Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Maintenance Loops with Cat5e - How Much?

Maintenance Loops with Cat5e - How Much?
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2018, 06:46 PM

I just ran Cat5e through my attic to directly feed my wife’s (soon to be here) work setup.

I HATE messing around in the attic, because a) it’s never “a good temperature”, b) our roof structure is complex with truss-like angled beams and crap all over the place, c) the AC is in the attic AND right in the way of getting just about anywhere without climbing over it.

So obviously I don’t want to have to redo anything up there. That leaves me with a bunch of cable hanging out of the wall in both the room with the router and in my wife’s home office.

How much should I coil up and stuff in the wall behind the wall plate? Is a meter enough? Too much? I can’t find anything solid in searching, but my keyword skills dehydrated while I was up in the attic so my Google-fu is feeling pretty weak right now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 28, 2018, 07:51 PM

I wound up keeping all the cable at both ends. There is a butt-load of extra cable to play with, but it's coiled in such a way that it's available if needed.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules