Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Panthers New Theme!! Screenies!!

Panthers New Theme!! Screenies!! (Page 2)
quandarry
Jun 22, 2003, 07:44 AM

panther theme i threw together from the screenshots...everything you need included.
don't forget to reinstall aqua first unless you are using some version of aqua like max's then you don't have too...ok well you don't really have to if'n you don't want anyways...

Download_Panther_theme

yes it has lines, but very faint...you have to look hard to see them...

ps...i should have my hands on the panther developer disk(s) early in the week (from friend) so i'll have a chance to do it up right...

EDIT:
gave the menu background a slight tranparency and made the divider lines a bit lighter...
the download has been made much smaller and the read me has had this added...

WARNING: DO NOT USE METAMORPHX FOR CHANGING THEMES-----USE ONLY TO CHANGE EXTRAS RESOURCES!!!!

PS...USE AT OWN RISK!

i use it all the time...at least 20 times a day to switch extras rsrcs and never had a problem in jaguar up to 10.2.4 to 10.2 6.
( Last edited by quandarry; Jun 22, 2003 at 06:18 PM. )

neo_2510
Jun 22, 2003, 09:07 AM

Thanks, this looks perfect and I do like the seperators in all the menues

Thx :-D

york28
Senior User
Jun 22, 2003, 09:53 AM

Let's hope it's not real. Why the heck would they use the smart playlist icon from iTunes for an all-purpose menu in the finder? Geez.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
Download_Panther_theme
That's a nice recreation in such short time, but one nuisance: your menus are opaque; they should be transparent.
( Last edited by starfleetX; Jun 22, 2003 at 12:33 PM. )
The server made a boo boo. (403)

zazou  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
That's a nice recreation in such short time, but one nuisance: your menus are opaque; they should be transparent.
Actually, accroding to the grabs the menus ARE opaque.

Z

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Looks like $hit to me so far.

In this image:
[---]
Shouldn't CPU, System Memory etc be tabs Plus does OS X really need or presently have such an Activity Monitor? Seems Windows-y to me *cough*Task Manager *cough* "Quit Process"? Guess "Force Quit" is gone. Why is there a process with no name?
There is an activity viewer (Process Viewer)...but if this new one is true, it greatly improves on the current one (go look...).

About "Quit Process"...in Process Viewer, when you select Quit Process it gives you two choices: Quit or Force Quit. It's probably the same here.

And if you look closely at another of the screenshots, the iTunes button displays the stop icon...shouldn't it display pause??? And why is the Finder icon in the dock different from the dock in the About Finder Box?
If you start playing a song in a playlist and switch to another, it displays the Stop icon. Or they could be listening to radio.

As for the Finder icon...could be a mod. I dunno.

Maybe its some Windows User that is playing a trick on us [/B]
They won't be lauging when those G5's come out.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 22, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Here is what I think is wrong with it.

That and the iChat video screen that has a video icon in the XP style amongst Aqua icons and a wierd bar of some kind that also looks like it was ripped straight out of XP.
I must take objection to the "duplication of a contextual menu" objection. It's against the HIG to have functions available only in a contextual menu. In fact, you're not supposed to ever have any function in a contextual menu that's not available elsewhere. (There are reasons for that, but I don't feel like typing a whole diatribe on that at the moment.)

As for the button highlighting... it's consistent with existing button-that-turns-into-a-menu-when-you-hold-it-down controls.

tooki

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 02:02 PM

It's still ugly blecchh.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Looks like $hit to me so far.

In this image:

Shouldn't CPU, System Memory etc be tabs Plus does OS X really need or presently have such an Activity Monitor? Seems Windows-y to me *cough*Task Manager *cough* "Quit Process"? Guess "Force Quit" is gone. Why is there a process with no name?

And if you look closely at another of the screenshots, the iTunes button displays the stop icon...shouldn't it display pause??? And why is the Finder icon in the dock different from the dock in the About Finder Box?

Maybe its some Windows User that is playing a trick on us
It has it already. Process Viewer. Life Saver for killing UNIX apps that don't like to show up in top. Activity Viewer just seems to be a GUI on a couple UNIX commands if you ask me. If your playing over a network or a stream iTunes displays Stop not Pause.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I must take objection to the "duplication of a contextual menu" objection. It's against the HIG to have functions available only in a contextual menu. In fact, you're not supposed to ever have any function in a contextual menu that's not available elsewhere. (There are reasons for that, but I don't feel like typing a whole diatribe on that at the moment.)

As for the button highlighting... it's consistent with existing button-that-turns-into-a-menu-when-you-hold-it-down controls.

tooki
I'm confused by that screenie. Where is the menu comming from? At first glance it appears to be comming from the gear button. But I think it's really comming from the icon, cause the icon text is highlighted, and the menu has the folders name in it. Maybe the gear is a different view style for the finder, in an active state.

Chris

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 02:39 PM

panther theme i threw together from the screenshots...everything you need included.
don't forget to reinstall aqua first unless you are using some version of aqua like max's then you don't have too...ok well you don't really have to if'n you don't want anyways...

Download_Panther_theme

ps...i should have my hands on the panther developer disk(s) early in the week (from friend) so i'll have a chance to do it up right...
Admitedly I requested this (and this is not criticism of your theme) but I have the following feelings:

1. I like the way brushed metal and aqua windows don't look worlds apart anymore.

2. I dislike the way it looks crap Sorry, but it looks as if someone was under pressure to be two appearances - which in a way they are I suppose.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jun 22, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
Actually, accroding to the grabs the menus ARE opaque.

Z
Actually if you look closely the menus are still transparent.
Who'sDaMac?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Actually if you look closely the menus are still transparent.
correct.

I can see the Applications folder and selected System Folder (Mac OS 9) behind the menu in the labels picture.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 05:19 PM

The back button is funny... I wonder what that's all about?
click one

quandarry
Jun 22, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:
done....

as for those persons who think the original panther (if what the screenies show is the final gui look) looks like crap that's why peeps make themes...

to be brutally honest i love it...i really love it...give me metal...give me "panther"...give me your first born...give me lotsa free sex (females only please)...and in the words of "hi i'm ben"...give me money!

havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2003, 06:43 PM

same linky?

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 22, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
That's a bad reason to switch.. Just apply a theme.
No kidding, how an OS looks is hardly a reason to use it. I know Dace, its your opinon and who am I to say how you should make your decisions, but really, chosing PC over Mac due to a GUI which you are well aware of how to manipulate is really weak. If you really are thinking of switching there must be more substantial reasons that this.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 07:22 PM

You people are harsh critiques for something that may not even be the real deal (even though I think it is).

It looks fresh and interesting to me... maybe a la windows, but it is for the better of the mac system so who cares.

Apple can do whatever it likes with its own HIG specs. It is so strange how people call out Apple on changing their own guidelines.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I'm confused by that screenie. Where is the menu comming from? At first glance it appears to be comming from the gear button. But I think it's really comming from the icon, cause the icon text is highlighted, and the menu has the folders name in it. Maybe the gear is a different view style for the finder, in an active state.
You know, I think you're right. Looking at it again, that may just be the contextual menu for the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder.

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 07:45 PM

nice theme! i really like those menu-divider-lines, is it possible to get them in other themes too? for example in my favorite smoothstripes squared?

quandarry
Jun 22, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by p.h..i...l....:
nice theme! i really like those menu-divider-lines, is it possible to get them in other themes too? for example in my favorite smoothstripes squared?
well...you can ask the original author or you take the panther rsrc and use that as your base rsrc in "theme fur" and place the theme extras rsrc you want change and drag that to "Your Extras Resource" window and bingo bango boingo...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
You know, I think you're right. Looking at it again, that may just be the contextual menu for the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder.
That'd be against the HIG again.
Contextual menus open to the bottom left with the top right corner where the click was. It would be too confusing to user if their contextual menu seemed to come out of a different place than they clicked.

Mike S.
Senior User
Jun 22, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
One would assume all functionality of the context menu is being duplicated from functions available in the menu bar, as is standard. Having a Finder button that brings up another duplicate menu seems redundant.

As for the button highlighting... it's consistent with existing button-that-turns-into-a-menu-when-you-hold-it-down controls.[/B]
Can you please point me to an application that has an example of such a button? A button itself should not spawn a menu, a drop box does but then the drop boxes I've seen never take on the appearance of a button.

Nevermind, I stand corrected. Apple's HI Guidelines have a Pop Up Bevel Button entry that highlights and drops as shown.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 03:40 PM

Download_Panther_theme

EDIT:
gave the menu background a slight tranparency and made the divider lines a bit lighter...
the download has been made much smaller and the read me has had this added...

WARNING: DO NOT USE METAMORPHX FOR CHANGING THEMES-----USE ONLY TO CHANGE EXTRAS RESOURCES!!!!

PS...USE AT OWN RISK!

i use it all the time...at least 20 times a day to switch extras rsrcs and never had a problem in jaguar up to 10.2.4 to 10.2 6.

I just tried out the theme and it is pretty fantastic considering how little time you had to whip it up. The separators between menu items are really nice and helpful. Its weird looking at the buttons and scrolls though, coming from Max's themes...

The new subtle stripes was a good move, imo. They aren't as distracting, but they fell less barren than with just a white background.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 23, 2003, 09:46 PM

That dark titlebar looks like SimpleAqua Dark. I would get rid of the stripes. I might be getting a Panther Dev CD soon and I will see what I can do. I al ready have most of it done, hoping it's not too different from Jaguar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules