Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best 3rd party 2-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel...?

Best 3rd party 2-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel...?
mauimac
Aug 16, 2003, 05:29 PM

Hi, I wanted to start a discussion in order to decide which is the best (most functionality, comfort, style, etc) USB, 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel. I am using a KVMP switch so I believe wireless won't work in my situation, but perhaps we could examine both cordless & "corded."
Does anyone know if the Wacom Intuous 4D mosue can be configured to act like a 2-button mouse and set up the scroll wheel for internet and application scrolling?
Also, if there was a good keyboard/mouse combo I'd go for that too. Along with the KVMP I've got an ethernet network going to connect an iBook, Powermac 8600 and (sorry) Dell PC, so it would be great to be able to use 1 mouse & 1 Keyboard for everything. If it doesn't work in OS 9, so be it...I can boot into 9 on my G4 but I'm trying to stay in 10.2 as much as possible.
Maybe we could discuss Logitech vs Macally as well.

Any advice -as always- is greatly appreciated!

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 06:28 PM

Rather than start a thread, you might just join last week's thread on this.

Net-net of my research on the recommendations there:

Logitech MX500

Or if you dislike the USB cable, the wireless equivalent MX700.

For portability (if using with a laptop), if the MX500 is too big, then the Kensington PocketMouse Pro with retractable USB cord would seem to be the best option.

The only other consideration might be MS's bluetooth mouse, but dealing with the batteries is a big negative.

The Wacom mouse would seem to be a good solution on the desktop (esp. if you'd like a tablet also), but the comments were very negative. And it does feel pretty clunky through the packaging at the store. Its definitely nowhere near the ergonomic masterpiece that the MX500/700 is.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 06:31 PM

Oh, and Staples (at least in my area) is running a good discount PLUS additional rebate on the MX500... ends today, though.
Net = $29.94.

mauimac  (op)
Aug 16, 2003, 06:50 PM

oops, sorry! That didn't come up in my search, I guess I was too specific regarding the scroll & button and such...anyway thanks for the advice!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 07:13 PM

No contest. MX700.

azarel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2003, 10:35 PM

My vote goes to macally icekey and icemouse...Can't get my hands off it since i got them 2 weeks ago!!! Can't comment on mx500 cos I've never had it but logitech mouse are quality stuff...

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2003, 04:05 PM

I've been looking for the perfect mouse for a while, one which has all the functionality of a two-button-plus-scrollwheel mouse, but the quality and comfort and, well, sexiness, of the Apple mice.

And unfortunately, it's made by Microsoft
It's their "special edition" optical mouse: two buttons, scrollwheel, and scrollwheel button, with a sleek black-and-silver design and a nice fat clear scrollwheel. I guess it's just their regular mouse, but the color scheme is the special edition. But for me that made all the difference. It actually looks respectable next to all my beautiful Apple hardware.

At first I thought the scroll wheel was too loose, and I had to tinker with the sensitivity of it in the Intellipoint software, but now I'm used to it. It also has an insanely long cord, so I plugged it into the back of my Mac, freeing up my keyboard USB port for quick plugging in of peripherals.

So far I've had no desire to look elsewhere for more functions, and no lust to return to the Apple Pro Mouse.

Just my .02

Forum Links
Forum Rules