Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > Need a 1st gen Magic Mouse

Need a 1st gen Magic Mouse
Thorzdad
Nov 10, 2019, 09:44 AM

Would anyone happen to have a low-miles, gently-used, 1st gen Magic Mouse lying around that they would care to part with?

Thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2019, 02:10 AM

I'm seeing quite a few of these start to give up the ghost.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 11, 2019, 09:17 AM

My original one (from 2009!) lost its right click function over the summer this year. Up until then, it never gave me a problem. Ten years of reliable, heavy service (mainly working in Illustrator and Photoshop) seems pretty good to me.

After the first one failed, I located another one (used a bit rougher than my original) and it works fine, but the power switch underneath is not reliable. I normally switch the mouse off when changing batteries, and the switch in this replacement mouse doesn't always switch the mouse back on without fiddling with it. So, I'd like to grab another one, in reasonable shape, to have as another spare.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2019, 10:16 AM

Yes! They don’t work with the mousepads I like, so I’ve got one with close to zero miles on it. PM me your address.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 11, 2019, 01:33 PM

I've never owned one, but did service a friend's Mac a few months ago. His magic mouse worked perfectly - except the right click didn't work. After consulting iFixit, you can't take this mouse apart. Glue instead of screws. Custom parts inside, and no replacement parts available.

Thorzdad  (op)
Nov 11, 2019, 03:34 PM

I wondered about the feasibility of breaking the two open and somehow Frankensteining a hybrid together. I guess not.

Which mousepads, subego? I've always coveted those "oriental carpet" mousepads, but, yeah, they don't work with laser-based mice.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I wondered about the feasibility of breaking the two open and somehow Frankensteining a hybrid together. I guess not.

Which mousepads, subego? I've always coveted those "oriental carpet" mousepads, but, yeah, they don't work with laser-based mice.
Yup... MouseRugs are the problem.

It just seems to be the Magic Mouse, though. The AWM works fine, and after my last one finally died, I picked up a Logitech which works fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules