Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Would you want EV-DO or EDGE on your Powerbook?

Would you want EV-DO or EDGE on your Powerbook?
ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2005, 07:39 AM

Incase you don't know, they are mobile phone network receivers, a lot of laptops (like HP, Sony and Dell, so its the big players) are building this stuff into their portables, any reason why a Powerbook should or shouldn't have them?

As far as I understand it, the connection isn't an open network, but is tied in to a phone carrier network. What do you think?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

redheadfred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 09:03 AM

I think it'd be awesome if they started integrating it into powerbooks. no more big cards sticking out of the side. although, it would be a lot more useful in Europe where EDGE is actually catching on, and the whole 3G thing. America is just too slow...

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Sep 20, 2005, 11:39 AM

Actually, EDGE is pretty common in America now. Cingular's network has it in most places, and a lot of areas in T-Mobile's network have it, too. I have trouble finding places in Atlanta that DON'T have EDGE on T-Mobile. 3G is where America is slow -- there still isn't much of it here yet.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2005, 02:24 PM

evdo > edge
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2005, 03:25 PM

EVDO is a lot of fun. Verizon just bought the price down from $80 to $60 per month. My contract will be up in December but I may just keep it. Unfortunately the PC5220 card does not work as well on my 17" Powerbook as it does on my Sony 10.6" screen T250,

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum38.html

but it is so cool being able to get on the net in a car, parking lot, my work place, or anywhere else in the Ft Laud/Miami area without routers or base stations. Plus I can plug the card into my Powerbook and use it as a base station, letting other laptops connect wirelessly to the net from my 17".

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

So yes, EVDO would be a deal breaker for me if only Apple could put it in their 12" (which has no PC slot) or come up with an even smaller laptop, and improve the screen quality.

xargos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 03:36 PM

Simple answer? Neither. Basically I don't think Apple should be looking into making a laptop that is only compatible with certain companies' services. To some people, using Apple equipment is about having a choice. Let them have the choice. Just keep using PC Cards.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 03:47 PM

I would say EVDO but only because Sprint uses EVDO and they are my carrier. I was just looking at the new SPRINT EVDO phone over at Engadget and it looks great, I just wish it didn't use Windows and wasn't $500.00.... EEEK!
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 08:05 PM

I would say buy a PCMCIA card of whichever technology you need/want.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 03:07 PM

Repeat after me: "PC Card". (PCMCIA has not been the name for many, many years...)

Regardless, I agree. I don't think Apple should be choosing one technology or the other to offer. It could be nice to have an internal slot (the way AirPort works) that could accept a card for whatever technology one uses.

That said, I don't see the point of it until mobile data prices come down a whole lot. I can't afford to spend all sorts of money for wireless in addition to my DSL at home, in addition to cellphone costs. (I ditched my land line completely.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules