Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hardware Test CD (AHT), PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8

Hardware Test CD (AHT), PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8
Photoman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 05:53 PM

I recently purchased a used PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 off eBay. It did not come with the Apple Hardware Test CD. How can I get the correct AHT CD for my machine? Can anyone help?
Thanks, Michael

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2006, 06:18 PM

One of us should be able to help you with this if you have no luck tracking down the original disc.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Photoman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
One of us should be able to help you with this if you have no luck tracking down the original disc.
Would appreciate it. Am unable to get the original. If a serial number would help let me know.
Thanks, Michael

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2006, 08:57 PM

I sent you a PM a couple days ago.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kick52
Baninated
Mar 8, 2006, 09:54 AM

i saw one on ebay yesterday

Roehlstation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 12:57 AM

They don't ship with AHT anymore I'm looking for one too.

G5man
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 01:31 AM

Any mac that was shipped with Tiger has the Apple Hardware Test on one of the DVD's, it was a matter of pressing the option key that had OS X installer and booting into AHT. That's how I remembered it.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

awcopus
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2006, 01:51 PM

Get DiskWarrior and Drive Genius. Both of these utilities do an excellent job and are up-to-date. Incredibly, Apple's hardware test software disc contains software that is woefully underpowered and generally will do NOTHING for you. You'll note that the Hardware Test is supposed to be run after you have removed all third party devices, which for me would be 3 PCI cards and 5GB of RAM. That's ridiculous. Drive Genius is more comprehensive and doesn't ask me to dismantle my setup in order for it to run diagnostics and implement fixes.

In February I experienced a major and sudden problem with my Mac involving a failing secondary HD (believe it or not, this can throw your entire system off). The Apple Care guys I spoke with basically told me that their HD test disc is lame and that DW and Drive Genius wouild definitely be good countermeasures to try before bringing my machine in to the local Genius Bar. Worked for me. YMMV.
Liberty lover since birth. Mac devotee since 1986.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by awcopus
You'll note that the Hardware Test is supposed to be run after you have removed all third party devices, which for me would be 3 PCI cards and 5GB of RAM. That's ridiculous.
Apple does not ask that third party RAM be removed before AHT is run, and such a request would defeat the purpose of the test.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 08:29 PM

TechTool is a reasonable substitute. There is also a better apple hardware test cd for G5s, but I can't remember what it is called, apple diagnosis or something.

Diskwarrior and Drive Genius are good for hard drive issues, and some related software issues, but aren't complete hardware tests.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules