Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Unorthodox Airtunes setups?

Unorthodox Airtunes setups?
Gametes
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 02:03 AM

So, anybody got anything unusual going on they can help me learn from? I'm trying to build from scratch a stereo system and it seems that my inexperience coupled with what seems to me to be pretty obtuse design guidelines has left me pretty befuddled. Here's what I'd like to do:

I have airtunes.
I already picked out the speakers I want to buy. They are JUST speakers; JA-C5E in-ceiling speakers. I assume they connect by speaker wire to an amplifier. Now, these are 100W speakers each, so I have been looking for 100W x 2 amplifiers. Mind you, learning up to this point took me a few hours.
So, my question is, will These speakers work with This amplifier, and will this, or any amplifier be compatible with the headphone out from an airport express. Also, what wiring is necessary to make this work.

I don't understand how a full system with a subwoofer can cost 80 bucks, but building my own, through great PIA, seems to be either impossible or more expensive. What am I missing here?

thanks guys!
you are not your signature

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 02:52 PM

is this for a home, a bedroom...or a car?

not sure about the choices you are making.
imho, you should go to a stereo store (or something), and buy a decent system you can audition first. be sure it has (stereo) aux input!

then hook up a stereo miniplug-to-2 rcas (airport express into the stereo).

of course, someone else might have other advice...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules