Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > SXGA+ (1400x1050) upgrade for 12" PowerBook G4

SXGA+ (1400x1050) upgrade for 12" PowerBook G4
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2020, 01:19 AM

I did this ages ago, but I might as well share here.

I bought a 12" PowerBook G4 on eBay awhile back, and have really enjoyed using it - with an mSATA SSD upgrade, it runs Leopard surprisingly well. I found something online (can't find it anymore) on hacking this particular machine to use a 1400x1050 SXGA+ LCD. It's a straight drop-in replacement, except that the frame of the higher-resolution display probably won't fit the screw holes of the display enclosure, so you basically have to use the pressure of the bezel to hold it in place, and you'll have to snip and file various bits of metal on the frame to make it fit properly.

That said, it's totally worth the upgrade if you have an old 12" PowerBook you're still using. The upgraded resolution is super nice for pretty much everything. I've found OS 9 to be pretty usable with an XGA display, but OS X quickly becomes cumbersome at such a low resolution.

If you want to do the upgrade, you need to find a display of model HV121P01-101. It's most commonly pulled from various Lenovo tablet PCs and laptops from like a decade ago. I'm seeing them on eBay for around $100-130 right now, so it's not too expensive, either.

Unlike the epic clamshell iBook display mod that got me started on this forum, this is a zero-effort upgrade. I think it's either because of the newer firmware, or because PowerBooks supported display extending to arbitrary resolutions, whereas the iBook only supported mirroring. Either way, the higher resolution is detected everywhere - OF, the bootloader, OS X, etc.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
May 29, 2020, 08:17 AM

...Pics or it didn't happen...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2020, 03:06 PM

Details here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBo...l+upgrade/3117

I think I might upgrade my Pismo, too. XGA is so lame.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules