Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > certain songs locking up iTunes/system

certain songs locking up iTunes/system
mr. burns
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 03:52 AM

a while ago certain songs in my itunes library suddenly started locking up itunes leading to the entire system locking up. i have my mp3s on a seperate HD in a 5gb partion. that partition is full, only 8MB left. when a song locks up, itunes freezes and the HD starts making a kinda of chirp noise every 3 seconds or so. this gives me a ~5 second window to quickly switch over to itunes and do a command Q, otherwise the entire system becomes bogged down to the point where i can't do a thing but move my mouse cursor around.
is this related to the HD partition being full or are these certain songs of mine becoming corupt?

not all who wander are lost.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2006, 04:15 AM

I would open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder, click on your external drive listed in the Disk Utility window and check the S.M.A.R.T. status.

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 03:28 PM

eek. it says it's failing. it's the original drive that came with my gigabit dual G4. guess it's time to back up and retire it.

thanks.

not all who wander are lost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules