Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bad Advice from Chicago Tribune

Bad Advice from Chicago Tribune
yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 11:32 AM

My local paper runs a column written by Jim Coates, of the Chicago Tribune, in which he answers computer user questions. This morning someone with a G3 writes to ask why he gets a low memory message when he opens IE, and Coates answers that he has to set minimum and "maximum" memory to 200 K. I've already sent Coates an email settinghim straight, but maybe those of you who live in Chicagoland ought to get in touch with him too. I feel sorry for the poor sap who doesn't know enough to come on line to get that kind of info, but his ignorance ought not to bring him bad advice!
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Lerkfish
Mar 10, 2002, 01:49 PM

keep in mind this could be just a garden variety typo rather than complete ignorance.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2002, 02:43 PM

Mac users seem to have this habit of roasting every media person who gets something incorrect about the Mac.

While it's good to correct errors, I don't think we as Mac users win friends by flaming journalists into oblivion.

If you've corrected him, probably a few others have as well. Inundating the poor guy with email on the subject probably isn't necessary, since he'll get the message after the first three or four.

This is solely my opinion, and doesn't represent any policy or position of MacNN.com.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Nimisys
Banned
Mar 10, 2002, 05:09 PM

no that writer is a ****ing moron... on the windows side he told someone whos computer kept not responding that it was the internet setting to sllways make sure they were connected that was causing all the freezing... pure ****ing moron

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 10, 2002, 05:16 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 08:36 PM. )

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2002, 05:20 PM

No, James Coates is a complete idiot. He gets pretty much everything wrong, mac or pc. People write in and ask him questions, and he just gives them crap for answerrs.

In general he hates macs, except when he doesnt. (Yes thats a strange statement, but you know what I mean)

yoyo52  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>Uh, who the hell reads the newpaper to get help with Mac questions? No offense to those that do. But really.</STRONG>
I agree on the whole, but there are nice people out there who aren't exactly technowhizzes and do depend on the newspaper for information. They deserve better from the sources they depend on.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2002, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>Mac users seem to have this habit of roasting every media person who gets something incorrect about the Mac.

While it's good to correct errors, I don't think we as Mac users win friends by flaming journalists into oblivion.

If you've corrected him, probably a few others have as well. Inundating the poor guy with email on the subject probably isn't necessary, since he'll get the message after the first three or four.

This is solely my opinion, and doesn't represent any policy or position of MacNN.com.</STRONG>
Agreed, Victor. A couple of weeks ago, Mike Wendland, of the Detroit Free Press, wrote a review of the new iMac which was very positive. The only thing that would keep him from switching was that he updates several web sites daily, and they're created in Front Page; otherwise he would trade his PC for a Mac immediately! He received over 300 replies, many of which were downright nasty! Flaming a guy who likes Macs, and who is in a position to positively influence people on computer purchases, is not too smart, and reinforces many people's views that we are all a bunch of elitist snobs and whiners!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules