Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Alternative OS Reference > The RIGHT Firmware

The RIGHT Firmware
ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 04:54 PM

Below are links to the CORRECT firmware needed for your Intel Mac to be able to run Boot Camp.

8/15/06 I only have the iMac and Mac Mini links at this time; please feel free to provide links for any other Intel-based Mac! Thanks!!!

For the Intel-based iMac, use THIS firmware.

For the Intel-based Mac Mini, use THIS firmware.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 06:23 PM

It seems like it should be pretty obvious that you want the latest firmware for using BootCamp.

Same version as the two above:
MacBook Pro (early 2006) Firmware Update 1.0.1

Addresses fan and boot issues:
MacBook Pro 15-inch SMC Firmware Update

Addresses fan issues:
MacBook Pro 17-inch SMC Firmware Update

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 08:33 PM

Latest, yes. But the SMC firmware doesn't seem to address the EFI/BIOS issue, at least on the iMac and the Mini...

So the MBP firmware you posted IS the "right" firmware for Boot Camp?

When my MBP shows up (it's coming through a third party so I don't know exactly when that will be) I'll be in a position to play with this stuff and stop guessing...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Latest, yes. But the SMC firmware doesn't seem to address the EFI/BIOS issue, at least on the iMac and the Mini...
Oh sure, it's just the firmware for the System Management Controller chip, not the whole chipset. That's what the first link is for.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 09:12 PM

Wow...this firmware/smc update fixes the slow sata performance on my Mac Pro in Bootcamp (windows XP). Yay!

jimbotko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2006, 04:36 PM

I have a 20" iMac and have attempted to install both the SMC update AND the firmware update 1.0.1 from 4/17/06, and both say "This computer does not need this update." Yet Boot Camp still tells me that it won't unless I update the firmware.

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2006, 03:04 PM

Hey all, I'm a little confused if I need to do the EFI and/or SMC firmware updates on my black MacBook Core 2 Duo (brand new, just came yesterday). Here are my current firmware versions:

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B00
SMC Version: 1.13f3

Do need the EFI 1.0 and the SMC 1.1 updates or am I good to go out of the box? I am wanting to load Bootcamp + XP but I am hung up on this firmware step... I don't want to flash my new system w/ older stuff, and I don't want to continue w/o the updates if I do need them.

Thanks for any info you can give me
Peace
//B

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 11:04 PM

anybody have the lates for MB CD?
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

bigfoot92
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 10:01 AM

anyone have macbook firmware

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 27, 2007, 09:23 PM

All these firmwares are on Apple's site. You have to look for them, but they're there. So to make things a bit easier, look here to start.

infitom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

If I Could find the Bootcamp Firmware for the Air, I could install XP without a CD drive.,

The BOOTCAMP installer can repartition the drive, but will not install without the CD directly connected.

I've created a bootable USB drive using the HP USB Format Utility, formatted it for DOS and copied the Windows XP cd to it. Then I installed REFIT to choose to boot from it. If I can boot to DOS on that partition, I could run WINNT32.exe and install.

Unfortunately REFIT says that it is booting in legacy mode, and the KB article (rEFIt - Documentation - Legacy Booting: Not Found Error) says I need a firmware update for the Air.

Unfortunately, I don't see how BOOTCAMP installs it, and I cannot find an external update. I've googled everywhere.

Argh!

Any help you might have would be appreciated.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by infitom View Post
Unfortunately REFIT says that it is booting in legacy mode, and the KB article (rEFIt - Documentation - Legacy Booting: Not Found Error) says I need a firmware update for the Air.

Unfortunately, I don't see how BOOTCAMP installs it, and I cannot find an external update. I've googled everywhere.
There is no firmware update for the MacBook Air, and there probably won't be one that will solve your issue. Even Apple says that you can't use Boot Camp on a MacBook Air without a SuperDrive attached.

Forum Links
Forum Rules