Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Continuously fan / harddisk spin on 15� alu PowerBook

Continuously fan / harddisk spin on 15� alu PowerBook
tonz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 03:57 PM

My powerbook fan is always continuously �On� from the time its start up. The fan sound is coming from below the trackpad. After seeing kodawarisan website disassembled 15� alu, I do believe it�s the sound of my harddisk spinning as the 2 fans / blower are in the back (left & right of the screen hinge). Is this normal? It sounds like a silent smooth fan and I could really hear it in silent environments (bedroom / lecture class). I tried the option for enabling the harddisk to sleep in enery saver preference but it doesnt help, the sound never stop. Btw I have the Hitachi 5200rpm harddisk. Thanks

Ph.D.
Nov 7, 2003, 10:23 PM

Realistically, the hard drive in a PB runing os-X will stay on nearly all the time if you are doing general stuff. I'm not sure mine has ever turned off. Check your energy saver control panel to make sure the spin-down hard drive checkbox is checked, though. Also, if you by chance ran that infernal Office-X demo, then delete it, as it writes to the hard drive once per second.

Cheers.

iohead
Nov 8, 2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by tonz:
Btw I have the Hitachi 5200rpm harddisk. Thanks
I think it's your hard disk. Sounds normal. Do you mean the 4200 or the 5400 Hitachi?

-A

tonz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 11:15 PM

its the Hitachi 5400rpm . Does anyone else with this configuration having the same smooth fan sound from spinning harddisk? i mean its not that anoying, but could be better if the powerbook suppose to be completely silent

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 04:18 PM

I've also noticed that the drive does not ever seem to spin down on my new 15", where as it would spin down after 5-10 minutes on my TiBooks. I'm sure none of my applications are continually accessing disk (but not sure about Panther.)

Not a huge deal since the AlBook drive is *so* much quieter than the TiBooks' but still slightly irritating.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2003, 09:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tonz:
its the Hitachi 5400rpm . Does anyone else with this configuration having the same smooth fan sound from spinning harddisk? i mean its not that anoying, but could be better if the powerbook suppose to be completely silent [/QUOTE

Same whisper spinning sound with Futjitsu 4200 RPM on my PB 17" 1.33. Complete silence would indeed be nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules