Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread

Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread (Page 9)
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2017, 03:57 PM

Could also just be that the media has run out of new topics to hysteriamonger with.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2017, 03:33 AM

^^ That. They've realized, finally, that it's not helped them in the least. People are still abandoning old MSM in droves and soon they'll need to cut deeply just to keep the lights on. Serves them right.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2017, 08:36 AM

So, how do people feel about POTUS using govt websites to advertise Maralago?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Or how far are people going to let him go with promoting his own crap and awarding sweet deals to his own companies before they reprimand him?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2017, 09:22 AM

That's really stretching things. Mentioning Maralago as a place that Trump visits often (very true) is hardly an advertisement.

I can't get over how the MSM is seemingly working overtime to destroy their credibility at a time when new media is kicking their asses and confidence in them is at an all-time low. I know they're grasping at any straw they can to try and get him ousted, for anything (since the whole Russia thing blew up in their faces), but this is pitiful. Congress isn't going to impeach him, and that's that.

andi*pandi
Apr 25, 2017, 09:33 AM

It wasn't just a factual mention, like "The president is spending another weekend at Maralago." It was a full article about the merits of Maralago. "Find out more about this awesome place the president goes!" They have pulled it down now. I do believe it fell short of having an actual "book your stay now" button, but come on. Are you seriously trying to deflect this BS on the MSM? If Obama had used the white house to sell stuff you'd be all blasé about that too?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2017, 09:37 AM

It's totally normal to spotlight your own property and not even disclose you own it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2017, 10:21 AM

Here's the site it was from.

https://share.america.gov/

1) No one, even glancingly, has ever given a flying **** about this website.

2) They can't steal everything from PBS, so they fill in the gaps with "human interest" stories about our leaders.

3) Trump's fancy shit is more interesting than he is.

Conclusion: some poor kid who would rather be working at PBS instead of the State Department pulled the best out of their ass that they could, and now they hate their life even more.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2017, 02:45 PM

It wasn't just a factual mention, like "The president is spending another weekend at Maralago." It was a full article about the merits of Maralago. "Find out more about this awesome place the president goes!" They have pulled it down now. I do believe it fell short of having an actual "book your stay now" button, but come on. Are you seriously trying to deflect this BS on the MSM? If Obama had used the white house to sell stuff you'd be all blasé about that too?
Obama used the white house to sell stuff - he just cut out the advertising part and kept it on the down low as much as possible.

Like how the 678 million dollar ACA website contract went to a company run by a close connection of Michelle's from Princeton (that ended up failing spectacularly anyways).

Michelle Obama and CGI Federal - FactCheck.org

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2017, 04:00 PM

I expect better than "both sides do it" from you.

Also, apples and oranges.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I expect better than "both sides do it" from you.
As you should and you're right.

However, this was a direct response to the statement "If Obama had used the white house to sell stuff". I was just being predictably all blasé about it.
Also, apples and oranges.
True. One speaks of a business on a webpage in a positive light, the other involved $680 million in taxpayer money.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2017, 07:18 PM

Obama played golf a lot less and cost a fraction in security to the taxpayer due to his family and holiday habits and was torn to shreds regularly by RW media for both. If he had tried to sell his own brand of snake oil with so much as a picture of the White House on the label let alone via government websites, I'm sure a few heads would have actually popped.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2017, 07:59 PM

It wasn't just a factual mention, like "The president is spending another weekend at Maralago." It was a full article about the merits of Maralago. "Find out more about this awesome place the president goes!" They have pulled it down now. I do believe it fell short of having an actual "book your stay now" button, but come on. Are you seriously trying to deflect this BS on the MSM?
Yes. I'll deflect it onto the MSM. I feel Rickrolled.

The only way an important person at State would have anything to do with that website is as punishment. It's an embarrassing piece of shit.

Some intern thought this story was a good idea, and nobody stopped them because that's literally how unimportant this site is to State.

The accurate headline is "Peon ****s Up Blog Post on Lamest Federal Website Ever".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
True. One speaks of a business on a webpage in a positive light
That's one hell of an undersell. Kudos
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 25, 2017 at 10:20 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2017, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Yes. I'll deflect it onto the MSM. I feel Rickrolled.

The only way an important person at State would have anything to do with that website is as punishment. It's an embarrassing piece of shit.

Some intern thought this story was a good idea, and nobody stopped them because that's literally how unimportant this site is to State.

The accurate headline is "Peon ****s Up Blog Post on Lamest Federal Website Ever".
This wouldn't be a story if it wasn't a blatant conflict of interest. The media wouldn't be able to make jack out of this otherwise. This also would be less noteworthy if they hadn't doubled the price of maralagos membership and touted it as a great place to mingle with the president.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2017, 11:32 PM

That's one hell of an undersell. Kudos
We'll go to the other extreme and call it a full scale endorsement. Still don't think its the same and handing over a $680 million contract to your wife's college buddy. It might be forgivable if it hadn't failed spectacularly and they have to throw another billion+ at it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/techono.../#788fce12644f

Again, just being predictably blase about it as requested.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2017, 07:48 AM

Subego, You think interns have that much leeway? I do feel for whoever had to post it, but the way the web works, even the most boring sites have committees that go over content. I imagine a different scenario where said lowly intern is presented with a memo that says, "talk up Maralago, do it now, do it fast." Perhaps it was even written by maralago PR and intern just had to copy/paste. Whatever. Still not ok.

Snow-i, I'm sure Donald has lots of other discreet deals going on. We'll find out about them. But interesting that you'd excuse the upfront blatant ones...

BLASÉ has an accent in it people.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2017, 12:09 PM

We'll go to the other extreme and call it a full scale endorsement. Still don't think its the same and handing over a $680 million contract to your wife's college buddy. It might be forgivable if it hadn't failed spectacularly and they have to throw another billion+ at it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/techono.../#788fce12644f

Again, just being predictably blase about it as requested.
Who requested you being blasé?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2017, 02:16 PM

I imagine a different scenario where said lowly intern is presented with a memo that says, "talk up Maralago, do it now, do it fast."
Was "and put it on that website no one has ever read" trying to mitigate damage from this ridiculous directive, or incompetent pursuit of it?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2017, 02:26 PM

This wouldn't be a story if it wasn't a blatant conflict of interest.
I'm not questioning whether there's a conflict, I'm questioning the degree.

Maybe everyone else knows when they see "State Department Website", that means the thing doesn't actually say "State Department" on it, and is home to literal Sesame Street level content.

I didn't. I had to look.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2017, 03:39 PM

Was "and put it on that website no one has ever read" trying to mitigate damage from this ridiculous directive, or incompetent pursuit of it?
"Yo intern, Put it on that website that is full of other fluffy filler and maybe no one will notice. We are not so completely insane to think we could get away with that on whitehouse.gov... unless... we could replace that top nav Camp David link... who would ever click on that?"

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2017, 04:55 PM

"Maybe no one will see it" is fundamentally incompatible with advertising.

andi*pandi
Apr 26, 2017, 05:10 PM

In trying to put ourselves in the shoes of crazy people, who says they have to suddenly also be smart and logical?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 26, 2017, 06:25 PM

"Maybe no one will see it" is fundamentally incompatible with advertising.
It was on the UK website. We weren't supposed to see it, not nobody.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2017, 04:27 PM

Who requested you being blasé?
Originally Posted by andi
If Obama had used the white house to sell stuff you'd be all blasé about that too?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2017, 04:31 PM

"Yo intern, Put it on that website that is full of other fluffy filler and maybe no one will notice. We are not so completely insane to think we could get away with that on whitehouse.gov... unless... we could replace that top nav Camp David link... who would ever click on that?"
Do you really think this was a directive from the top? Sounds more to me like an intern was just trying to impress his boss.

The funny part is, had no one cried foul all of maybe 10 people would have seen this. Now everyone has seen it. How's that for advertising

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2017, 06:18 PM

Barbra Streisand couldn't have done better.

andi*pandi
Apr 27, 2017, 08:02 PM

Frankly I was just trying to see things from Subego's perspective, the way his argument was going, some interns fault. I doubt that. The whole thing is silly. It's silly that we have to have the conversation, because in all the other presidents in my lifetime, I can't recall a single one making a bigger deal out of going to non-govt property. GHW Bush went to Kennebunkport, sure, which was both annoying and prestigious for the locals... but he didn't charge guests to visit him there or have $500 gold-plated lobster dinners. W Bush also probably had a pretty laid back atmosphere in Texas, no dude ranch rodeo packages and spa treatments.

Why does Trump? He's making a buck, plainly. And I repeat myself, but if you aren't concerned about that, you have on blinders.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 08:46 AM

It was on the UK website. We weren't supposed to see it, not nobody.
And Brits with £180K in disposable income read websites with such provocative and insightful stories like "What Does a Vice President Do" between their crumpet nibbles.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 08:58 AM

In trying to put ourselves in the shoes of crazy people, who says they have to suddenly also be smart and logical?
Gee, that's a mightily convenient argument.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 09:54 AM

Isn't the idea the website is vetted by people in control one of those "smart and logical" type doo-hickeys?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 11:13 AM

£155K. Pound's not that bad.

Yet.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 02:07 PM

Frankly I was just trying to see things from Subego's perspective, the way his argument was going, some interns fault. I doubt that. The whole thing is silly. It's silly that we have to have the conversation, because in all the other presidents in my lifetime, I can't recall a single one making a bigger deal out of going to non-govt property.
I agree, we have much bigger fish to fry. Past presidents have all had their fair share of this kind of thing, most times explainable the same way it is here.

Hell, even Obama is on sale for Wall-Street now.

GHW Bush went to Kennebunkport, sure, which was both annoying and prestigious for the locals... but he didn't charge guests to visit him there or have $500 gold-plated lobster dinners. W Bush also probably had a pretty laid back atmosphere in Texas, no dude ranch rodeo packages and spa treatments.
Why does Trump? He's making a buck, plainly. And I repeat myself, but if you aren't concerned about that, you have on blinders.
I mean, who's got the blinders? Trump already has more money than we'll ever see in our lifetimes - just what is his motivation for putting up a potential conflict on a website no one will see? To make a few more dollars he does not need? I just have a really hard time believe Trump had anything to do with this article, aside maybe someone low on the totem pole trying to win his good grace. Do you really, honestly believe he had anything to do with this article? The president? Directing article contents on obscure state department websites? My company's US office has like 30 people, and our CEO is never directly involved with our blogs or specific marketing materials. You're talking about the president of the US.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 02:12 PM

Snow-i, I'm sure Donald has lots of other discreet deals going on. We'll find out about them. But interesting that you'd excuse the upfront blatant ones...
Sorry I missed this post. I don't doubt you're right - as president you kinda have to. If I thought Trump had anything to do with this upfront blatant one I'd be right there with you. I just can't see how the president would be involved at all in an obscure post to an obscure website. He's kinda got bigger fish to fry.

BLASÉ has an accent in it people.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 02:13 PM

And Brits with £180K in disposable income read websites with such provocative and insightful stories like "What Does a Vice President Do" between their crumpet nibbles.
I literally spit my coffee out on this one. crumpet nibbles

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2017, 04:05 PM

Trump already has more money than we'll ever see in our lifetimes - just what is his motivation for putting up a potential conflict on a website no one will see?
Why'd he do Trump Steaks or Trump U? He's clearly not the type of person that is looking to achieve a certain level of wealth at which point he'll be satisfied and retire - he's driven and looking to maximize his profits and wealth. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend that he's ever given anyone any kind of indication that he has "enough" and he's laying off the business opportunities.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2017, 04:17 PM

Sure, there are hands off professional CEOs busy with big picture projects... and then there are the narcissistic powerplay types who poke their noses into every little thing, down to the point size on the annual report.*

Which one does Trump remind you of? He has a red button on his desk to order more Coke, FFS.

(*Also they don't like that font. Use Comic Sans.)

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Why'd he do Trump Steaks or Trump U? He's clearly not the type of person that is looking to achieve a certain level of wealth at which point he'll be satisfied and retire - he's driven and looking to maximize his profits and wealth. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend that he's ever given anyone any kind of indication that he has "enough" and he's laying off the business opportunities.
True - I just don't see this article as the type of advancement that would be worthwhile to him or the kind of business opportunity he would personally direct.

It just seems so entry level. Even then, if his hope was to drive business to this hotel, don't you think as president he would direct initiatives that are a bit bigger in scope?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:23 PM

Sure, there are hands off professional CEOs busy with big picture projects... and then there are the narcissistic powerplay types who poke their noses into every little thing, down to the point size on the annual report.*

Which one does Trump remind you of? He has a red button on his desk to order more Coke, FFS.

(*Also they don't like that font. Use Comic Sans.)
I mean, I would hope Trump being as successful and rich as he is wouldn't direct advertisements to obscure state department webpages.

And I just can't believe with everything he's got to deal with he'd even physically have the time to worry about it. It's a huge stretch.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 05:32 PM

Let me put it this way.

What makes it hard for me to swallow this came from the top-down is there are too many ways to actually milk the State Department for anyone to go into the dumpster for ideas like this.

These are villains. Have some respect.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:40 PM

Let me put it this way.

What makes it hard for me to swallow this came from the top-down is there are too many ways to actually milk the State Department for anyone to go into the dumpster for ideas like this.

These are villains. Have some respect.
Exactly

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 30, 2017, 07:55 PM

Round II in amazing Fox trolling

andi*pandi
May 1, 2017, 11:25 AM

Because it worked so well last time! A picture says a thousand words... but no one said those words had to make sense. Yet the idiots will swallow it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 1, 2017, 12:21 PM

True - I just don't see this article as the type of advancement that would be worthwhile to him or the kind of business opportunity he would personally direct.

It just seems so entry level. Even then, if his hope was to drive business to this hotel, don't you think as president he would direct initiatives that are a bit bigger in scope?
I have no opinion on the topic other than that this is more garbage meant to distract everyone from real issues.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 1, 2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I have no opinion on the topic other than that this is more garbage meant to distract everyone from real issues.
Agreed wholeheartedly. It generates clicks though, and the 24/7 news industry can't help itself if it has a chance to get people's outrage going. Outrage = $$$

andi*pandi
May 12, 2017, 12:46 PM

Unpaid volunteers working hand in hand with national park service to promote better relations between park and locals. Working great since the 60s. Trump ordered them to disband committee. WTF.

Possible reasons for doing this, in order of silliness:

Change environmental rules for Cape, for lobbyist buddies;
Increased development for buddies;
sock it to AltNationalPark movement;
sock it to MA in general
Oil has been found off Ptown;
wants to build new floating island off Marconi Beach;
build golf course on Race Point Beach, 18th hole aimed right into the ocean, you win $1000 if you can hit a whale in the head.

If he tries to build a TrumpHotel on the Cape, you are going to see the Minutemen rise again.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201....html#comments

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 12, 2017, 04:58 PM

Unpaid volunteers working hand in hand with national park service to promote better relations between park and locals. Working great since the 60s. Trump ordered them to disband committee. WTF.

Possible reasons for doing this, in order of silliness:

Change environmental rules for Cape, for lobbyist buddies;
Increased development for buddies;
sock it to AltNationalPark movement;
sock it to MA in general
Oil has been found off Ptown;
wants to build new floating island off Marconi Beach;
build golf course on Race Point Beach, 18th hole aimed right into the ocean, you win $1000 if you can hit a whale in the head.

If he tries to build a TrumpHotel on the Cape, you are going to see the Minutemen rise again.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201....html#comments
Your link is behind a paywall. Without being able to read what you're referencing, the rest of your post doesn't really make much sense to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2017, 05:11 PM

White House puts advisory panel for Cape preserve on hold

In an unprecedented move, the Trump administration has ordered the local commission that advises the Cape Cod National Seashore to suspend its meetings until further notice, the first such decree since the 40-mile preserve was founded in 1961.

The order has raised fears that the administration could disband the commission or pack it with new appointees, potentially undermining the sanctuary’s conservation efforts and other environmental protections.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The news came as a shock to many of us,” said Richard Delaney, chairman of the commission and a member since the 1980s. “I’m very concerned. We’ve never had this happen before, even when other administrations went through transitions.”

“A lot of my members are angry, and they don’t understand the implications,” he added.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.

The advisory commission was created at the same time as the Cape Cod National Seashore to mollify concerns about the federal government controlling some 44,000 acres of beaches and bogs that stretch from Chatham to Provincetown.

The commission is composed of representatives from the surrounding six towns, as well as the county, state, and the US Interior Department.

The group has a long history of helping officials navigate a range of delicate issues, from preserving aging dune shacks to allowing vehicles on pristine beaches. But last week, commissioners learned that they must halt their meetings during a Trump administration review.

ADVERTISEMENT

Delaney and other commissioners said they worry about the administration’s intentions, especially given the major cuts President Trump has proposed for the Environmental Protection Agency and his recent executive order to review the establishment of national monuments by his predecessors.

But a spokeswoman for the Interior Department said that the suspension is temporary, and that the commission would probably be cleared to resume its business this summer.

The pause gives Interior Department Secretary Ryan Zinke time to review the “charter and charge” of the Cape Cod commission and similar bodies, she said. The order affects more than 200 similar federal advisory bodies across the country.

“The secretary is committed to restoring trust in the department’s decision-making, and that begins with institutionalizing state and local input and ongoing collaboration, particularly in communities surrounding public lands,” Heather Swift, a spokeswoman for the Interior Department, said in a statement. The review also seeks to “maximize feedback” from committees and “ensure their compliance” with the federal Advisory Committee Act, she said.

“This review process necessitates the temporary postponement of advisory committee meetings,” Swift said.

She said concerns that the Trump administration may be seeking to dilute local input were misplaced.

“It is definitely not an attempt to weaken local voices,” Swift said. “This administration prioritizes local communities over special interests and bureaucrats, and the review is aimed at improving the process.”

Seals are a regular feature of Coast Guard Beach in Eastham, part of the Cape Cod National Seashore.
STEVE HEASLIP/THE CAPE COD TIMES VIA ASSOCIATED PRESS/FILE

Seals are a regular feature of Coast Guard Beach in Eastham, part of the Cape Cod National Seashore.

Commissioners learned about the suspension last week from George E. Price Jr., the longtime superintendent of Cape Cod National Seashore, during his last week on the job. The story was first reported by the Cape Cod Times.

“It is ironic that the last actual message I am sending to all of you is to inform you that all Advisory Commission business . . . has been postponed at this time,” Price wrote the commissioners in an e-mail.

He had no further information about the decision.

“I assume this is related to the transition of the administration,” he wrote.

When reached by phone, Price declined to comment.

Many of the 10 commissioners, who for years have met with federal officials every other month to provide input and seek consensus, are skeptical about the administration’s intentions.

“This could be an attempt to clear the way for less public resistance to the broader exploitation of resources,” said Delaney, who was appointed chair during the Obama administration and could be removed from his position by new appointees.

The commissioners said the panel has helped Cape Cod communities maintain a healthy relationship with the National Park Service, which overseas the national seashore. While the panel’s rulings aren’t binding, the Park Service almost always heeds its advice, they said.

“I’m very worried,” said Sheila Lyons, a commissioner who has represented Barnstable County since 2010.

She recalled how officials from Russia’s park service visited a few years ago and marveled at the volunteer commission’s relationship with the government.

“What makes our country truly great is that we have great institutions, and now, it doesn’t seem that way,” Lyons said. “These institutions are fragile and could collapse.”

Maureen Burgess, who has represented Truro since 2011, noted that her fellow commissioners had already submitted to federal background checks and been approved by the Interior Department.

Commissioners have played a key role in policies approved by the Park Service, such as banning jet skis along the national seashore and off-road vehicles on most of its beaches. The panel also urged the state to require the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station across Cape Cod Bay to do more to contain its spent fuel.

Muffling their voice, Burgess said, would amount to a significant loss for the community.

“It’s upsetting what has happened,” she said.

David Abel can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @davabel.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2017, 08:29 PM

Just a random observation.

This...

Originally Posted by Some Rag
Over a dozen highly placed White House sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity tell us the President is "frustrated by leaks".

...never gets old.

andi*pandi
May 15, 2017, 11:04 AM

Thanks for posting the article, subego. Thought the globe allowed 10 free articles before requiring paywall. Does bugmenot.com still work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules