Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 54)
andi*pandi
Oct 21, 2020, 09:47 AM

If hunter's addiction was a big secret then I can see the possibility of blackmail.. however it's pretty public, embarrassing photos notwithstanding. Joe loves his son and is proud of his recovery.

Now, about Tiffany appearing drunk off her socks at a Trump LGBTQ rally? Or Eric and Don Jr similarly appearing wasted (twitter likes to say on cocaine)? While technically being govt representatives (?!?)
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 10:08 AM

“It’s pretty open Hunter committed felonies on the regular, but Trump’s kids drink.”

Not. Helping.

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2020, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Those are only a liability if he can’t pay them off.

My guess is he can pay them. He’ll have to liquidate assets though.
That’s your guess, but we don’t know whether or not he can. If he used his assets as a security in other business dealings, he might not be free to sell his assets even though his assets >= Trump’s liabilities. Even if President Trump could liquidate these assets in office (during a second term), that in itself would present a huge conflict of interest (e. g. because of who is buying or for what price).
Added to that, it gives the impression Hunter has no control over himself, and his father has no control over the situation.
I find it weird how weirdly people are interpreting the situation. We all have someone in our family who is an addict. Perhaps it is alcohol, perhaps it is something else. You don’t have control over them, nor do they over you. They don’t have full control over their addiction. You still love them, though. That’s how I understood Biden’s response during the debate: he did not want to throw his son under the bus on national TV in front of millions, and told him that he loves him and is proud of him. Because he didn’t want his son to be a pinball in the game of politics. I thought it was a rare display of honest, deeply felt humanity and empathy.

I don’t know the Biden family at all, but I can imagine it wasn’t easy if you are facing severe trauma as a child, your father is a prodigy (becoming a US Senator at age 29, that’s impressive), your brother is on his way to follow into your father’s footstep. Oh, and he is a highly decorated military vet, too, while you got thrown out/quit the military. You feel like a loser. And you are an addict, which makes you even more of a loser. As an addict, achieving a fraction of what your brother and father did will be even more difficult. To make matters worse, your brother dies, too. I can see aspects of my life experiences reflected in here.

If we had more empathy for each other, we’d leave Hunter Biden alone. I don’t think he presents a serious security risk to a President Biden.
That’s a bad look for someone who asks to lead the free world. Say what you will about Trump, he keeps his kids in line.
I feel like we are watching different movies. Trump’s children are in on the family business (you could say in on the con), whereas Joe Biden isn’t mixing business/politics with his son Hunter. (I wouldn’t want to go into business with a close family member when I know they are guided by their addiction.) Trump’s children earn their share in business dealings (including e. g. Ivanka Trump double dipping as an employee and a consultant on the same project). They are his closest advisors. They are the people with the most power in the White House.
“It’s pretty open Hunter commits felonies on the regular, but Trump’s kids drink.”

Not. Helping.
Trump’s tax returns smell of impropriety, and at least his daughter Ivanka is named explicitly as being involved in questionable decisions that may amount to tax fraud (where Ivanka Trump was double dipping). I reckon at least some of his other children are involved, too. So I think it is kinda myopic to focus on drub abuse and forget about other potential crime.

PS Not that I care, but wasn’t the rumor that Trump’s son Donald Jr. was on cocaine, i. e. that he was high, not drunk?
PPS A former President also had a drug problem, before he turned his life around. At one point of his life, he also committed felonies on the regular. Does that matter? I think not. IMHO it just shoes how hypocritical and badly most countries deal with drugs.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Oct 21, 2020 at 10:22 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Biden (Sr) is already winning by a wide margin. Even if the laptop is fake, their best course might be to ignore it until after the election. Even denying it drags them into possible Russia theories that can't be proven on short notice.
The way I see it is that in the list of priorities, this is extremely low on my list. And it is being used to distract from things that might literally kill another 100,000 Americans. You have the pandemic, racial unrest, climate change, the economic downturn, a health care crisis, a housing crises, US losing influence due to its recent decisions, a sitting President who is a walking Emoluments Clause violation, who flirts with white supremacists, etc.

Hunter Biden’s laptop is not even visible on this pile of actual problems. And that Trump is the one who would chastise Biden for improprieties in the family putting the hypocrisy dial to 11.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
(I wouldn’t want to go into business with a close family member when I know they are guided by their addiction.)
That’s the whole point.

Joe knows his son is a walking disaster. This requires some “tough love”, which means getting in the way of high-paying consultancies in foreign countries, not enabling them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So I think it is kinda myopic to focus on drub abuse and forget about other potential crime.
¿Por qué no los dos?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 12:23 PM

As an aside, I’ve done cocaine, and I know a ton of people who have. I don’t really consider it that big a deal for someone with some self control.

Do not do meth.

Like, seriously.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2020, 12:36 PM

From what I gather, voters DGAF about Hunter Biden. They care about Covid, healthcare and other stuff. Conservatives have been slating Trump's campaign team for trying to flog the Hunter horse so desperately.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 02:42 PM

The opinion of the conservatives I’ve seen is they know the information is being released in a structured way, and they’re impatiently waiting for the third act.

andi*pandi
Oct 21, 2020, 05:26 PM

was it Rudy in the Borat movie? Cause that's not much of an act.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Fox is reporting on the story.
They are NOW.

They didn’t touch the initial story.

FBI, DOJ Concur: Hunter Biden Laptop, Emails NOT ‘Russian Disinformation’
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...4ySL1RsikI2LtQ
Yep, it would seem that this disinformation isn’t necessarily of Russian origin, even if it’s in Russian interest.

Giuliani’s ties are more in the Ukraine, and he’s been using them for a long time to try and fabricate anything to smear Biden — as we know from the “perfect” phone call that got Trump impeached.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What....does that Q in your sig stand for?
Yeah...I was wondering about that too.

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2020, 07:19 PM

Joe knows his son is a walking disaster. This requires some “tough love”, which means getting in the way of high-paying consultancies in foreign countries, not enabling them.
I don’t see how Joe Biden is enabling Hunter Biden’s consultancy by anything other than being closely related to him. Joe Biden hasn’t arranged for Hunter Biden to get these jobs, Hunter Biden got paid for the last name essentially. I am not sure what you mean by “tough love” either, all involved are all adults, once an addict is an adult, there is precious little you can do in terms of “getting in the way.” All Biden can do is separate himself from his son’s business ventures and try to help him — which seems to be what he has been doing all along. So overall, the story is a big nothing burger from a political perspective.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 21, 2020, 08:43 PM

I agree with Oreo. If Hunter were on the ballot, I'd be interested. But he's not running for office, and is an adult child.

Thorzdad
Today, 04:04 PM

[set curmudgeon_mode=1]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Today, 04:58 PM

Ah, the violent leftist Antifa strikes again.

A couple of days later, during police protests Austin, Texas, police pulled over a truck after seeing three men in tactical gear and carrying guns drive away in it. Hunter, in the front passenger seat, wore six loaded banana magazines for an AK-47-style assault rifle on his tactical vest, according federal authorities. The two other men had AR-15 magazines affixed to their vests. The officers found an AK-47-style rifle and two AR-15 rifles on the rear seat of the vehicle, a pistol next to the driver’s seat and another pistol in the center console.

Hunter denied he owned any of the weapons found in the vehicle. He did, according to the complaint, volunteer he was the leader of the Boogaloo Bois in South Texas and that he was present in Minneapolis when the Third Precinct was set on fire. Police seized the guns and let Hunter and the others go.
That's...the whitest shit I've ever heard.

reader50
Administrator
Today, 05:15 PM

Money must grow on trees for these guys. He gave away several thousand dollars of guns & mags to the police, rather than admit ownership.

Forum Links
Forum Rules