Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New PDA

New PDA
Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2002, 11:03 AM

Ok, gang. After two glorious years with my Handspring Deluxe Visor, its time to get a new PDA sometime soon. Here is what I want:

* Color
* 802.11b support so I can connect to the airport (i want it built-in, not an add-on card)
* Minimum 8mb memory
* Mac Compatible (well duh)

I understand PalmOS 5 is gonna have 802.11b support in it, but I dont really understand that. Don't people already have wireless add-ons for their pda's?

Thanks for the help, guys. You rock
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Sealobo
Mar 31, 2002, 04:50 AM

Sounds like it would be something made by Apple

I seriously doubt if the PDA that you want will connect with Mac via Airport. I mean it's nothing impossible but it seems that BlueTooth is a more proper way to do it. I think this is one of the reasons why Apple has started implementnig the BT technology into the Mac.

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 08:40 PM

DON'T look at the new Sharp Zaurus. I made that mistake at the local office supply store and walked out the door with a brand new one. $500, like a PocketPC device but no Microsoft! I liked the appearance and speed of the linux-based OS. It looked a lot like OS X to me. Yes, you're right, there's no software, but the same was true for MacOS X a year ago. It comes with Opera 5 built in and I ordered the 802.11b CF card ($107).

Like I said, DON"T go look at it. (http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/TypeLanding/0,1056,112,00.html)

I have a Kyocera SmartPhone (think Palm VII with a cell phone), but have been absolutely unispired by what Palm has done recently (like how long it took them to come out with a Palm Desktop for OS X). I was in the market for an iPaq, but was waiting for the conduits.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2002, 03:24 PM

What does anyone really NEED a PDA for?

Just keep using the handspring, it likely does everything you honest NEED, and even that isn't really anything that couldn't be done with a pen and paper agenda.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

<�snake�>
Apr 2, 2002, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>What does anyone really NEED a PDA for?</STRONG>

I need one that can do (or be):
� Mobile phone
� Email
� GPS
� Electronic Drawing pad
� Sinch via Airport
� Perhaps instant message
� Perhaps store data on removeable media
� Firewire port

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 01:37 AM

Get a Newton.

It:

can synch via Airport
can act as a drawing pad
can use handwriting recognition (still the best)
has a battery that lasts forever
was made by apple

it even synchs up to iTunes now.

<�snake�>
Apr 3, 2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by shatten22:
<STRONG>Get a Newton.

It:

can synch via Airport
can act as a drawing pad
can use handwriting recognition (still the best)
has a battery that lasts forever
was made by apple

it even synchs up to iTunes now.

</STRONG>
Other than the Airport synching (awesome, I didn't know it could do that!) and the drawing pad, the Newton doesn't fit any of my criteria. From what I remember, It also doesn't fit in my pocket very well. Something pager-size would be great (and probably possible, not including the ports).

robodweeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by shatten22:
<STRONG>Get a Newton.
can synch via Airport</STRONG>

Can you point me to more info on this, eg a website? Is there a PDF viewer for NewtonOS?

I've been putting off buying a PDA for more than a year, in the hopes that Apple would surprise us, but it's getting harder to hold out. While I agree that Apple shouldn't compete directly with Palm/Handspring, I think Apple could make a truly superior and useful device that is an adjunct to a home-based G4 digital hub. I don't need to edit videos as I move around in life; I do need to be able to access information at home and use a mobile device to help me capture new information (from notes to audio recordings to still pictures) I collect as I do my life stuff (work, school, fun).

Nothing else seems to do what i need to do ... at least Newtons are relatively cheap on eBay. If I could connect via Airport to a TCP/IP network and I could read/annotate PDF files, I'd get a Newton.

Justin W. Williams  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Matsu:
<STRONG>What does anyone really NEED a PDA for?

Just keep using the handspring, it likely does everything you honest NEED, and even that isn't really anything that couldn't be done with a pen and paper agenda.</STRONG>
I use my PDA for everything, but I hate pumping batteries into my Visor. I'd rather have a rechargeable one, but I don't want to get one w/o the features I REALLY want.

And the thing I dont like about bluetooth is that it isnt as far of a distance as 802.11b (at least i think thati s what i read).
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 12:05 PM

Hello robodweeb,

for wireless ethernet (802.11) and other very top-of-the-line capabilities on the Newton platform, check out this Slashdot article:

Slashdot | Long live The King of PDAs http://slashdot.org/apple/02/04/03/0....shtml?tid=100

This article also refers to MP3 on the Newt, collaboration with Mac OS X, up to 10 GB of internal storage, etc.

Amazing. Take that, iPaq, Jornada, ... :-)

Regards,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules