Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New to Apple...

New to Apple...
Sander
Mar 1, 2002, 05:29 PM

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right forum but I have some questions (purely out of curiosity) that might help me accelerate into Mac Culture.

I bought an iBook last month (I love it!) and I have been reading the forums here and I noticed that people were talking about Pismos and Wallstreets. I know that they are Powerbooks but what is the differece and how did they get the names? Are there more names out there?

Also, whatever happened to that gorgeous G4 Cube? Does anyone know the real reason why they stopped producing them? Price? Heating problems?

Thanks in advance.
Have a nice day!

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Sander:
<STRONG>HAlso, whatever happened to that gorgeous G4 Cube? Does anyone know the real reason why they stopped producing them? Price? Heating problems?</STRONG>
Naw. They sucked. And they weren't selling.

Welcome to the mac. You'll never go back. *groan*

Sosa
Senior User
Mar 1, 2002, 06:03 PM

The Cubes were cool but Apple pulled them because of low sales. The problem was little expandability (not that most people expand much) and price range. It was right between the iMac and G4, most people chose one of those two if they wanted performance (G4) or affordability (iMac). I guess the Cube had an identity crisis! Well, I guess style was its strength.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2002, 06:03 PM

welcome.

wallstreet and Pismo were the code names for those respective powerbooks. Basically all of the powerbooks/Tower/iMac etc, have all had the same name for a few years now. And to avoid confusion among those in the know they are give names based on either the code name or when it was produced.

Yeah, the cube was too expensive at introduction. didn't sell, when the price was finally brought down to where it should have started they started moving, but alas, too little too late.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2002, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Sander:
<STRONG>I bought an iBook last month (I love it!) and I have been reading the forums here and I noticed that people were talking about Pismos and Wallstreets. I know that they are Powerbooks but what is the differece and how did they get the names? Are there more names out there?</STRONG>
Welcome. Try this thread (PB Forum).

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 06:12 PM

I know, the Cube was great! My dad bought one and it worked flawlessly for him. Thankfully he upgraded and I got it

fulmer
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>I know, the Cube was great! My dad bought one and it worked flawlessly for him. Thankfully he upgraded and I got it </STRONG>
our physics lab is stocked with cubes. They're great, but they were just too damn expensive.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 01:16 AM

If you're curious about the various Macs that Apple has gifted us with, you can't do better than the Apple History Page.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 05:10 AM

I almost got a cube, they are soo cool, and silent too. But I have grown accustomed to the gentle purring of my G4 Tower

Sander, you are one lucky Dude, I druel over the iBook everytime I walk into my local mac dealer.

Sander  (op)
Mar 2, 2002, 11:48 AM

Thanks a lot everyone. It's amazing to see how many innovative machines that Apple has created over the years... There should be an Apple Museum of some sort. (Maybe there is already.)

Cheers and thanks again.
Have a nice day!

cheerios
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by yoyo52:
<STRONG>If you're curious about the various Macs that Apple has gifted us with, you can't do better than the Apple History Page.</STRONG>
aw, beat me to that link! Was JUST about ot post it... great minds think alike?
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
<STRONG>

aw, beat me to that link! Was JUST about ot post it... great minds think alike?</STRONG>
Of couse Not to mention cool ones too
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 2, 2002, 06:50 PM

Look at the price and specs of the new iMac and the demand for it and then look at the price and specs of the Cube. That is why the Cube failed. It was also one product too many to the Apple range.

Forum Links
Forum Rules