Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Pismo RAM Freeze

PowerBook Pismo RAM Freeze
jstephan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2001, 10:09 PM

I recently tried to add RAM to the Apple factory installed 128MB RAM (bottom slot, 1 chip) on my Pismo ( OS9.1/400/128/6G). I ordered a 512MB RAM from Other World Computing [512mb PC100 2-2-2 Full Size SO-DIMM for PowerBook FireWire (Pismo) w/ Lifetime Warranty (TPW512LF)].

When I started up after installation of the RAM, the machine froze and I received a bomb window that says �Sorry, a system error occurred. address error. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key.�

On restart, I click the restart button on the bomb window; the button blinked, but nothing happened, no restart. I then restart without Extensions by pressing the Command Key, the Control Key and the Power Button, and holding down the Shift Key to disable Extensions, and the PB starts up without Extensions. I then try to restart without holding down the Shift Key, and the machine freezes with the same bomb window and message as before.

I ran Tech Tools Deluxe, and the Apple Hardware Test, and both tools indicated a RAM problem. I removed the RAM, and everything worked fine. I put the RAM back in, and the Pismo froze again.

Before I return the 512MB RAM to Other World Computing, I figured that I would check around to see if there is something that I might be missing, or doing wrong. Any ideas. Thank you.

anly
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2001, 10:38 PM

Damn, bad luck is all i can say. I've ordered a 512MB Ram from Trans Intl and everything works great!! Hope your replacement will do you the trick!!

Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 10:51 PM

According to Apple History Pismos are lmited to 512 MB of RAM. But clearly that's not a real limit since anly says his has more than that.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2001, 11:09 PM

I ordered two 512 DIMMS for my 500 Mhz Pismo from OWC.
I installed them and start having problems, like apps constantlly crashing and kernel panics in Mac OS X.

I emailed OWC and got an RMA number for the return of the defective memory chips. I sent them back, and never again got an answer to my emails from OWC or the replacement memory shipped

I�ve also tryed to call them on the phone several times, but i always stay holding in line without an answer. I live outside the US so this calls are not free, but rather expensive for me.

I really don�t know what to do to get my replacement DIMMS, I�ve already sent 4 emails and haven�t got a single answer

I�ll apreciate if anyone can help me with this problem...what do you guys think I should do? Is there any customer service organization in the US where i could send an email to see if i can get some help about this?

thanks.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: ARENA ]

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2001, 01:08 AM

I have purchased memory for a Ti, a dual USB iBook and a Pismo from Coast to Coast Memory http://www.18004memory.com/
and not only is it the least expensive, it is perfect...no problems whatsoever as well as great customer service.
I have had difficulties with OWC (a firewire enclosure, not RAM). The customer service is VERY spotty, you have to be persistent and I don't think emails will do it (they didn't for me), you have to reach them by phone.
They eventually cleared up my problem, but they are sloppy and need to be pressured.
Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules