Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 35)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 27, 2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My Spidey-senses tingle he’s far into the DGAF zone.
Disagree. He enters that zone once he gets his tax cuts. Until then its all for naught.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2017, 10:11 AM

Trump amongst first to retweet far right UK videos!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42166663
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2017, 12:57 AM

In re @realDonaldTrump retweets of @JaydaBF videos this morning @PressSec "Whether it's a real video, the threat is real. His goal is to promote strong border security and strong national security."
This is really, really bad. The press secretary just said the facts don't matter.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2017, 02:05 AM

At this point can we just all agree that Trump is an unmitigated f*cking disaster as POTUS? Is there any credible argument otherwise?

OAW

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2017, 02:49 AM

So Captain double down manages to escalate the situation into one where he has a pot shot at his strongest international ally.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42176507

You know that person you know who is never ever wrong about anything and won't stop telling you...

reader50
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
So Captain double down manages to escalate the situation into one where he has a pot shot at his strongest international ally.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42176507
Originally Posted by the article
"Don't focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom," Mr Trump tweeted.
I thought the biggest issue in the UK is Brexit, not "Radical Islamic Terrorism".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2017, 05:27 AM

It certainly should be but our pro-Brexit contingent are as utterly deluded and insane as they ever were as far as I can tell and the media is still afraid to say its a stupid idea.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
At this point can we just all agree that Trump is an unmitigated f*cking disaster as POTUS? Is there any credible argument otherwise?

OAW
The end justify the means feels like a credible argument.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2017, 11:18 AM

If whoever built the nuclear football is smart, there should be a code that you can enter that kills the guy holding it instead of firing a nuke. If thats not a current feature, it should be implemented for when Alex Jones becomes the next Republican POTUS.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2017, 03:41 PM

Yeah, Lizzie... leave the buzzwords to the millennials.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 12, 2017, 10:41 PM

Rand Paul says he can't vote to add more to US debt after voting for 1.5T in debt adding tax cuts.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2017, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Rand Paul says he can't vote to add more to US debt after voting for 1.5T in debt adding tax cuts.
Am I missing something? This tax cut thing is supposed to stimulate the economy and reward "wealth creators" Fair enough, if Trump/The Republicans believe it will work to strengthen the economy then it's straightforward argument as to the truth of this, BUT if the same bill acknowledges that it will add 1.5 trillion TO to debt, isn't that kind of the same thing as saying, "borrow 1.5 trillion and hand it to the wealthy and wave it bye bye?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2017, 08:47 AM

Yes, thats exactly what is happening.

Thorzdad
Dec 13, 2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
BUT if the same bill acknowledges that it will add 1.5 trillion TO to debt, isn't that kind of the same thing as saying, "borrow 1.5 trillion and hand it to the wealthy and wave it bye bye?
You need to look at the long game. The huge increase in debt is a set-up to justify slashing more of the social safety net, including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 10:07 AM

By their own bullshit estimates it still adds 1T in debt. They've been pushing the bill on flat out lies and unconvincing faith.

andi*pandi
Dec 13, 2017, 11:55 AM

My folks and their generation are already bemoaning on facebook that their social security got cut, at the same time medicare went up $10. The cuts are varying, and very odd.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.25e83eed4037
The Senate Judiciary Committee’s top Republican said Wednesday that two of President Trump’s nominees for open seats on the federal bench will not be confirmed, just a day after urging the White House to “reconsider” them.

Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) said that based on his discussions with the White House, the nominations of Jeff Mateer and Brett Talley would not move forward through the confirmation process. The decision comes after reports that both nominees made public comments celebrating groups or policies that were discriminatory.
He voted them out of committee but apparently they're even too far for him.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2017, 09:23 PM

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...56881908109312
I'd assumed this was a Hill leak. But this suggests Fox got the texts directly from someone at DOJ, which only handed over about 375 texts to Congress, per Politico.
Our @FoxNews producer @JakeBGibson has obtained 10K texts between Peter Strzok and Lisa Page
Does this count as an illegal leak?

But wait there's more: http://www.businessinsider.com/peter...-trump-2017-12
The Justice Department invited a group of reporters to its offices on Tuesday night to view private text messages sent during the 2016 campaign by Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, former investigators on the special counsel Robert Mueller's team, Business Insider has learned.
It is "highly unusual" for the DOJ to release private correspondences that are the subject of an ongoing investigation to Congress, let alone to the press, a source on one of the congressional committees investigating Russia's election interference told Business Insider on Wednesday.

One source close to the process who requested anonymity to discuss internal DOJ deliberations said the texts were given to reporters in case they did not leak in time for Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein's public hearing on Wednesday morning.

"It is at least debatable whether it was appropriate to turn them over to the Hill in the middle of an ongoing investigation," Miller said. "Under no circumstances was it appropriate to leak them to the press."

It is not clear who invited the reporters to view the texts.
It is true that the DOJ will sometimes give documents to reporters that it is already going to hand over to Congress. But it is not clear that the DOJ has ever released private text messages to the press that are the subject of an ongoing OIG investigation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2017, 11:22 PM

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...56881908109312

Does this count as an illegal leak?
The plot thickens...
http://www.businessinsider.com/doj-i...leased-2017-12
The Justice Department's inspector general, Michael Horowitz, told the House Judiciary Committee on Friday that his office (OIG) was not consulted before private text messages that are currently under OIG investigation were shared with either Congress or members of the media on Tuesday.

"I conveyed this position to the Department as well," Horowitz said. "The Department did not consult with the OIG in order to determine whether releasing the text messages met applicable ethical and legal standards before providing them to Congress."

The DOJ "did not consult with the OIG before sharing the text messages with the press," either, Horowitz wrote on Friday.
Previous article:
Rosenstein replied: "We consulted wtih the inspector general to determine that he had no objection to releasing the material. If he had, we would not have released it."
https://twitter.com/SarahFloresDOJ/s...96614468595712
As the DAG said, after initial inquiries from Congress, the DAG consulted with the IG, and the IG determined that he had no objection to the Department providing the material to the Congressional committees that had requested it (discussion w IG was only about Congress).
Something doesn't add up here.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2017, 09:45 PM

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/st...59230647345152

Not Quite Profiles in Courage:

@SenatorCollins said she'd oppose the bill if it cut taxes for millionaires. It does

@SenBobCorker said he'd oppose it if it increases the deficit. It does.

@JeffFlake said he'd oppose the bill unless he got ironclad pledges on DACA. He didn't.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 27, 2017, 11:56 PM

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...cuser-credible
Breitbart’s editor-in-chief, Alex Marlow, admitted in an interview with CNN’s Oliver Darcy that its full-court-press in favor of Roy Moore was motivated by a desire to protect Donald Trump and that Marlow actually thought Leigh Corfman’s claims against Moore “had a lot of credibility.”
“I think that’s the playbook here,” he added. “And I think it’s part of the reason why it was so important for Breitbart to continue our coverage of the way we covered it … and for Steve in particular to hold the line the way he did for — I think part of it is because it’s not just about Judge Moore, it is not even just about establishment, anti-establishment. It’s about what’s coming next for President Trump.”
In other words, Breitbart facilitated the continued persecution of a credible childhood assault victim for purely political purposes. It subordinated fact-finding to its political agenda. It acted not as a journalist enterprise but as a partisan opposition research firm with a quasi-journalistic platform. It exploited the good name of its founder and the trust of its audience to try to drag a probable child abuser across an electoral finish line.
That's pretty ****ed up.

OreoCookie
Dec 28, 2017, 12:50 AM

I still find it amazing that this day and age people dare to say this out loud.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2017, 12:53 AM

And yet not remotely surprising.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2017, 01:03 AM

Mysterious truck blocks CNN's view of Trump's golf course in Florida
This is really, really pathetic.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I still find it amazing that this day and age people dare to say this out loud.
Which part? (Whatever the part, the answer is shamelessness)

OreoCookie
Dec 29, 2017, 01:20 AM

Yup. All fake news.
Which part? (Whatever the part, the answer is shamelessness)
You nailed it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 31, 2017, 02:06 AM

Dems: "Vote for us if you want to keep the ACA."
Public: "Ehhhhhhh"
GOP: "Vote for us if you hate the ACA."

*GOP gets elected*

GOP: "Repeal time!"
Public: "Please, no!"

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2018, 11:12 AM

Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows calling on Sessions to resign. Reads like a play to shut down the Mueller investigation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 4, 2018, 04:00 PM

Trump addressed the White House press corps through a video today, to give you an idea of how badly they want to keep him away from the press.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2018, 08:30 PM

“Mr. President, the teleprompter does not say ‘and that bitch Haberman’... take twelve.”

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2018, 11:01 PM

I didn't mention the fraudulent voter fraud commission being disbanded, but I was pretty sure this was the reason why: http://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/0...nts-to-dunlap/

But in a surprise move revealed Saturday, the Trump administration is resisting turning over the documents. On Friday evening, Dunlap’s attorneys received a letter from the Justice Department informing them that it would not be providing the records on the rationale that because the commission no longer exists, Dunlap is no longer a member of it and therefore not entitled to receive them.

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2018, 11:33 AM

why do we not have a :wtf: icon?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 01:52 PM

This is a family forum.

Reported.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2018, 01:54 PM

I’m partial to old skool.

He looks more like an emoji anyway.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2018, 05:14 PM

Down goes Bannon... again

A cautionary tale of when you vastly overestimate both your acumen and neccessity

andi*pandi
Jan 9, 2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This is a family forum.

Reported.
But, but, Alan Rickman! I could not resist.

Bannon, trying to get back into the good graces... and failing.

Thorzdad
Jan 9, 2018, 07:23 PM

There are plenty of wackos with deep pockets who will probably gladly bankroll Bannon to rise again. He’ll find another sugardaddy and be back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2018, 08:16 PM

SiriusXM also dumped him. Seems like someone is making a concerted effort to punish him.

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
There are plenty of wackos with deep pockets who will probably gladly bankroll Bannon to rise again. He’ll find another sugardaddy and be back.
Not during this administration. He gave the left a great soundbite calling the Trump Tower meeting treasonous.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2018, 10:02 PM

https://twitter.com/AP/status/950874892592918528
BREAKING: Trump administration says it won't allow oil drilling off the coast of Florida, bowing to pressure from governor.
I'm sure they'll follow this by bowing to pressure from Dem governors in blue states, right? Otherwise this would just look partisan.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 10, 2018, 12:16 AM

Someone should point out to Trump that the coal industry is on it's last legs trying to compete with wind, solar, and cheap natural gas. If more oil drilling is opened up, it could cost us the last few hundred coal mining jobs in the country.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 12:25 AM

I didn't mention the fraudulent voter fraud commission being disbanded, but I was pretty sure this was the reason why: http://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/0...nts-to-dunlap/
The plot thickens...
https://www.politico.com/blogs/under...er-data-332745
Herndon also indicated that White House press secretary Sarah Sanders' comment last week that the commission's "preliminary findings" were being sent to DHS was inaccurate.

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.
"The Commission did not create any preliminary findings," Herndon wrote.

Earlier Tuesday, lawyers for one of the former commission's members, Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap, asked U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly to halt any effort to move or copy the voter data to another federal agency.

"The state voter data will not be transferred to, or accessed by, DHS or any other agency, except to the National Archives and Records Administration ('NARA'), pursuant to federal law, if the records are not otherwise destroyed," Herndon wrote. "Pending resolution of outstanding litigation involving the Commission, and pending consultation with NARA, the White House intends to destroy all state voter data."
Can't get their stories straight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 12:27 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 12, 2018, 05:32 PM

Someone pointed out the Trump book was Monday. Feels like two weeks ago

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2018, 12:04 AM

https://www.abqjournal.com/1117026/g...to-police.html
A years-old debate over use of force by police could resurface in the coming 30-day legislative session, as Gov. Susana Martinez plans to push legislation that would grant legal immunity to New Mexico law enforcement officers for actions in the line of duty.
Sounds reasonable.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/...dose-antidote/
Gov. Paul LePage, serving his last year in office, has withheld his approval of rules for the naloxone program that were sent to his office in August by the Maine Board of Pharmacy. The Legislature passed a bill with overwhelming bipartisan support in 2017 to allow over-the-counter sales of the opioid overdose antidote, at a time when heroin, fentanyl and prescription painkillers are killing Mainers at the rate of one a day.
Also reasonable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 17, 2018, 01:01 AM

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...trality-rules/
That's every US state with a Democratic attorney general. Republican state attorneys general did not join the petition.
..and not a single GOP vote will be lost.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2018, 08:58 PM

And the early contender for worst person of 2018 goes to...
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...re/1036514001/

Gov. Matt Bevin has issued an executive order that would strip Medicaid coverage from nearly half a million Kentuckians should his proposed overhaul of the federal-state health plan be struck down in court.
"Gov. Bevin has consistently said ... that these are the terms under which Kentucky will maintain expanded Medicaid," Maglinger said. "Accordingly, he has signed an executive order to terminate Kentucky’s Medicaid expansion in the event that a court decision prohibits one or more of the components of the Section 1115 waiver from being implemented."

Thorzdad
Jan 18, 2018, 10:46 PM

How does a person justify holding the health of thousands of innocent people hostage like that? He’s pretty much saying “Give me what I want, or people will die.” I really don’t understand such rigid, unwavering fealty to political dogma.

andi*pandi
Jan 19, 2018, 11:50 AM

He is probably sure that those who will be effected aren't his voters.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2018, 12:15 PM

He'd be wrong. AAs don't make up a big chunk of Kentuckys pop. He's punishing poor whites.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2018, 09:33 PM

The plot thickens...
https://www.politico.com/blogs/under...er-data-332745

Can't get their stories straight.
Part III
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...mmission-panel
A federal judge didn’t buy the Justice Department’s argument that Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach couldn’t speak to what was being done with the data collected by the now-defunct voter fraud commission he led. The judge ordered that Kobach or another commission member file a declaration giving a full explanation.
“Federal Defendants should not be able to avoid making statements regarding the Commission simply because the Commission was terminated—and terminated specifically as a result of pending lawsuits.”

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2018, 12:56 AM

… .
( Last edited by el chupacabra; Jan 5, 2024 at 01:16 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules