Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > initialize???????

initialize???????
stevieleaky
Jan 21, 2001, 01:35 AM

well I have about 15gb filled in my 20gb exturnal USB Lacie Hard drive. i was running the computer and it froze when i tried to open an application. I unplugged and started up again and after startup I get a message asking me if I want to initialize the hard disk..... it gives me the two options of "standard 19gb" or "extended 19gb" ..... still the same after several startups.... I ran tech tool and tried scanning for missing drives and nothing happened... disk first aid did not show the drive either...I've been running the computer with the drive for a very long time with no problems....
I have a "rev a " 64mb ,os 9.0 , does this sound familiar? and does it sound like all my files are gone. thanks
Leaky

stevieleaky  (op)
Jan 21, 2001, 12:47 PM

I have updated from mac os 9.0 to 9.04... and still the problem exists..... any help would be appreciated.
Leaky

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2001, 01:17 PM

This has happened to me on both internal and external drives that have reached close to capacity (though yours doesn't seem that full in contrast). In both cases, I was SOL, and I had to reinitialize the drives (thus losing everything on them). I tried TT and FWB to no success.

If items on the drive are crucial, you might be able to send it somewhere for them to retrieve them (can be pricey and I can't recall the name of the service).

Perhaps others can be more helpful. Sorry.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

stevieleaky  (op)
Jan 21, 2001, 11:46 PM

well i hope thats not the case, I'm sure someone has had the same thing happen, maybe, just, maybe there's a way????
Leaky

stevieleaky  (op)
Jan 21, 2001, 11:49 PM

well i hope thats not the case, I'm sure someone has had the same thing happen, maybe, just, maybe there's a way????
Leaky

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2001, 12:05 AM

Sorry I can't help with saving the drive, but this is just a reminder to learn from mistakes. ALWAYS keep backup copies of important stuff.

stevieleaky  (op)
Jan 22, 2001, 12:54 PM

how true......
Leaky

Forum Links
Forum Rules