Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do long email names not work?

Do long email names not work?
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 02:06 PM

Well for the past 4 years I've been having real problems with email. Email isn't really a big part of my life so I have just managed to live with it. But now that I have moved its starting become annoying. Email would seem to be a pretty basic concept and I don't see how there is much room for it to screw up.

Basically in all the email accounts I have had which is just hotmail and gmail, I have problems recieving messages. I only use web mail; no pop, forwarding or whatever. It seems no one else has these problems. I go through the rounds with microsoft tech support and they tell me to check my spam filter; like I'm an idiot. I go through the rounds with gmail and they tell me to check my forwarding (which is not the case) or blame it on my mail program....but i don't use a mail program, its just webmail. All these tech support just assume I'm computer illiterate and its my fault.

...So I was wondering if anyone has had these problems of not recieving email what they think might be the cuase. I was wondering if having long address names might interfer with delivery. My hotmail address is 12 charachers and the gmail one is 14 characters with a dot in it; 15 if you include the dot.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 02:13 PM

Uhm, I don't know if I ever NOT received an email. I'm not aware of any lost emails in my accounts. I heard that it happens, but in your case, it seems blantently obvious that something else must be wrong.

-t

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2006, 02:14 PM

12 letters isn't a particularly long email address.
my @macnn.com email address is 15 and I've never had any problems recieving emails.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 03:56 PM

IIRC, your email should able to handle 256 character addresses. If it don't, it's not RFC compliant.

I actually had a near-200 character addy for a laugh once. Worked fine.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules