Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > experimental firefox

experimental firefox
Mafia
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 09:07 PM

FireFox optimized for g4/g5
this blog claims that someone has taken the original firefox code and optimized it for the g5 and g4 processors. it is still in testing process. but i'm using the g5 one now and it does seem a lot snappier especially in opening new windows. try it out and tell me what you think.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2004, 09:20 PM

Interesting.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 12:06 AM

First of all, they did not do anything to the Firefox code. All they did was compile it with instructions to optimize the output for a given processor. You can do that with any app without touching the source code. And what do you mean by "in the testing process?" These are custom builds, and will never become "official," no matter how much they are tested.

Second, this has already been mentioned in almost every Firefox thread. Please do a search before posting next time.

Mafia  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
First of all, they did not do anything to the Firefox code. All they did was compile it with instructions to optimize the output for a given processor. You can do that with any app without touching the source code. And what do you mean by "in the testing process?" These are custom builds, and will never become "official," no matter how much they are tested.

Second, this has already been mentioned in almost every Firefox thread. Please do a search before posting next time.
testing meaning they are not saying how stable it is right now. i thought that was understould. i never said anything about "official" u can test something with out it being official. instead of me searching through crap loads of firefox threads that frankly i don't care about, u could disregard this post and go on with your life.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 01:39 AM

that's the thing, though... YOU wouldn't have to search through, you could have MacNN do it for you! it'd really save us all a lot of trouble

I searched: firefox optimized (this was my first try) and the top result (ignoring this thread) was about the exact same thing.

Mafia  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 03:07 AM

forgive me for not searching the forums everytime i want to post something. if u've seen it already ignore it. its not that hard to not hit the reply button. save u a lot of trouble?!?!?! what trouble? u don't have to reply its not a lot of trouble to read my two sentences to realize u know what i'm talking about and don't care.

Mafia  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 03:09 AM

btw not every one catches every thread. i'm sick of all this omg u posted something that was already said in another thread crap.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by Mafia:
testing meaning they are not saying how stable it is right now. i thought that was understould.
I build firefox optimized for G4 from the same source that the official nightly builds, except that the source on CVS use different icons/graphics.
So it should be just as stable as the official builds!

If the GCC developers got their G4/G5 optimization code right, that is...

ae77
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 01:36 PM

sorry if you've already answered this somewhere else, but what is the difference between aviary and trunk versions?

thanks.

Originally posted by albook:
I build firefox optimized for G4 from the same source that the official nightly builds, except that the source on CVS use different icons/graphics.
So it should be just as stable as the official builds!

If the GCC developers got their G4/G5 optimization code right, that is...
^_^

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by ae77:
sorry if you've already answered this somewhere else, but what is the difference between aviary and trunk versions?

thanks.
Trunk uses newer, but less heavily tested code.
( Last edited by Catfish_Man; Nov 15, 2004 at 01:54 PM. )

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by ae77:

thanks.
In may they split the Mozilla source into two threes.
* Aviary/Branch. Was going to be Firefox 1.0, and got the most bugfixes and development. Closed for Firefox checkins october 10.
* Trunk. Is going to be Firefox 1.1 and beyond. Some bugfixes have been checked into trunk as well, but when Firefox 1.0 was released it still had ~140 bugs that have been fixed in the Branch three.

To sum up: Branch is the past, while Trunk is the future.

ae77
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2004, 03:19 PM

thanks for clarifications guys.
^_^

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2004, 04:18 PM

So, anyone want to run some benchmarks?

BZ

solbo
Nov 15, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Trunk uses newer, but less heavily tested code.
Do what? Gecko may be newer on the trunk but all of the new Firefox features were implemented on the branch.

I wish people would do some fact checking before they said stuff. And testing is probably equal.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by solbo:
Do what? Gecko may be newer on the trunk but all of the new Firefox features were implemented on the branch.
Everything on the branch was also merged with the trunk. The reverse is not true, however. This said, there are not likely to be any new Firefox features on the trunk right now, given how heavily-prioritized the branch was.
And testing is probably equal.
Actually, it's not. Most of the code from the branch is older than the code on the trunk, which means that it has had much more time to be tested. Even if people were to test the two at the same rate, the branch's code would naturally get more testing, since it doesn't change as frequently.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by solbo:

I wish people would do some fact checking before they said stuff. And testing is probably equal.
My statement is correct, but you're right that it could use some clarification. The newest (i.e. most recently checked in) code is on the trunk, but it doesn't include all of the code that was added on the branch. And no, trunk doesn't get as much testing as release branches. The whole point of release branches is that they hold still for a bit so they can be tested properly and stabilized for a release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules