Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.6 Released

10.4.6 Released (Page 4)
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 08:21 AM

It looks like it stages an updated libSystem into /System and moves it over to /usr/lib on reboot. I don't know why that's necessary, though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 08:22 AM

How about resetting the PMU and re-calibrating the battery?

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
How about resetting the PMU and re-calibrating the battery?
How is this done? Also, when charging, I get the right amount of time left to fully charge so its only the discharging thats not being correctly reported.

-a

Ilgaz
Apr 5, 2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
Since installing this update, my phone won't sync with iSync anymore (says sync failed), Azureus won't start-up anymore. Does anyone know how to resolve these two problems?
You didn't tell what phone doesn't sync but I haxored your house and it is SE K700 yes?

Besides jokes, there is a known bug in iSync 2.2 with K700, Apple guys says fix OTW.

Azerous? Well, get a "free developer account" from Apple developer connection and download/install Java 5 build 6 (or later if available)

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 12:47 PM

I put the 10.4.6 on the DA.

I can use the Pioneer 110 as apple supported/shipped. So it's not all bad
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 05:57 PM

I tried a suggestion to reset the PMU to solve my battery and shutdown issues but unfortunately, it did not work.

After resetting it, I let it run on battery with a movie playing. It died after about 35 minutes. I was actually able to restart it without plugging it back in. 3 LEDs light up when pressing the button on the battery. Once it was restarted (still on battery power) it estimated about 1:13 left on the battery. As I was typing a message here it died again. This was after running about 3 minutes. After plugging it back in it estimates the battery will be full in 27 minutes. This jives with the LEDs.

RiDDLeRIZE
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 06:00 PM

Hey guys, I have a 1.6 G5 and I just updated to 10.4.6 and I don't have sound on my computer anymore. Has anyone else have this problem? I'm afraid to update my Tibook because I don't want to lose sound on it too. Let me know if anyone has this problem.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 07:36 PM

I'm experiencing a strange problem since upgrading to OS X 10.4.6. I use MS Remote Desktop 1.0.3 on a daily basis. Generally, it works fine and gives me no trouble whatsoever. However, since the OS upgrade I've found that if I COPY/CUT IN MS Remote Desktop I can no longer PASTE in OS X. At all. Via keystrokes or menu items. The only way to restore functionality is to log out and log back in. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

OAW

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 01:18 AM

ISit
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 01:20 AM

Is it jus me, or does the graphite scheme for the OS look different, there seems to be a tiny gradient in the menu shading, and it now correctly shades he finder and sidebar (which always used to stay blue to me even in graphite theme.) and the apple looks slightly different too. same theme i guess just a few improvments.
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Ilgaz
Apr 6, 2006, 07:14 AM

Run "Audio MIDI setup" in Applications/Utilities, check "default sound output" and other stuff.

Ilgaz
Apr 6, 2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by RiDDLeRIZE
Hey guys, I have a 1.6 G5 and I just updated to 10.4.6 and I don't have sound on my computer anymore. Has anyone else have this problem? I'm afraid to update my Tibook because I don't want to lose sound on it too. Let me know if anyone has this problem.
Run "Audio MIDI setup" in Applications/Utilities, check "default sound output" and other stuff.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 07:56 AM

I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 for new isync capabilities. So far, no complaints.

Dnet OGR runs a bit faster. No other glitches.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 08:00 PM

I am glad that I can now hide QuarkXpress. Also, my 30 inch display no longer goes black intermittantly after waking from sleep. These were big for me.

aehaas

Madrag
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 02:04 PM

updated 10.4.2, and now my DP G5 2.0 fan's are spinning very often ;(
in 10.4.2 these hardly spinned...
anyone knows of a fix for this issue?

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Madrag
updated 10.4.2, and now my DP G5 2.0 fan's are spinning very often ;(
in 10.4.2 these hardly spinned...
anyone knows of a fix for this issue?
yes, set your energy saver to HIGH.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

RiDDLeRIZE
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2006, 06:40 PM

Fixed audio problem.... after updating to 10.4.6.... it did a double reboot on my 1.6 G5....then there was no sound... i just had to shut the computer down completely and turn it back on. Then the sound worked again.

zootdaze
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Download from the usual places.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303411

Just a heads up, I installed it on the current gen Dual 2GHz G5. After the install when the computer restarted it went to the usual gray spinning round thing, then just before it went to the progress bar screen it rebooted on its own and repeated the procedure. After that the computer booted normally.

Either this was a fluke or a new feature.

Your disk directory is in need of repair. Disk Warrior may fix it, but usually if it gets this bad I find it's necessary to back up, erase, and reload.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 12:27 PM

HELP!

First bad update!

I ran it through Software Update as I always have (PB 15 DL) all these years since 10-fragin;-1 (never ever cleared a disk to install and update), and got the red icon with the "Did not update" message. Well, restart: double chime, and... About this Mac still shows 10.4.5... downloaded the combo updater--- no disk shows up to update! d'oh!

What to do? Shall I start a new thread? It's buried here

Other weird symptoms; Mail "New" toolbar icon gone, Disk Utility says something to the effect that the background application required can't be found, can't run...

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 01:19 PM

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by zootdaze
Your disk directory is in need of repair. Disk Warrior may fix it, but usually if it gets this bad I find it's necessary to back up, erase, and reload.
There is nothing wrong with the disk. This update reboots twice.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by iomatic
HELP!

First bad update!

I ran it through Software Update as I always have (PB 15 DL) all these years since 10-fragin;-1 (never ever cleared a disk to install and update), and got the red icon with the "Did not update" message. Well, restart: double chime, and... About this Mac still shows 10.4.5... downloaded the combo updater--- no disk shows up to update! d'oh!

What to do? Shall I start a new thread? It's buried here

Other weird symptoms; Mail "New" toolbar icon gone, Disk Utility says something to the effect that the background application required can't be found, can't run...
First try again to reinstall 10.4.6.

Open the finder. Go to

Computer Name>Library>Receipts

Delete your 10.4.6 receipt.

Then, reinstall the combo update.

XMENVZL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Bug fixes are very important to the people affected by the bugs.
Ah, but how do you know when it's a feature and not a bug ? I'd hate to lose a feature due to a misunderstanding.. That's why I made the switch
I switched :-)

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2006, 04:25 PM

Software Update hangs. Progress bar... nothing.
There's no 10.4.6 Receipt .pkg.

Originally Posted by kcmac
First try again to reinstall 10.4.6.

Open the finder. Go to

Computer Name>Library>Receipts

Delete your 10.4.6 receipt.

Then, reinstall the combo update.

Madrag
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 09:49 AM

Software Update hangs. Progress bar... nothing.
There's no 10.4.6 Receipt .pkg.

download the combo (or the "simple" update) and install manually.

Madrag
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 09:51 AM

yes, set your energy saver to HIGH.
it did the trick!
thanks.

Does this change make my processors hotter/work harder?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by OAW
I'm experiencing a strange problem since upgrading to OS X 10.4.6. I use MS Remote Desktop 1.0.3 on a daily basis. Generally, it works fine and gives me no trouble whatsoever. However, since the OS upgrade I've found that if I COPY/CUT IN MS Remote Desktop I can no longer PASTE in OS X. At all. Via keystrokes or menu items. The only way to restore functionality is to log out and log back in. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

OAW
This problem had persisted for days until this morning when it occurred to me to reboot the Windows machine and see what happened. I'm pleased to report that the problem has been resolved.

OAW

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 01:52 PM

um, yeah, tried that, but no disk shows up to install it in the installer

Catch-22 H-E-Double-L

Originally Posted by Madrag
download the combo (or the "simple" update) and install manually.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
This problem had persisted for days until this morning when it occurred to me to reboot the Windows machine and see what happened. I'm pleased to report that the problem has been resolved.

OAW
For any problem related to Windows, isn't rebooting Windows the first option?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr
For any problem related to Windows, isn't rebooting Windows the first option?
Along with the second option, 'reinstall windows'. I actually have friends who carry around their Win XP install disks in their carry case, incase they are out and need to reinstall their OS . Ah, good ol' Mac.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 10, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
EXCELLENT. I wouldn't characterize Aperture 1.0.1 with 10.4.6 as fast on my iMac G5 2.0, but regardless, it's still a heluvalot faster than 1.0.1 was with 10.4.5.

For me, this is quite a nice update.
OTOH...

Aperture: Some images render incorrectly when using Mac OS X 10.4.6

When using Aperture 1.0.1 with Mac OS X 10.4.6, some images may exhibit noise, color banding, or posterization that did not appear when using Mac OS X 10.4.5.

This is a cosmetic issue, because it only affects images which are scaled to fit your screen or the Viewer. These artifacts will not appear when zoomed in to 100 percent, when using the loupe, exporting, or printing.

It's also a temporary issue, because forthcoming the Aperture 1.1 update will resolve it.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Oh wonderful, Apple has the worst 1.0 software.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 11:52 AM

Sniff. Anyone?

um, yeah, tried that, but no disk shows up to install it in the installer

Catch-22 H-E-Double-L

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2006, 06:36 PM

Weyland-Yutani SHUT UP already. Hell you are on my ignore list and you are still annoying.
Hey, he was just voicing his opinion. Sure this is a minor update, but I agree with Weyland, it doesn't offer much but fixes for some rather obscure bugs.

I would have liked to see updates to Safari, Finder and Spotlight myself and the fixes to the obscure bugs. Most users just use Office, iLife, the Finder and Safari. These things have to be on first priority for bugfixes, feature additions and speed optimizations.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
<snip> Spotlight <snip> speed optimizations.
Well, it definitely had this for me and some others.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Well, it definitely had this for me and some others.
Very good

Spotlight works at the same speed over here (as far as I can tell), it is fast enough for me. I always welcome more speed, but at the moment I'd welcome better integration of Spotlight in the Finder so Spotlight windows would behave more like normal Finder windows and that there would be better (i.e. any) user control over what gets indexed and what not.

Right now I use a third party app for that, but it should be part of the Spotlight preferences. As I said, more speed is always welcome but in this case not necessary like better features/integration, IMO. Perhaps in 10.4.7?

Perhaps not. It's nothing I'll lose sleep over. Good night (I'm off to bed)

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules