your account.
The best way is to only accept US postal MOs and cash them at the post office before shipping the item. Works every time.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 05:57 PM

To answer your question, yes its legal, do-able, and within eBay rules, but it's a tactic I use to get cheap prices, so if I were you, I'd wait.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks, guys. I believe you may have saved me from quite a bit of trouble. Here is the next email he sent (before I even agreed to do this).

Q: Ok, I put the bid in and I am the current high bidder. Now just end the listing and "give it to the highest bidder." Then send me an invoice for the $475 including shipping and handling. (By the way, it will come up on the listing as less than $450, but you will send the invoice for $450 plus $25 shipping.) 1 more thing, could you possibly send it by USPS mail with insurance? If it is sent by UPS, then it is only protected up to $100, and it is worth more than that. Just let me know. Thanks.
Kind of demanding, wasn't he?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 06:49 PM

Oh...I forgot to add...

Someone has already bid $455, which is more than the amount he had "maxed out" on.

Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 06:50 PM

No, he's just walking you through it.

Of course, if you never agreed in the first place, then yeah, thats demanding.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 08:24 PM

Nope. Never agreed. He's a very pushy little fellow.

I'm so glad I didn't go through with that. There's 6 days left in the auction, and it has climbed to near $500 in the first day.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The best way is to only accept US postal MOs and cash them at the post office before shipping the item. Works every time.
I don't trust any paper checks. My sister-in-law works at a bank and she tells me the horror stories of folks who get taken all of the time. It doesn't matter what, some scammers can forge any bank check, or MO.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2008, 08:38 PM

Whatever happened to the ubiquity and insistence on using escrow.com?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 11:17 PM

I don't trust any paper checks. My sister-in-law works at a bank and she tells me the horror stories of folks who get taken all of the time. It doesn't matter what, some scammers can forge any bank check, or MO.
That's why you cash it at the PO, not deposit it. If you cash it they can trace it right there and see if it's fake, if it turns out ok then you have the money immediately without risk.

Like I said, postal MOs are the safest payment.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2008, 11:23 PM

Hmm, I think I might sell my wii on ebay now. I'm surprised they're still selling for that much, especially used systems. I have a very similar game/accessory setup as you and I haven't used mine in months.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2008, 12:40 AM

Go for it, Teronzhul. If you haven't played it in months (like me), then you obviously aren't going to take too big of a hit by putting it on eBay. It's better to sell it now while supplies are still low than a year from now, when supply will likely match demand...not to mention the possibility of a price cut in the future.

nerd
Senior User
Feb 26, 2008, 12:46 AM

I'd also let the auction go and see how high it goes. I've listed things with buy it now and after bidding it sells for more then what I had the buy it now price set at.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That's why you cash it at the PO, not deposit it. If you cash it they can trace it right there and see if it's fake, if it turns out ok then you have the money immediately without risk.

Like I said, postal MOs are the safest payment.
That may be so but you are limited to the amount that the MO can be if memory serves me. Still doesn't seem as safe as using cash or paypal.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2008, 02:59 PM

That may be so but you are limited to the amount that the MO can be if memory serves me. Still doesn't seem as safe as using cash or paypal.
They can be made up to $1,000 each, but you can get several. Since it's not wise to send cash through the mail, and some instances paypal funds can still be charged back or frozen, cashing a postal money order at a post office is the safest form of payment for the seller.
- Thomas Paine

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2008, 06:17 PM

I did put my wii up for sale, and have gotten two similar offers to Jawbone inside of about 30 hours to end the auction early. I guess this is common practice now with tards on eBay trying to get stuff cheap. I won't be ending it early, just adding my experience.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 08:13 PM

Now that you've been through this thread, doesn't it get under your skin, Teronzhul?

Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 08:15 PM

I dont get why it bothers you so much. Just don't accept the offer. It is a buying tactic that is within eBay rules.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 08:20 PM

Because they're saying, "Look, why don't you toss out what's best for you and help me get this item for $100 less than you could if you just let the auction run out."

The question is just wasting both the seller and buyer's time, not to mention it's a bit offensive.

I should amend my original story to include the fact that the auction does NOT actually have a Buy It Now price. The guy just wanted me to end it, period.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2008, 08:21 PM

Yeah, it is a bit irritating. I wonder how often they're able to take advantage of people in this way? Of course this is ebay we're talking about...

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 09:06 PM

eBay is like a strange, alternate universe.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The question is just wasting both the seller and buyer's time, not to mention it's a bit offensive.
Naw. It'd only be offensive if he called you a pantywaist when he asked. Like "Hey, pantywaist, give me your goods for $100 below value".

In which case I think it's legal to burn his house down and take all his money. Or something. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 11:14 PM

I've been called things worse than "pantywaste" on eBay...

The whole "I didn't respond to a question quickly enough" incident of 2007 was very interesting. Never mind the fact that I was in a poor town in Mexico at the time he asked...

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 11:45 PM

WTF happened to your bids, weren't they higher yesterday?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 04:33 PM

That's what I was wondering. It was at $455, and suddenly went back down to $450. I'm expecting another bid or two before it's done, but we'll see within the next few minutes...

A few more watchers have been added, so that's a good sign.

Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 04:34 PM

someone cancelled their bid.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 04:41 PM

Exactly. The guy with the current highest bid is the guy who wanted me to cancel the auction. If he's still willing to go for it, I don't mind selling to him, especially since we've gone through the proper channels now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules