Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" Penryn MBP - Sound Issues Fixed?

15" Penryn MBP - Sound Issues Fixed?
naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2008, 01:20 PM

Hi guys

Had my 15" MBP for about a month now, and I like it a lot!

Term's ending soon, so I'm thinking of sending it in for repair:

1) There's this persistent buzzing whenever the OS is playing some sound. It's not so bad with pop songs, but it can get really distracting with classical/quieter pieces.

2) Un-muting the system usually results in a jump straight to 50% or so, and this causes a very annoying and jarring pop sound (the one that tells you how loud the system is)

I've read of (1) before, and am wondering if it's already been fixed with the latest systems / repairs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm hoping that (2) is a software issue that can be fixed. Does anyone else have this issue?

Many thanks!

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 09:47 AM

Anyone?

tiger
Forum Regular
May 26, 2008, 01:18 PM

I had this issue in the macbook pro I just ordered.... I just figured it was the headphones I was using

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 01:43 PM

I really notice #2 when using iPod headphones plugged in, but when I use a nicer pair of Grado headphones I only get #1 some of the time, usually it's a high-pitched whine. Very annoying. I have one of these: Laptop Sound Card - Audio Advantage Micro that I plug in since it doesn't have the problem.

Edit: I have a refurb 15" Penryn MBP I bought about a month ago.

mindwaves
May 26, 2008, 03:16 PM

I have none of the above issues and I have a newly bought 2.4 Penryn MBP.

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the replies! I don't know what to expect really; some new machines still seem to have it, others don't.

Might it be down to the ears? The loud pop is definitely unmistakeable though. Very annoying and probably harmful!

I've emailed AppleCare and they say their technicians have never had any walk-ins with those issues. They are investigating though, so hopefully they find something!

Will keep you guys posted

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 26, 2008, 10:53 PM

Yeah honestly you probably wouldn't be able to hear 90% of the issue in a noisy Apple store. I find it rather annoying though if I'm in a quiet environment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules