Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MobileMe with existing email accounts?

MobileMe with existing email accounts?
shaun3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 11:21 PM

This may not be published anywhere but just in case, here's my question:

I already have an email address that I'd like to keep for the foreseeable future. Will I be able to set MobileMe to check this account (it's IMAP) and use it to push to my various devices? I would imagine you could but I haven't seen anything that says one way or the other.

Like I said, we're going on 10 hours since it was announced so the information just may not have been made public, yet...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 11:23 PM

If you have .mac, you should have received the email from Apple about it. It's also on the website.

Yu keep your .mac addres but also get a .me one.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 11:30 PM

That’s not his question – he’s asking if, for example, you could use a Gmail account with MobileMe.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2008, 11:39 PM

I think he wants to know if you can use another email account, say Gmail, with MobileMe.

EDIT: Guess Sage beat me to it.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

shaun3000  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 11:47 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I'm asking. I would certainly hope existing .mac members aren't left out in the cold. (I understand that is not the case)

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2008, 03:44 AM

I think you can set your existing email address to automatically forward to the MobileMe address. You'll end up with duplicates (one on the existing address and another on MobileMe), but you should enjoy the push functionality too

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by naphtali View Post
I think you can set your existing email address to automatically forward to the MobileMe address. You'll end up with duplicates (one on the existing address and another on MobileMe), but you should enjoy the push functionality too
Do you have to forward your existing mail to your MobileMe address or can you configure MobileMe so that it picks up email from other POP/IMAP accounts on a regular basis (like every 5 min or so)?

keesvanbemmel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2008, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Do you have to forward your existing mail to your MobileMe address or can you configure MobileMe so that it picks up email from other POP/IMAP accounts on a regular basis (like every 5 min or so)?
That is exactly what I would want to know. Even though MobileMe is a great service, the lack of this feature would mean yet another mail address.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 06:43 AM

Based on what I read here: Mobile Me KB You do get to keep your .mac address. Also if you don't have one when you sign up for mobile me, you can get one (a .mac address) if you want.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Based on what I read here: Mobile Me KB You do get to keep your .mac address. Also if you don't have one when you sign up for mobile me, you can get one (a .mac address) if you want.
Umm...

Originally Posted by Sage
That’s not his question – he’s asking if, for example, you could use a Gmail account with MobileMe.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:38 AM

The iPhone works with all IMAP e-mail accounts, so you don't need MobileMe.

And .Mac can already check external e-mail accounts via POP, so there is no reason to believe MobileMe won't be able to.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 07:50 AM

I think the difference is that it will have the push email capability like the blackberry.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2008, 07:55 AM

Most e-mail accounts support IMAP IDLE. Is the MobileMe e-mail any different technically?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 01:27 PM

Does MobileMe require your desktop to be running any time you want push email? Or are you forced to give Apple's servers your email credentials? Or do you have the option between those two?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Does MobileMe require your desktop to be running any time you want push email? Or are you forced to give Apple's servers your email credentials?
Why should your desktop be running? Their servers already hold all your @me.com email. They don't need any credentials. You will need to authenticate with them in order for them to push to your iPhone or web session.
( Last edited by Simon; Jun 10, 2008 at 01:43 PM. )

pvonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The iPhone works with all IMAP e-mail accounts, so you don't need MobileMe.

And .Mac can already check external e-mail accounts via POP, so there is no reason to believe MobileMe won't be able to.
.Mac can only check an external POP account within Webmail, when you initiate the action. It won't work in your Mail client, or do it automatically. As for iPhone working with all IMAP email accounts, does it work as push?
- Pierre
--------------------
PB G4 1.33 GHz, 1 GB ram, OSX 10.3

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Why should your desktop be running? Their servers already hold all your @me.com email. They don't need any credentials. You will need to authenticate with them in order for them to push to your iPhone or web session.
I meant for your non-me.com accounts.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
.Mac can only check an external POP account within Webmail, when you initiate the action. It won't work in your Mail client, or do it automatically. As for iPhone working with all IMAP email accounts, does it work as push?
You can however have your other email accounts forward everything to .Mac. I have several mail accounts at the university where I work. I forward all of them to an address on a mail server I run myself. Works fine.

spendiff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 12:44 PM

I had a quick look into this and came to the conclusion that the contrived forwarding schemes were too much hassle to pay for. Also, it's important to me that my business e-mail address appears on outgoing mail. So, I went for the compromise of setting up a yahoo address (with free push) and forwarding to it. Now I just manually pull from the IMAP business account when the notification pops up from the Yahoo account. I have to spend a couple of seconds deleting from the yahoo notification account but this is balanced by having push mail and a better battery life than when the IMAP business acc was pulling every 15 mins.

Forum Links
Forum Rules