Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Problem with CSS

Problem with CSS
Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 04:36 AM

Basically, I'm trying to create a tableless forum topic page for my forum. (Not the problem) I started out with some problems, but after recoding from the ground up I've gotten it pretty much finished... except for one problem with FireFox and other browsers based on the same technology.

http://www.jasoco.net/data/GeekPub%2...lder/test.html

In Safari, that looks fine so far. But in FireFox, you'll notice the part with "Quote", "Edit", etc in it jumps down to the next line and takes up the whole width of the box. Why does it do this? This is my biggest freaking problem and keeps getting in my way! How do I get it back up to the line above it? (With the post time/date)

The same thing will happen when I try to make the title bar section.

Once I get this stupid problem solved in FF, (Which most of my members are using) I can die happy. Please tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Edit: Once that's solved, can someone tell me if there's any way to have the left side be a fixed width and the right side still act correctly? (Notice when the page is resized, the left eventually gets too small it overlaps the avatar.) I have to use percentages (20% and 80%) right now, but would much rather have the left side be 160 pixels and the right side to be the remainder, but trying stuff like auto and inherit just causes more layout flow problems. Grrr..

Oh, and one more thing. Can I somehow have the left side take up the entire height? That gray space below the smaller post is annoying. And if I switch the color to white, the left side becomes the problem on larger posts.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 08:33 AM

try using padding instead of margin on the .navg class. and use min-width on your post_side id

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 08:35 AM

oh and the height thing, the easy way just how you have the divs set up would be to use a background image, but you could probably do a min-height that equals the height of the avatar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules