Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > what happened to my friends monitor

what happened to my friends monitor
Blizzake
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2007, 02:25 PM

any ideas here

"Was just using the computer when these green lines started appearing on the screen. I rebooted, did an update check, and am now scanning for viruses. I also dont seem to have a laptop that will connect with my display. The green lines "move" so I assume the display is physically ok. Do LCDs wear out?"

thanks
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2007, 02:50 PM

That doesn't look like a monitor problem, but rather video corruption -- ie. bad video memory or an overheating video card.

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2007, 06:00 PM

could be other electronics running from the same power source or nearby. Try changing outlets and moving other devices away from the computer. It sounds a little funny I know, but I had a very similar problem. Turns out my a.c. was doing it lol. Also, it might not clear up right away, you may have to reset everything and play around a bit.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 03:36 AM

I have a similar problem- I figured it wasn't worth starting a new thread over.
I was starting up my rarely used G4 tower using an old CRT (which worked fine as a second monitor on my G5 tower). On start up, the monitor worked fine, up until the grey apple disappeared and the desktop showed up. At that point, the screen started to scroll down rapidly (as can be seen in the following shots). Is there any way to fix this, or is the monitor shot?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 12:24 PM

Miniryu, that looks like what can happen when a CRT is connected to a source that is trying to make it use a resolution or refresh rate that it doesn't support. Since you can at least see the display enough to swtich, try getting to the display preferences and knock the resolution down to something really low - like 800x600 at 60Hz or so. See if that fixes at least the erratic behaviour...then you can work your way up the resolution list until you find the best settings that are compatible with your monitor.

Or, look up the monitor specs online and set it to whatever that says.

To the OP - I've also seen that issue with a bad or misconnected video cable - try reseating the video card and the video cable to see if that fixes the problem, or try a different video cable.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Miniryu, that looks like what can happen when a CRT is connected to a source that is trying to make it use a resolution or refresh rate that it doesn't support.
That's what I thought, but I've switched the resolution to 800x600 already with no luck. Plus, the monitor was capable of showing the start up screen when I booted up- it wasn't until the desktop came on that things got screwy. But anyway...

Oh, and thanks for replying so quickly!

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules