Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Remove Boot Camp Disk Image

Remove Boot Camp Disk Image
asodamiac
Senior User
May 15, 2008, 04:18 AM

Is there a way to remove the boot camp disk image from the Mac OS X desktop?

Thanks.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

ibook_steve
May 15, 2008, 12:03 PM

I think you mean the Boot Camp *partition*, not disk image. A disk image is a disk container that you can mount and unmount from the desktop that you use usually get when you download software to install. You could turn off the viewing of disk partitions on your desktop. Go to the Finder menu, select Preferences, and turn off hard disks. But this removes all hard disks from your desktop.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 15, 2008, 12:12 PM

I do not want to delete the partition, just remove the boot camp hard drive icon from my desktop. I only use my boot camp partition to play some video games. I don't think I'll need to access the files from Mac OS X at any point.

If I unmount the drive, will I still be able to restart into boot camp from OS X?

Thanks for your help Steve.
Dell 2408WFP

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2008, 12:40 PM

You could write an AppleScript that unmounts the Boot Camp disk, save it as an applet and add it to your start up items. That way, every time you log into Mac OS, the Boot Camp icon will disappear.

Applications > AppleScript > Script Editor.app
Code:
tell application "Finder" eject "Boot Camp Drive Name" end tell

Out of curiosity, how much does that one icon bother you? Might be simpler to just ignore it? Chances are that if you use NTFS with XP or Vista, you can't edit / mess it up from Mac OS X anyway.

I haven't tried it myself, but I think unmounting the BootCamp volume will prevent Startup Disk (System Preferences) from seeing it.

That said, the workaround is trivial - after pressing the power button, press [Option] so that the Mac detects all bootable volumes.

ibook_steve
May 15, 2008, 01:46 PM

OK, you want to unmount it and not see just it. Well, I don't think you even need the Applescript. The right-click menu on the drive may have eject. Once it's unmounted, you can always go into Disk Utility to remount if necessary.

As for rebooting and holding option, I'm sure ejecting previously would not prevent the partition from appearing in the boot selection screen.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2008, 12:15 AM

Thanks guys. I can live with it, but I just like leaving my desktop clutter free as possible. Call it anal, but I dunno, that's just how things are for me

Another issue I seem to be having with boot camp is that my internet is REALLY laggy when running boot camp. I've tried wireless and even connected my iMac directly to the router (which requires a 25 foot long ethernet cord) and it is still very laggy. I may even dare to say it's slower than 56k at times! Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, so I'll ask here first.

Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks again.
Dell 2408WFP

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2008, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
OK, you want to unmount it and not see just it. Well, I don't think you even need the Applescript. The right-click menu on the drive may have eject. Once it's unmounted, you can always go into Disk Utility to remount if necessary.
Yep, you definitely don't need an AppleScript just to unmount a drive - just press Cmd+E to eject.

However, if you want something that works automatically every time you log in, this will work better.

Perhaps there's some application running on Windows that takes up a lot of CPU / bandwidth? I've no problems with Bootcamp running full speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules