Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why the hell can't my ibook see my ipod?

Why the hell can't my ibook see my ipod?
bourgeoisie
Jan 28, 2006, 06:29 AM

i swear as soon as i found out im getting a new computer, this one decides to have problem after problem!

800mhz g3 ibook 10.2.8 w/ 3g 15gb ipod

i plug in the ipod, and nothing happens. reset ipod and force into disk mode, nothing. after a restart and a few more times resetting the ipod and forcing into disk mode, it'll recognize it for one session, then as soon as i eject it, i have to repeat this process several times to get it recognized again. i tried borrowing a usb ipod cable from a friend (mine is fw) and though it's slightly easier to get it to recognize, it won't charge the ipod (and my battery's in need of a replacement) so in the middle of file transfer the battery dies and i'm back at square one.

any advice?
green links don't belong to me!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2006, 12:17 PM

Does the iBook see anything else on that port? It sounds like the port is not working well. Further, if the iBook is having power problems, it's possible that this aggravates the problem. What happens with the iBook plugged in to AC?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bourgeoisie  (op)
Jan 28, 2006, 04:01 PM

i don't have any other fw devices to try on my fw port, but both my usb ports work flawlessly with my pro mouse and my sony digicam. my power adapter is a little picky since the tip got stepped on (magsafe should have been invented years ago! and not just for laptops) so i imagine that's contributing to the issue at hand, but while trying to solve this ipod problem my power adapter was plugged in and glowing and appeared to be working as normal.
green links don't belong to me!

Forum Links
Forum Rules