Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my iBook is dead and I want it back!

my iBook is dead and I want it back!
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 07:58 PM

suddenly I start up my iBook and nothing happens, just a gray screen standing there, no apple, no folder with question mark no nothing,

so I try to boot up with the CD that came with it and it loads perfectly but when I open disk utility to re-install the OS, is NO hard drive there to select, it seems that the HD dissapear. it doesn't show up,

so, somebody told me that I can access it thru another Mac using a Firewire Cable, I put in target mode my MDD and it load perfect inside the iBook but it does not show me any HD inside my iBook,

so I tried to start up the iBook with Disk Warrior, it didn't start. I tried TechTool Pro 4, and nothing, I tried disk rescue and nothing... the only CD that boot up the iBook is the one that came with it, but when I select the drive that its named MEDIA (I dont know why?) and tried to erase it, it freeze!

I can see the hard drive when I open the disk utility application but everytime I click on "erase" it freeze! how I can see the iBook hard drive in my MDD G4? like an external drive.

I just want to see the iBook HD inside my MDD G4, and be able to re-format-whatever it again! please help!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

bourgeoisie
Jan 28, 2006, 03:09 AM

sounds like maybe your hd might have died. how old is it?
green links don't belong to me!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2006, 09:48 AM

Regardless of how broken the HD is I would think he would still see it in Disk Utility. Makes me think his ATA connector has malfunctioned or come undone.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2006, 12:14 PM

RIP your drive. The computer can't see a drive whose controller OR whose IDE circuitry (that's the logic board OR the drive electronics) have failed. Of course the Mac will probably tell you if the IDE controller has bit the dust, so you're left with the drive's electronics.

Did S.M.A.R.T. report anything during bootup before this failure-or did you ever watch the boot process?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
RIP your drive. The computer can't see a drive whose controller OR whose IDE circuitry (that's the logic board OR the drive electronics) have failed. Of course the Mac will probably tell you if the IDE controller has bit the dust, so you're left with the drive's electronics.

Did S.M.A.R.T. report anything during bootup before this failure-or did you ever watch the boot process?
guess what? I get tired of that machine and went to a Mac technician, and I trade the iBook G3 for a Blue and white G3 with max ram two HDs, OS X Panther on it keboard and mouse and the original Blue monitor!!!! what do you think of it? it was a bad move? I mean I already made that move, thoug... I hope it was a great idea....

bourgeoisie
Jan 28, 2006, 08:51 PM

i'm personally attached to the portability of the ibook, but that sounds like a pretty sweet trade, congrats!
green links don't belong to me!

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisie
i'm personally attached to the portability of the ibook, but that sounds like a pretty sweet trade, congrats!
I knew it!!! HA! WooHoooo!

Forum Links
Forum Rules