Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard drive going bad..whirring & clicking can't be good!

Hard drive going bad..whirring & clicking can't be good!
mauimac
Jul 16, 2004, 03:27 PM

hey everyone, I am hoping someone can help me with this situation...I have the late-2001 white iBook (600 Mhz) which I use for educational presentations. The other night it started making a whirring clicking noise from about where the hard drive would be, but I was able to continue working for a bit, then the spinning color disk from OSX turned up and put a pause a to my work..it would then stop and I could continue. Finally it wouldn't stop and I had to force it to shut down. When I went to restart I got the flashing question mark, so I figured it was about system software. Later I tried to boot up a few different times..the first time it actually booted and everything seemed OK for a few minutes, then the whirring/clicking/spinning disk started and hung it up....other times I get the flashing question mark, other times I get through half of the startup blue initialization screen then the whirring spinning disk started and hung it up, one time I got a frightful icon showing a torn folder and hard drive picture, most often it's the flashing question mark..anyway it's a problem. Is it a lost cause? The only data on there that is valuable is a bunch of photos I uploaded to iPhoto just before this started..I would like to save those, everything else is on the main G4 at the office. Will it be possible to recover the photos somehow without spending a fortune? Is it causing more damage for me to keep trying to boot up hoping it will be the time it works?
Also, since I have to replace the drive, are there any suggestions for better ones that could work in that iBook?
Thanks for your help!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 03:43 PM

Try using it in Firewire target disk mode with another Mac.

mauimac  (op)
Jul 16, 2004, 03:54 PM

thanks! that's new to me though, how do I use Firewire target disk mode?

mauimac  (op)
Jul 16, 2004, 06:59 PM

Update-I found out how to use the firewire disk mode (OS X Missing Manual) and was able to transfer bunches of photos until the whirring/clicking started up (usually less than a minute after each startup) until I recovered all the images. thanks again wataru!!
Now, I am wondering what hard drive would be best to go with for this model iBook (G3, late-2001, 600 MHz)? Any suggestions? I got a quote from CDW for a HITACHI 30GB 5400RPM, HHD-14R8825 model for $99...what else is out there?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 10:57 PM

As far as I know there actually aren't that many different kinds of 2.5" drives available (that's the only size that fits in the iBooks). The one you mentioned seems kind of expensive; I'd keep my eye out for deals at http://www.dealmac.com and aim for a larger drive.

Keep in mind, though, that hard drives are very difficult to replace in iBooks. I don't know if your model is different, but you can read many testimonials of just how hard it is here in this forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules