Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.7 Already?

10.3.7 Already?
alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 08:35 PM

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=752

Mac OS X 10.3.7 build 7S202

Apple Computer this week provided developers with the first external build of the previously reported Mac OS X 10.3.7 Update. The software is labeled Mac OS X 10.3.7 build 7S202 and weighs in at 15.1 MB.

Documentation accompanying the update is brief, but notes changes to Core Foundation that will improve directional formatting codes, in addition to a revision to lookupd that will improve domain name lookup.

Changes to CoreGraphics / X are also noted, including better compatibility between PDF printing and HP raster printers, fixes to shadowed text rendered on print operations, and colors calibration improvements inside CG transparency layers. The update will also remove the dark black edge present at print time when filling a rectangle with low opacity black.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 08:38 PM

Of course, why not?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=752

Mac OS X 10.3.7 build 7S202

Apple Computer this week provided developers with the first external build of the previously reported Mac OS X 10.3.7 Update. The software is labeled Mac OS X 10.3.7 build 7S202 and weighs in at 15.1 MB.

Documentation accompanying the update is brief, but notes changes to Core Foundation that will improve directional formatting codes, in addition to a revision to lookupd that will improve domain name lookup.

Changes to CoreGraphics / X are also noted, including better compatibility between PDF printing and HP raster printers, fixes to shadowed text rendered on print operations, and colors calibration improvements inside CG transparency layers. The update will also remove the dark black edge present at print time when filling a rectangle with low opacity black.
Psss... a little secret.

Software companies are usually working on the next release BEFORE the previous one even shipped! Meaning, 10.3.7 work was going on before 10.3.6 was even shipped!!!11!!!1one!!11!

Can you imagine, they probably branched the code, like, a MONTH before 10.3.6 shipped and everything! WHOA!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 11:45 PM

10.3.8 has probably already started too.

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 19, 2004, 12:01 AM

10.4 has already started aswell but I'll believe it when I see it. Rumor sites are full of sh!t.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
10.4 has already started aswell but I'll believe it when I see it. Rumor sites are full of sh!t.
AppleInsider has been showing pretty remarkable accuracy lately though...

alphasubzero949  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 01:59 AM

Yeah, they're probably working on 10.5 already as we speak...hell maybe even OS XI.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Nov 19, 2004, 07:28 AM

I just can't wait for OS XXX - Pussy

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
I just can't wait for OS XXX - Pussy

This is all very exciting.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
They are pretty much telling the truth.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2004, 11:06 AM

I remember when point updates did stuff... now it's all little stuff...

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Well my CoreFoundation and iChatAudioAssistant crashes with I launch UT2004 so maybe they'll fix that problem.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 08:10 PM

I imagine this release is already being seeded as it containts graphical fixes critical to World of Warcraft, which is hitting stores on November 23.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 08:47 PM

10.3.7 apparrently has a fix for lookupd crashing a lot, so some DNS issues should get fixed up.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Technically, aren't they all point updates? 10.3.6 or 10.4, they're all point updates!

Ok, I'll leave now.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

P
Nov 21, 2004, 10:21 AM

Hmm.. How long before Panther was the last Jaguar release? If they're prepping 10.3.7 now, Tiger is still a ways off. It makes sense though - the G5s are in many ways a brand new architecture, and it probably still needs some fine-tuning.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Nov 21, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by ryju:

This is all very exciting.
Oh, I'm sorry my little attempt at humor was too low-brow for you.

Sheesh!

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by alphasubzero949:
Yeah, they're probably working on 10.5 already as we speak...hell maybe even OS XI.
I'm getting a woody just thinking about it....
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2004, 07:03 PM

You know, I was reading some of the articles from Arstechnia the other day about the ear;y builds of Mac OS X. The ones before Apple even showed off Aqua to the public. All I can say is that we have come a long way. I mean, OS X was pretty advanced back in the beginning, but everything is so polished today.

Mike

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2004, 10:13 PM

It hasn't changed a whole lot on the surface since DP4, but when you go back, you really do miss things that were added. Of course, unlike in the old days, there's not much reason to go back to previous versions of OS X, so far at least, except to extract the old versions of applications that didn't "make it" into new systems (I thought SimpleMoviePlayer was cool...there were others, most don't run anymore).

I updated to 10.3.5 a day or two before .6 was released. I delayed it mainly to keep away from updating problems, but also because the only real time to restart is in the beginning of each month. I delayed the .6, and now I read of problems like booting speed, crashing, the update not completing, getting a KP on the "optimization" stage, etc.. IOW, I'm glad they're seeding .7, I'm not updating to .6.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
I delayed the .6, and now I read of problems like booting speed, crashing, the update not completing, getting a KP on the "optimization" stage, etc..
Why delay or not install a release because of what COULD happen (but may not)? I updated to 10.3.6 with absolutely NO problems whatsoever, and many others have done the same.

If people are really so concerned about whether a problem may or may not happen, then why don't they test the update by making a clone of their main drive, update it and try it out? If there are no problems, then great, go ahead and update your main drive and forget about it. If there are problems, then no problem, because you tested the release on a copy of your setup first.

If everyone waited until someone was brave enough to install each new update before installing it, then EVERYONE would still be on 10.0.0

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 12:30 AM

i thought it was out already and went to software update, then to see it was just a rumor site.
iamwhor3hay

yukon
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2004, 04:18 AM

Why delay or not install a release because of what COULD happen (but may not)? I updated to 10.3.6 with absolutely NO problems whatsoever, and many others have done the same.

If people are really so concerned about whether a problem may or may not happen, then why don't they test the update by making a clone of their main drive, update it and try it out? If there are no problems, then great, go ahead and update your main drive and forget about it. If there are problems, then no problem, because you tested the release on a copy of your setup first.
Um, because something bad COULD happen? And the system works fine now? And the patch won't do anything I'll notice? And your idea requires an extra drive I can't install right now due to ATA100, and a whole lot more work than simply waiting? I haven't seen changes with the x.x.x updates since 10.1.4 if my memory serves me correctly, and it seems like every other update has some kind of problem. It's _really_ decreasing my ability to bash Windows for it's "destroy system" WU patches ;-) (admittedly, haven't seen that yet with 2003, only with 2k and XP).

There appears to be a large population of people who will do the newest update, just as there are many people who own 800$ videocards for games and P4 ExtremeEdition CPUs. I don't want to update to a buggy system, I'll let other people take the risk. If there's a problem with the update, then you can be the one with the erased firewire drive (Oxford911....with....10.3.0 was it?), or any partition of yours erased if it had a space in it's name (iTunes 3.0.2? point something...), but I'll wait a while to test the waters. And that's fine, nothing against you, you're helping me

And it works, standard procedure. If NT4 is running your business just fine, don't upgrade it and risk it not running your business anymore. In the end, I was just saying I was glad that Apple is working on an update to supercede it's last buggy update.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 02:46 PM

IIRC the people who were getting KPs on update were the people who didn't follow directions and surfed the web while updating critical system files.

If you can manage to calm your pr0n addiction for long enough to update (hell, have it update while you sleep) then it should be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules