Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Any tips on Making Win 7 64 install ona mac pro 1.1?

Any tips on Making Win 7 64 install ona mac pro 1.1?
synthfiend
Jun 30, 2011, 09:30 AM

I've got a full license for Windows 7 64 Ultimate, yet, when I try to boot the mac with it, no dice. I set up my 12 core@work without any trouble. I suspect it's the EFI32, and someone suggested I slipstream the disc. Any idea what that means?

Thanks for any tips.

ibook_steve
Jun 30, 2011, 01:45 PM

I'm assuming you are talking about using Boot Camp to be able to boot into Windows using Boot Camp Assistant. Can you tell us the steps you've followed and what is actually failing? More details are needed to help troubleshoot.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

synthfiend  (op)
Jun 30, 2011, 04:36 PM

Sorry!
I'm on a Mac Pro 1.1 (2006), have partitioned a drive for bootcamp, then when boot camp assistant reboots to install windows, I get an error that says: "Press any key to boot from CD". No key on the keyboard works, and the screen hangs there. Apple wouldn't help, but did suggest I look here to see if I could find someone to help me with making a special Windows DVD that would boot my Mac Pro 1.1.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2011, 04:46 PM

This after the initial Windows install, not right after Boot Camp assistant asks for you to insert the install disk, correct?

Do it over: Delete the Boot Camp partition, and then set up a new one, and THIS TIME, BEFORE the initial install, tell the Windows install disk to format the partition in question (quick format is okay).

I've never installed W7 under Boot Camp, but I saw this happen all the time with XP, and telling the installer to (re-)format the partition worked, every time.

ibook_steve
Jun 30, 2011, 04:56 PM

Apple told you to come to our little forum? Interesting...and very strange.

Spheric's idea is sound. Try it out.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2011, 05:06 PM

What Spheric Harlot says. Formatting the Boot Camp disk with the Boot Camp Assistant didn't work for me. Formatting it with the Windows install disk did.

So I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my Mac Pro 1,1. No issues so far *

If problem persists, this might help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

But if I say I will not mention Him… � Blog Archive � Install Windows 7 x64 on a Mac (beat the “Select CD-ROM Boot Type” error!)

* The only issue afterwards happens when you have Windows 7 already installed and running and you try to install the Boot Camp x64 drivers from e.g. the Snow Leopard DVD, you'll get a message saying you can't install such software in your Mac (due to the EFI32). What you do to get the Apple Boot Camp controllers installed is:

In the Windows 7 Start Menu Type "cmd", then right-click on the program that appears and choose "Run As Administrator".

Then enter:

D:
cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi

The installer will proceed. Once the installer is done you can download and install the Boot Camp x64 updates if needed.

synthfiend  (op)
Jun 30, 2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl tonight...

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2011, 06:50 AM

Windows installers are pretty stupid in some things. They assume that if a partition is marked NTFS that it is also formatted that way and do not check if that is true. So at that point in the installation, the process either gets to start using stuff that "was written" to the partition, or it fails because the installer never cheated for write success either...

Spheric's suggestion worksbin previous Windows versions for that reason, and should work here. One note though; do not manually partition the drive-have Boot Camp do it. Things don't run well when you have manually partitioned the drive first.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules