Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > wow~check out this amazing tornado!!!!!!!!

wow~check out this amazing tornado!!!!!!!!
maphro
Apr 26, 2005, 06:35 PM

maphro  (op)
Apr 26, 2005, 07:01 PM

I guess my question was....is it simply not mac friendly..? or...am I missing something in my PB OSX

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 07:11 PM

Yeah, it requires a plugin that doesn't seem to work on the Mac. How dumb.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

maphro  (op)
Apr 26, 2005, 08:38 PM

do u guys want to help out here~!! I don't know what to say to this.. I hope it is okay that I post stuff from other forum into here.. I just can't believe people say things like this..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13259368

Forum Olympus SLR Talk
Subject Don't let these Mac guys....
Posted by k4lyp [CLICK FOR PROFILE]
Date/Time 12:13:21 AM, Wednesday, April 27, 2005 (GMT)
k4lyp wrote:
> ... get you down. It's their loss that they picked a Mac...not yours.
>
> Proshow Gold rocks and if they really want to see it, they can get
> on a real computer. Here are the stats for my site of the last 25
> days. It's obvious that 5.5% isn't worth the trouble!
>
>
> Windows 75347 89.5 %
> Macintosh 4659 5.4 %
> Unknown 3655 4.3 %
> Linux 462 0.5 %
> FreeBSD 19 0.1 %
> WebTV 15 0.1 %
> Sun Solaris 14 0.1 %
>
>
>
> One thing you really ought to worry about though is that
> copyrighted music on your slideshow. That could come back to cost
> you in then long run.
>
> BTW...dude you rock and you are crazy. Those images are awesome!
>
>

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 08:46 PM

Ignoring even 5% of the market is a very short-sighted business plan. If he's not smart enough to see that, he doesn't really deserve a response.

Besides, you'll just pull the thread down into a platform contention war.

maphro  (op)
Apr 26, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by bmedina
Ignoring even 5% of the market is a very short-sighted business plan. If he's not smart enough to see that, he doesn't really deserve a response.

Besides, you'll just pull the thread down into a platform contention war.
I know what you are saying.... but.. this """"> Proshow Gold rocks and if they really want to see it, they can get
> on a real computer. """"

what is "A REAL COMPUTER..."?

this is my first time feeling so mad for this kind of thing.. I think I might be loving my new 12" PowerBook a little too much..

I will try to chill~

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 09:41 PM

The person who posted that wasn't the webmaster, just some random person... Ohh well, We'll see who has a real computer when he has to reformat his because he downloaded what he thought was a plugin but was really spyware

Also, He has a pretty high percentage of Mac Users visiting his site... Isn't the total percentage more like 3%?
27" iMac C2D

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2005, 11:10 PM

For those of you who are as pissed of by this guy as me... read this and it'll cheer you up a little.

from http://www.apple.com/jobs/retail/scenes.html

I've had an ongoing dispute with a couple of friends for a couple of years now. One holds a degree in computer science, and he's just a bit holier-than-thou when it comes to computers. After a lengthy debate one night, I placed a bet with them � come into the store and I will prove the superiority of Macs in no less than 10 minutes. I showed them a Power Mac G5, noted that it had "only" 512MB of RAM installed, and proceeded with my demonstration. I launched every application simultaneously � including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and other professional software � except one. After everything was running, I launched the store's demo copy of Halo, which had been installed to show off the brand new GeForce 6800 graphics accelerator. Despite having every application on the computer running, Halo ran beautifully. After a bit, I Force Quit each application in succession. The computer didn't even blink. Then I turned to my friends and said "Show me a Windows PC on this planet that can do that without getting the Blue Screen Of Death, and I'll eat my hat." They haven't bothered me since, and we're still friends.

Its a story from one of tha Apple retailers. Tell me, now, WHAT is a REAL CUMPUTER?! This guy's just jealous that Macs DESTROY Windows in EVERY aspect of EVERYTHING. Even value- you pay more, but you get LOADS more. ok I'll stop ranting...

maphro  (op)
Apr 26, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
For those of you who are as pissed of by this guy as me... read this and it'll cheer you up a little.

I've had an ongoing dispute with a couple of friends for a couple of years now. One holds a degree in computer science, and he's just a bit holier-than-thou when it comes to computers. After a lengthy debate one night, I placed a bet with them � come into the store and I will prove the superiority of Macs in no less than 10 minutes. I showed them a Power Mac G5, noted that it had "only" 512MB of RAM installed, and proceeded with my demonstration. I launched every application simultaneously � including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and other professional software � except one. After everything was running, I launched the store's demo copy of Halo, which had been installed to show off the brand new GeForce 6800 graphics accelerator. Despite having every application on the computer running, Halo ran beautifully. After a bit, I Force Quit each application in succession. The computer didn't even blink. Then I turned to my friends and said "Show me a Windows PC on this planet that can do that without getting the Blue Screen Of Death, and I'll eat my hat." They haven't bothered me since, and we're still friends.

Its a story from one of tha Apple retailers. Tell me, now, WHAT is a REAL CUMPUTER?! This guy's just jealous that Macs DESTROY Windows in EVERY aspect of EVERYTHING. Even value- you pay more, but you get LOADS more. ok I'll stop ranting...

good one~

maphro  (op)
Apr 27, 2005, 12:00 AM

apparently...even pc user need to install plug-in inorder to view Tornado... and some pc user ain't taking that chance...
( Last edited by maphro; Apr 27, 2005 at 05:30 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2005, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311
Also, He has a pretty high percentage of Mac Users visiting his site... Isn't the total percentage more like 3%?
That's only a 2.3 percent difference. Given how fuzzy these numbers seem to be in the first place, I'd say it's not very significant.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 06:23 AM

Keeping your site non-Mac-compatible because of low percentage of Mac-using visitors is kind of a self-fulfilling thing, isn't it?

Meh, just let it drop.

It's their loss that they picked Windows.
The next worm that hits them despite firewall, service packs, and anti-virus/spyware/etc. software *will* have them considering other options.
I've seen many of their ilk walk out of our store with a Powerbook in hand.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 12:03 PM

?

Silly... I can kill games from Windows without getting a BSOD. Guess I should find the guy and feed him a hat.

Windows XP is very stable, in my experience. It's as stable as OS X. They're on par where that's concerned -- both have protected memory, can separate kernel applications from user applications, and BOTH can be royally screwed if you have a bad video driver. But it's a silly argument.

I like OS X a lot more, and prefer it, but to say that every Windows machine gets a BSOD when you force-quit a game is absolutely farcical. Sometimes Mac users say absolutely stupid things, borne from the fact that they haven't used a PC in 10 years.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 03:29 PM

I recognized the XPI download for the plugin as something Firefox uses. So I tried it there...still didnt work though.

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
?

Silly... I can kill games from Windows without getting a BSOD. Guess I should find the guy and feed him a hat.

Windows XP is very stable, in my experience. It's as stable as OS X. They're on par where that's concerned -- both have protected memory, can separate kernel applications from user applications, and BOTH can be royally screwed if you have a bad video driver. But it's a silly argument.

I like OS X a lot more, and prefer it, but to say that every Windows machine gets a BSOD when you force-quit a game is absolutely farcical. Sometimes Mac users say absolutely stupid things, borne from the fact that they haven't used a PC in 10 years.
XP as stable as OSX? HA ha hahaha ha he ... ...ha. rrrrriiiiigggghhhht. Ok. You keep telling youself that. Maybe it would be if it was running on Apple hardware, (or harware made by the same ppl who designed the OS) but not as it is right now. Just a week or two ago I had to reinstall XP for my brother. (ive lost count of how many times I've had to) Also, I dont thing the most significant thing in the story is that he force-quit everything. Its that he had FCP, Photoshop, and a bunch of other pro graphics app running WHILE playing Halo SMOOTHLY. If you can do that, then get this guy his hat.

I switched this past Christmas. And why? because the damn XP machine couldnt handle what I was doing as a graphic artist/3D animator. And the graphics card in the PC wasnt that much worse than the one in my G5, and the driver was good too.

That is why Mac is the professional's choice, and just about any professional knows that. (not that I am a professional, but I use pro-level apps)

maphro  (op)
Apr 27, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour
I recognized the XPI download for the plugin as something Firefox uses. So I tried it there...still didnt work though.

hey~thanks for looking into the plug-in issue

I do have one other problem tho..since I don't have Firefox, I am unable to test it out.. .if you don't mind checking it out for me..: ..everytime I load the lens web page in American Olympus web sit..it frezze my Safari.. now..I am thinking maybe it's Safari issue.

here is the problematic web page: (caution: it will frezze your Safari)
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_150mm.asp

thanks~

hoopz
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by maphro
hey~thanks for looking into the plug-in issue

I do have one other problem tho..since I don't have Firefox, I am unable to test it out.. .if you don't mind checking it out for me..: ..everytime I load the lens web page in American Olympus web sit..it frezze my Safari.. now..I am thinking maybe it's Safari issue.

here is the problematic web page: (caution: it will frezze your Safari)
http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_150mm.asp

thanks~
Sure enough, Safari beachballs. For what it's worth, OmniWeb 5.1 has no trouble with it.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 05:16 PM

XP as stable as OSX? HA ha hahaha ha he ... ...ha. rrrrriiiiigggghhhht. Ok. You keep telling youself that. Maybe it would be if it was running on Apple hardware, (or harware made by the same ppl who designed the OS) but not as it is right now. Just a week or two ago I had to reinstall XP for my brother. (ive lost count of how many times I've had to) Also, I dont thing the most significant thing in the story is that he force-quit everything. Its that he had FCP, Photoshop, and a bunch of other pro graphics app running WHILE playing Halo SMOOTHLY. If you can do that, then get this guy his hat.

I switched this past Christmas. And why? because the damn XP machine couldnt handle what I was doing as a graphic artist/3D animator. And the graphics card in the PC wasnt that much worse than the one in my G5, and the driver was good too.

That is why Mac is the professional's choice, and just about any professional knows that. (not that I am a professional, but I use pro-level apps)
What he did was a retarded test. All those apps weren''t "running". They paged out since they weren't doing anything and Halo ran just like it normally would. And killing programs isn't going to do anything special either... pretty lame if you ask me.

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Abit667
What he did was a retarded test. All those apps weren''t "running". They paged out since they weren't doing anything and Halo ran just like it normally would. And killing programs isn't going to do anything special either... pretty lame if you ask me.
Lame for a Mac maybe. But I have still not seen a PC capable of doing it.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 09:20 PM

Lame for a Mac maybe. But I have still not seen a PC capable of doing it.
Of what, running 10 applications and a game, then hitting control-alt-del and killing the game from within Task Manager?

It has worked on my last 3 PCs, without any drama whatsoever.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
It has worked on my last 3 PCs, without any drama whatsoever.
I agree... it's just too bad the GUI on windows looks like it was created in committee.

WORST GUI EVER!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2005, 10:30 PM

Agreed. Heck, I'm pretty sure my Windows 98 system could handle 10 inactive applications plus a game and kill one without locking up. (It couldn't do much else without locking up, but the things in that test didn't seem to make it more or less likely.)
Chuck
___

strokemouth
Apr 28, 2005, 11:06 PM

You are just as bad as the guy who said to get a "real" computer. People like you are the reason we are often called "zealots." If someone posts anything negative about a Mac, they are quick to call them uninformed and incorrect. But, if a Mac user posts something negative about a PC, others are quick to agree and give the thumbs up.

I like to think that one of the best aspects of being a Mac owner is that it shows that I am open to alternatives and don't need to follow the norm; That I am open minded enough to weigh my options decide what is best for me. I know that there is a large number of Mac users like myself and that there are more of us than zealots who will blindly follow Apple. It's too bad that people like you are the ones who get remembered.

(For the record, my workstation at my job is XP, I administer a few Win2K3 servers, a Linux box, and a Solaris box. We have 0 Macs because they won't work with anything we have other than e-mail and internet. I doubt that shows how they DESTROY Windows in EVERY aspect of EVERYTHING.)
15" PB/1.5 GHz/1.25GB RAM
40GB iPod Photo

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by strokemouth
You are just as bad as the guy who said to get a "real" computer. People like you are the reason we are often called "zealots." If someone posts anything negative about a Mac, they are quick to call them uninformed and incorrect. But, if a Mac user posts something negative about a PC, others are quick to agree and give the thumbs up.

I like to think that one of the best aspects of being a Mac owner is that it shows that I am open to alternatives and don't need to follow the norm; That I am open minded enough to weigh my options decide what is best for me. I know that there is a large number of Mac users like myself and that there are more of us than zealots who will blindly follow Apple. It's too bad that people like you are the ones who get remembered.

(For the record, my workstation at my job is XP, I administer a few Win2K3 servers, a Linux box, and a Solaris box. We have 0 Macs because they won't work with anything we have other than e-mail and internet. I doubt that shows how they DESTROY Windows in EVERY aspect of EVERYTHING.)
Ok, you got me on compatabilty, but I wasnt really thinking about that. From my point of view all of the porgrams I used as a creative professional on PC either run on OSX (A:M, Maya, Photoshop), or have a superior alternative (Vegas --> FCP). However I do think that Apple makes WAY more effort on compatability than they get credit for. I have the only Mac in my house, and Im running on a Windows network. Like I said, all of my apps run on it. Hell even non-professional apps run on it (MS Office anyone?)

You should give a little mroe thought before you make a statement like "Macs dont work with anything other than email and internet" Because thats just not true. Macs are extremely capable machines, and not just for professionals. The main difference is that non-pros have the money factor and the compatability issues, so not switching is understandable.

I take a LOT of ****--stereotypes, cliches, you name it--for being a Mac user. THATS why Im as passionate about it as I am. Most Mac users I've seen are just VERY VERY happy and excited about their switch to Apple. With good reason. So if expressing my happiness over something very happy makes me a zealot, then I am a zealot through and through... As for the dissing XP part of it, thats ineveitable. I mean, I was hating on Windows long before I even was considering switching to Apple.

Now I could see one's frustration with Mac users who havent used PCs for a good amout of their life--they have no personal experience/perpective on which to base their claims, and that is arrogant and foolish of them. But I have spent only my entire life on PC. Hell, I still have to deal with XP's flaws.

Like I said, my statement was not considering compatability, mainly because compatability is not one of my concerns. Everything in my field of work will soon be Mac-only. For those of you who dont have that luxury, my condolences are yours.

So forgive me if I seem like a zealot. I think that many others will agree with me when I say that a big reason I have such strong passion is because I take so much ****. I use a Mac because for what I do, it works better. And people wont just let it be. All of a sudden, I'm considered a jerk by default just because I use a Mac. Its not easy to keep your head when people diss you just because you use something that suits you better. Its foolish really, on both sides, and I porably shouldnt overreact the way I do, but DAMN its hard when people are bitches like that.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by strokemouth
If someone posts anything negative about a Mac, they are quick to call them uninformed and incorrect. But, if a Mac user posts something negative about a PC, others are quick to agree and give the thumbs up.

I like to think that one of the best aspects of being a Mac owner is that it shows that I am open to alternatives and don't need to follow the norm; That I am open minded enough to weigh my options decide what is best for me. I know that there is a large number of Mac users like myself and that there are more of us than zealots who will blindly follow Apple.
Just for the record, some of us�me, at least�tend to easily agree about negative comments about Windows based on personal, daily, real experience with it.

And people wont just let it be. All of a sudden, I'm considered a jerk by default just because I use a Mac. Its not easy to keep your head when people diss you just because you use something that suits you better. Its foolish really, on both sides, and I porably shouldnt overreact the way I do, but DAMN its hard when people are bitches like that.
I, also, dislike people on either side of the fence who blindly bash the other OS. When it comes to Mac bashing, it can be tough to keep my mouth shut sometimes. ...
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules