Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > syquest and zip disks, how to get to 'em?

syquest and zip disks, how to get to 'em?
zl9600
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 05:05 PM

i have a stack of syquest and zip disks with data that i need on both of these disks. i have the scsi drivers for both of these, but i have only a pbg4. i have an old powermac in the basement somewhere, but short of exhuming it from it's grave and attempting to reload os9 on it, i wondered if anyone has any bright ideas on how i might get some of the data off of it using some kind of an adapter.

i tried scsi-bee a year or two ago and just got kernel panics.

tips and tricks would be met with smiles and gratitude.

thanks!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2005, 05:19 PM

do you just need a mac running OS9? someone you know should be. if not, sorry, that just came off the top of my head. good luck

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 05:29 PM

i don't know anyone running it who has scsi connections and i'd be afraid to play with their machines using the scs-bee driver or something similar. i was looking at adaptech's pci/bus card that goes from usb to scsi, but i think it's only for peripheral devices like scanners and not storage devices like a syquest drive or a zip drive. thanks for the reply though.
missing.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2005, 08:06 PM

This is far from a great solution but it will work. Check out the marketplace forum here and buy a usb based zip drive. I have seen them go for very cheap. I have seen some internal ones sold at used pc stores for $10 and if you have a case or ide adapter cable that would work as well. I know its annoying to buy a legacy drive for one use but $10 is worth an hour of hassles dealing with OS 9.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

zl9600  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2005, 11:49 AM

wonder if i'd be able to daisy-chain the syquest drive onto it if i used an ide adapter cable?
missing.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2005, 12:42 PM

for the zip disks go to best buy or something that has a 30 day return period. Buy a zip drive, transfer the data you need then return the drive.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 2, 2005, 12:57 PM

Or just buy a used one for $30 or something, instead of unethically renting the drive from a retailer.

I'd just resurrect the old Mac and copy them to CD or something.

tooki

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2005, 11:55 AM

If you don't mind spending some cash, take them to a print shop and they'll transfer the data to CD for you.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

blikum
Sep 3, 2005, 01:25 PM

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by blikum
My old ORB drive came with one. You can probably get it for next to nothing through ebay.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 07:14 PM

buy a usb based zip drive
Originally Posted by zl9600
wonder if i'd be able to daisy-chain the syquest drive onto it if i used an ide adapter cable?
Nope.

There are no IDE Mac-compatible SyQuests, those mechanisms are SCSI. Do you know anyone with a beige G3 machine? That would do the trick. You'll also have to identify whether these are SyQuest 5.25" 44, 88, 200 Mb, 3.5" 105, EZFlyer 120 or 230. The Zips similarly could be 100 MB or 250 Mb.

If all else fails you can ship them to me and I can transfer them to CDs, there would be a couple of hours of labor cost however.
( Last edited by CanadaRAM; Sep 4, 2005 at 07:21 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules