Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HD Enclosure Overheating?

HD Enclosure Overheating?
tavilach
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 01:48 AM

My HD enclosure doesn't have a fan, and it gets very hot when the HD is running. I've always been afraid to leave it on for hours on end, but for a bunch of reasons, I now want to be able to leave it on 24/7. Would this be a problem? There is solder on some of the parts...I don't want to end up inhaling lead. I also don't want the HD to explode or get messed up. I'm assuming it should be okay, but I wanted to confirm...

I'm using this:
http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDeta...x?q=p:10502248

With a 250 GB Seagate HD.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 03:03 AM

I remember that tookie said something along the lines of current 7200rpm drives not getting hot enough to where they fail. I could be wrong tho

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2006, 03:15 AM

I obviously wouldn't be constantly reading or writing to it, by the way (although I could have read/write periods of a few hours, and sometimes more...for my TV tuner). Again, my two concerns are my safety and the data's safety. Could heating up the HD create any lead fumes?
( Last edited by tavilach; Mar 25, 2006 at 03:27 AM. )
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Forum Links
Forum Rules