Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 3400c Hang ........

Powerbook 3400c Hang ........
presspics
Jun 4, 2001, 12:55 PM

Hello, I recently purchased a 3400c/200 with 80MB RAM. When I start it up there is a 15 second hang after the startup chime where nothing happens. After the 15 seconds the LCD lights up and it then boots normally. I have replaced the PRAM battery,did a clean install of OS8.5,zapped the PRAM,rebuilt the desktop,made sure to select the startup disk in the control panel. No change!. I then upgraded it to OS9.1 with all the above maintainence still the hang remains. Is this normal for the 3400c? I don't recall my 5300c having a hang like that..

presspics  (op)
Jun 8, 2001, 01:09 AM

bump! Anyone have any ideas???

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by presspics:
<STRONG>Hello, I recently purchased a 3400c/200 with 80MB RAM. When I start it up there is a 15 second hang after the startup chime where nothing happens. After the 15 seconds the LCD lights up and it then boots normally. I have replaced the PRAM battery,did a clean install of OS8.5,zapped the PRAM,rebuilt the desktop,made sure to select the startup disk in the control panel. No change!. I then upgraded it to OS9.1 with all the above maintainence still the hang remains. Is this normal for the 3400c? I don't recall my 5300c having a hang like that.. </STRONG>
Hi Presspics,
Try going to the memory control panel and disabling the "startup memory tests". When selecting the memory control panel, hold the &lt;apple&gt;+&lt;option&gt; keys. Sometimes this can cause long delays as the system checks the memory.
let us know if this works...
good luck
dave

presspics  (op)
Jun 8, 2001, 09:44 AM

Thanks..That is one of the first things I tried. It didn't help...

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by presspics:
<STRONG>Thanks..That is one of the first things I tried. It didn't help...</STRONG>
Hi Presspics,
The other possibility is that you need to run anyone of the disk maintenance programs to optimize/rebuild your directory (it could be that the directory is very fragmented, which would lead to a delay in finding all of the necessary info tostart up right away). The other option is to try optimizing the whole disk, or as a last resort, back everything up, reformat the hard drive, and start from scratch (I find that this is almost always the best thing to do --- although not the most time efficient --- but it does take care of bad sectors/blocks that a disk utility might not be able to fix/repair/lock out, that might get bad data written to it)....
best of luck and let us know if anything works...
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules