Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > [iOS Dev]: Can a web browser open an app?

[iOS Dev]: Can a web browser open an app?
-Q-
Dec 19, 2011, 03:56 PM

As the subject says, I'm wondering if a web page (probably via mobile safari in 90% of the cases) can have a link that will open an app on the users phone? Our iPhone dev is on vacation this week and I'm working up specs for a project but I can't seem to get the Google Fu to provide a clear answer.

andi*pandi
Dec 19, 2011, 03:59 PM

it works for apple: itunes.apple.com on safari on an ipad opens the itunes app. However, would apple let others do it... is it a security problem?

-Q-  (op)
Dec 19, 2011, 04:13 PM

That's what I'm thinking. Passing code outside the app "sandbox" is a probable security hole. But thought I'd see if I could get 100% denial so we can head down a different path.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
As the subject says, I'm wondering if a web page (probably via mobile safari in 90% of the cases) can have a link that will open an app on the users phone? Our iPhone dev is on vacation this week and I'm working up specs for a project but I can't seem to get the Google Fu to provide a clear answer.
Yep. Mobile Safari can launch applications via URL Schemes. IPhone URL Schemes - akosma wiki This does not mean you can launch any generic app by it's identifier, but you can launch your own by registering it's URL scheme.

-Q-  (op)
Dec 19, 2011, 11:03 PM

Ah, great info! Thanks King Bob!

Forum Links
Forum Rules