Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Restarting an iPhone

Restarting an iPhone
jretzner
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2020, 07:23 PM

At times I find myself needing to restart my iPhone 10RX iOS 13.6. I shut it down by clicking down the "volume up" button, and the button on the upper right side of my iPhone. I then slide the button which appears at the top of the screen which then shuts my iPhone down. I then, after waiting several seconds, hold down the upper right button until the Apple logo appears. More often than not it takes me several attempts to get the icon to appear. I remember that with older iPhones there was a way to simply restart, rather than shut down and restart, one's iPhone. Is that available on an iPhone 10? Thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2020, 08:21 PM

Nope, that's the convoluted way since long-pressing the power button needs to double for Siri.

However, you can also go into Settings —> General —> Shut Down

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2020, 09:32 AM

Also, the phone will take more time than it seems to finish shutting down - as much as 20 or 30 seconds after the screen goes dark. If you try to restart too soon after initiating a shutdown, nothing will happen. As far as I've seen, there's no "quick" shutdown/reboot.

And of course, since there's absolutely no "hard shut down" (you cannot disconnect the battery to do this), there's no absolute "cold boot," either. I think in iOS 9 or 10 I had a few instances where I needed to restart more than once to actually kill all processes and start fresh.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2020, 12:11 AM

Thanks for that suggestion. Through trial and error I discovered what you told me: that one needs to wait 30 seconds or more for an iPhone to shut down before attempting to restart. That works! Thanks again.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2020, 09:27 AM

Glad to help.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules