Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is Apple in trouble?????????

Is Apple in trouble?????????
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 02:39 AM

tell me what you think of this artical I found on Apples market share and sales. Do you think this is going to affec the Mac community???????

"First on TMO - Apple Q3 Global Market Share Falls to 1.8% as Competitors Post Strong Gains

by Brad Gibson, 3:15 PM EDT, October 29th, 2004

Apple Computer's worldwide market share fell to 1.8% in the third quarter of this year from 2.1%, and dropped to 3.2% from 3.6% in the U.S., according to figures from research company Gartner. The numbers also showed dramatic declines in the quarter-to-quarter growth rate of Macs sold while Apple's Windows-based competitors saw double digit increases in the U.S and an almost 10% rise worldwide.

Apple worldwide market share falls to 1.8% from 2.1%

According to the numbers obtained first by The Mac Observer, Apple's worldwide market share ranking was tenth with a 1.8% share on unit sales of 836,300. In the second quarter, Apple posted a 2.1% share on sales of 879,900 Macintosh personal computers. During the same quarter last year, Apple had a 1.8% share after selling 791,100 Macs.

Compared to other PC vendors, Apple had a 5.0% decline in unit growth worldwide from the previous quarter. While Apple declined, its competitors gained 9.8% in unit growth from Q2. Year-to-year figures showed Apple with a 5.7% jump, as other vendors rose 9.8%.

No other PC vendor in the top ten posted a decline in year-to-year unit growth worldwide but Apple.

The leader in worldwide market share was Dell in first place with a 16.8% share, followed by HP with 15.0% and IBM at 5.6%.

Apple U.S. market share falls from 3.6% to 3.2%

In the U.S., Apple's ranking was sixth after its market share fell to 3.2% in the quarter on unit sales of 520,900 from 3.6% the previous quarter on 508,000 Macs sold. In Q3 of 2003, Apple had a market share of 3.1% after selling 474,5000 models.

Quarter-to-quarter growth for Apple was 2.5%. Competitors surged in the quarter with a 14.3% increase from Q2. In year-to-year figures, Apple climbed 9.8%, while its competitors rose 5.3%.

The leader in U.S. market share was Dell in first place with a 30.4% share, followed by HP with 19.1% and Gateway at 5.1%.

Apple Western Europe share drops .5%

But it was sales in Western Europe that had the most dramatic drop for Apple. The company's market share fell a half-a-percent to 1.5% in Q3, after a 2.0% share in Q2. Units sales plummeted by 29,500 to 147,300 from 176,800.

Compared to other PC vendors, Apple had a whopping 16.7% decline in unit growth in Western Europe from the previous quarter. While Apple declined, its competitors gained 11.2% in unit growth from Q2. Apple's growth year-to-year in Western Europe was off 0.7%, while other PC makers had a combined 13% rise.

The leader in Western Europe market share was HP in first place with a 16.6% share, followed by Dell with 10.8% and Acer at 7.2%.

All of the numbers - from total units sold to unit sales by geography - mirror those released by Apple on October 13. In those numbers, Apple reported Mac unit sales off 19% in Europe, and unchanged in America in Q3. Gartner did not release numbers for Japan, where Apple reported unit sales off 32% in Q3. The totals for all three geographic areas included sales of desktop, laptop and x-86 servers.

A contributing factor to the fall off in Mac sales worldwide was a shortage of G4-based consumer iMacs, after the company stopped making the older model and announced there would be a delay of more than 60 days before it would ship a new G5-based, flat-panel iMac. Apple said earlier this month iMac sales were off worldwide by 6%. In addition, a shortage of dual-processor G5 chips from manufacturer IBM also meant fewer Pro Mac systems were available to sell. As a result, Power Mac sales were off 10% in the quarter and most definitely had a negative affect on market share.

What makes the numbers most interesting is the fact that despite a 34% increase in Mac unit sales Q3 to Q2 at Apple's retail stores, the company's market share continued to decline in both the worldwide and U.S. figures.

The supposed 'halo affect' of Apple selling more Macs as a result of strong sales of its iPod and iPod mini digital music players does not appear to have had a positive effect on the company's market share in the quarter. Apple executives and a number of stock market analysts have mentioned the phenomenon in the past few months, but neither an analyst nor Apple have provided factual evidence to base this claim.

An Apple spokesperson had no comment when asked for reaction to the market share results."

Here is the link to the original. http://www.macobserver.com/article/2...75da8ff#159522
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 02:42 AM

Yes they will be totally gone within a year.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 02:44 AM

that would be such a waste. guess everyone should go and get the regular stuff????

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by MARINEOSX:
that would be such a waste. guess everyone should go and get the regular stuff????
yes, PC's are the only future.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 03:20 AM

I have heard so many people lying to me why god why?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 03:27 AM

Trouble? AFAIK, Apple's in Cupertino.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 03:32 AM

Let us all sell our computers to people who haven't read the article before it is too late!

osxpinot
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 03:32 AM

This is the hidden aspect of their stock price. Mac sales are currently less than stellar, and there is a looming lawsuit. However, these issues could easily work themselves out which would pave the way for an awesome stock. I just don't see that happening.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 03:39 AM

I hope it doesn't turn out like the ???? what was that thing called oh yes thats right the dreamcast. that was a bad investment for me for sure had to get rid of it fast.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 04:06 AM

Look up "sarcasm" in the dictionary.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 04:58 AM

Apple's always in trouble.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Trouble? AFAIK, Apple's in Cupertino.
=) ... apple death predition #375436...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 07:54 AM

The Apple Death Knell Counter

Apple has currently gone out of business 45 times since 04/1995.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 08:03 AM

Why this is misleading.

For arugment sake say 10 years ago all the people in the the US owned 100 computers and at the time Apple had 10 of them and the rest went to all the clones. That would be 10% Now assume 5 years all the people in the US owned 500 computers and apple had 30 of that. That would be 6%. A drop in share yes, but overall a big increase. Now assume every one in the US had 8000 computers, and of that 300 came from apple. Thats 3.75% but a massive increase from 10 years ago. See how its misleading? Most homes now have 3 or more computers. Most businesses have more computers too. All this means is the market has grown. Apple is still at peek capacity and is producing hudge amounts of computers. So no Apple is not in trouble.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 08:20 AM

this will not affect the mac community

if it ever will, Apple would still linger on for years and years

so we are still set for atleast another 10 years

byt then, windows may become "good" or some other development may happen.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 09:02 AM

Apple Computers Going out of Business for the past 20 years.

People have been saying this stuff for the past 20 years. Right now the iPod is selling well which is slowly starting to sell Macs.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 12:07 PM

This seems to be the favorite target of analysts to paint a dark picture for Apple. Apples sales have been improving, long live Apple.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ryju
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 12:14 PM

I've just sold all my Apple products I suggest you all do the same.

Edit: shutup

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 12:35 PM

Luckily, upon reading this, my best friend offered me an open bag of Doritos, some AA batteries, a self-drawn picture of Trogdor and flashlight for my G4. I quickly shook his hand and accepted.

Thank god for friends.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Luckily, upon reading this, my best friend offered me an open bag of Doritos, some AA batteries, a self-drawn picture of Trogdor and flashlight for my G4. I quickly shook his hand and accepted.

Thank god for friends.
heer have sum pot

waky waky!

piot
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2004, 01:06 PM

Is Apple in trouble????
Nope!

I believe that all the negative figures from that report boil down to just two things.

1. The G4 iMac was not on sale for the best part of a whole quarter.
2. The same G4 iMac had been selling poorly for the 1st half of the year.
(a little underpowered and overpriced ... as it came to the end of it's life.)

With the rave reviews and anecdotal evidence of strong sales I fully expect that the new G5 iMac will bump up next year's figures considerably. Let's see what the 1st quarter figures look like on Jan 12.
Piot

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Athens:
All this means is the market has grown. Apple is still at peek capacity and is producing hudge amounts of computers. So no Apple is not in trouble.
Sorry, couldn't resist...

Eew, no, no hudge!

"I would be called... Da Huuuuuudge!"

Axel
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I think he was being sarcastic.

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 01:31 PM

I think MacNN needs to start taxing over-usage of question marks and exclamations.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Axel:
Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

I think he was being sarcastic.
[/QUOTE]I doubt it, considering this thread, but if so, I concede pwn4g3.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 05:18 PM

Well I am glad that someone caught that Slight sarcasm that I put in that post up there. Thanks for noticing spheric. But I guess I was wrong that sarcasm is subtle maybe it should be strait forward?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 06:40 PM

I think this is a sign that Apple needs to get their ass in gear on having A) enough products to ship, and B) have enough options for what people want!

Think broader notebook line, broader and more reasonable desktop line (the eMac being the worst offender).

The four computer strategy worked when Apple was offering very little besides a home computer and a work station for graphic artists and audio engineers. Since 1997-2000 Apple has grown a LOT in what they offer, but their product line hasn't grown that much, they should be milking the success of the iPod with an iPVR, or something. They should be considering things like co-branding a digital camera crossed with an iPod. I'm sure just about any camera maker would love to work with Apple.
On the desktop side, to some families you could sell all manner of upgrades and things that Apple is not doing, they need to recognize that people may not want to buy a new machine, but they may like the idea of buying something that will make their Mac better, even if it's another Mac.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I think MacNN needs to start taxing over-usage of question marks and exclamations.
WHAT??????????
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T FORGET CAPS, TOO.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I think this is a sign that Apple needs to get their ass in gear on having A) enough products to ship, and B) have enough options for what people want!

Think broader notebook line, broader and more reasonable desktop line (the eMac being the worst offender).
The problem with a broader line for Apple is that it gets real expensive, real quick. As Apple tends to make unique enclosures mother boards etc. for each of its different lines. A wide range of options and configs for DELL (for example) is fairly simple as they have a small range of 'boxes' in which they fill with very similar boards, on to which they can fit various bits, as and when required.

An enormously wide (and confusing) range of options and versions have also damaged Apple in the past, they would be very wary about starting to re-tread that path.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
The problem with a broader line for Apple is that it gets real expensive, real quick.
Bring back Gil! He almost ruined us all!

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 03:49 AM

Yes, apple is in trouble, the Beetles hate them and will get money from them someday soon. Will they lose a ton of money? Probably not in the whole scheme of things, but yes from a governmental standpoint, they are "in trouble".

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2004, 04:40 AM

I personally think Mac is going to be fine. There is always something like this going around it is always a great topic though. Mac continues to come out with new technology, and they seem to be the leader for alot of it. The problem is that most people would rather save a buck then get something that will be quality. But if you buy something that can last longer than a year without having to buy all kinds of protection, then I think in the long run Mac is a better value. Just my opinion. But after having this iBook and all the other Macs that I have played on, and my iMac flat panel every time I use a P.C. it just doesn't seem to meet my standards anymore.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2004, 08:08 AM

Well I am glad that someone caught that Slight sarcasm that I put in that post up there. Thanks for noticing spheric. But I guess I was wrong that sarcasm is subtle maybe it should be strait forward?
I concede pwn4g3.

:bows out:

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2004, 10:06 AM

This link is a couple of days old, but I was still surprised at how well Apple appears to be doing over Xmas

BBC

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 30, 2004, 02:58 PM

Well, these guys say that OS X is teh major sucktitude with over 100,000 bugs reported in the last two months alone so Apple must be teh d3aD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Did I go over my ! quota????)
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Forum Links
Forum Rules