Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Journal/Diary software

Journal/Diary software
raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2002, 07:55 PM

You folks know of any good diary/personal-journal software? I tried MacJournal, but not too impressed. Thanks
- Ravi

dtriska
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 09:34 PM

I suggest you try these two searches at VersionTracker: diary and journal.

raviruddarraju  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2002, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by dtriska:
I suggest you try these two searches at VersionTracker: diary and journal.

This stuff is not very impressive. I was thinking there was something in the world of OS 9, I've never used OS 9. Isn't there anything like a book authoring software? Writers across the world use Macs, there's got to be one.
- Ravi

siriusblack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 12:28 AM

Hi,

I used a freeware called "MacJournal". I think it is pretty good and suit my needs.

http://homepage.mac.com/dschimpf/

Sirius

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2002, 12:47 AM

You could always just start your own blog.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by raviruddarraju:
You folks know of any good diary/personal-journal software? I tried MacJournal, but not too impressed.
What features are you looking for, exactly? And what do you mean by "book authoring software"? Do you want to blog, or keep a personal journal, or put together a book, or what?

raviruddarraju  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2002, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by lookmark:

What features are you looking for, exactly? And what do you mean by "book authoring software"? Do you want to blog, or keep a personal journal, or put together a book, or what?

I had putting together a book in my mind. I thought Journaling softwares kind of do that. I am sorry if I am not clear. But, yeah, I had something that can put together a book in my mind.
- Ravi

torifile
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by siriusblack:
Hi,

I used a freeware called "MacJournal". I think it is pretty good and suit my needs.

http://homepage.mac.com/dschimpf/

Sirius
I agree with this suggestion, but he said in the first post that he's tried it and doesn't like it.

hellohello1
Dec 16, 2002, 03:36 AM

MacJournal is my favorite 3rd-party software for X. it make journaling so much less of a hassle--timestamps it and everything. allows for multiple journals. etc, etc.....

can't imagine what you don't like about it. If making a book is something you want to do, you can always export the entries into one file. it also allows for "live-journaling"--though i haven't tried it.

-matt

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2002, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by hellohello1:
MacJournal is my favorite 3rd-party software for X. it make journaling so much less of a hassle--timestamps it and everything. allows for multiple journals. etc, etc.....

can't imagine what you don't like about it. If making a book is something you want to do, you can always export the entries into one file. it also allows for "live-journaling"--though i haven't tried it.

-matt
I also think MacJournal is one of the best shareware apps you can get - no, hang on - it's Freeware !

I hope Dan will release a new version sometime soon - although I admit that I can't think of any features that MacJournal really needs.

hellohello1
Dec 16, 2002, 05:28 AM

he released a new beta last week

though, i would stick with the old version, if you have it. the latest build has a bug (feature?) in it. when you make a new entry, you don't automatically go to it. you stay in the old one for some reason.

i like being able to just make a new one and start typing....

oh, and this app is the best looking cocoa app i've seen

-matt

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2002, 09:50 AM

How about Movable Type

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by raviruddarraju:
I had putting together a book in my mind. I thought Journaling softwares kind of do that. I am sorry if I am not clear. But, yeah, I had something that can put together a book in my mind.
I'm still not sure exactly what "a book in your mind" means, but...

MacJournal is a nice specialized app for journaling -- time-stamping, multiple entries, built-in encryption (if you like that kind of thing). What don't you like about it?

On the other hand if you're looking for a more conceptual tool to brainstorm, there's Tinderbox by Eastgate Systems, and a new Cocoa app that just came out -- I don't recall the name.

If you actually want to put together a book, MS Word or any of its competitors (ThinkFree Office, AppleWorks, the upcoming Nisus Writer) are good for managing long texts. Quark or InDesign is you need to actually produce a book.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2002, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure I understand.

If you're writing a diary, then I'd suggest starting a blog. Perhaps sign up with LiveJournal, and then use iJournal to post the entries.

If you're writing a novel, then it sounds as though what you need is an outliner (for getting ideas down) and then a word processor to get the manuscript out. Any text editor will fork for writing manuscripts, but for outlines, I recommend the Omni Group's excellent OmniOutliner. I use it for my own writing projects (and before that, I used it for class notes), and it's great stuff. Payware, yes, but worth every penny and more.
( Last edited by Millennium; Dec 17, 2002 at 11:02 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:

I also think MacJournal is one of the best shareware apps you can get - no, hang on - it's Freeware !

I hope Dan will release a new version sometime soon - although I admit that I can't think of any features that MacJournal really needs.
Wow! MacJournal is really a good cocoa app. Do I hear a "iMacJournal" in future OS X versions?

Anyway, I have start using it for personal diary and notes.
I am hooked.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Jeff Jones
Location: In a galaxy far, far away -- well, Germany, to be honest
Dec 17, 2002, 11:05 AM

On Mac OS 9 I used Nisus Writer for almost every task for which I had to put letters on "paper". With the OS X Version of Nisus not too far away, I think you should consider this. It's not specifically designed for journals, but once you are accustomed to the app, it's very easy. Apart from that, it's nice to have one app for various tasks, whether you are writing a letter, a diary, a dissertation, a paper or a book. The big advantage is that after a while you will know the app inside-out.

JJ.

Forum Links
Forum Rules