Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Advice on Power Mac

Advice on Power Mac
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2006, 09:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a dual 2.7, 3GB RAM, 400GB HD, SuperDrive, 6800 Ultra (arctic cooling NV5). Now that the intel macs have boot camp, which is a huge plus to me (gaming), I was wondering:
1. how much would this machine be worth?
2. Should I sell now (before it depreciates anymore) and wait for the Mac Pro?

Thanks.

LarsCA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 09:01 PM

Yes, sell it quick. (I could maybe be convinced to buy it from you, as a favor, while you're waiting for the Mac Pro. This really is too much, but just as a favor I'd buy it from you for $1000. I know, it's over-pricing it a bit, but I don't want you to feel sad.)

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 09:48 PM

If you can do without your Mac, and you want to get the Intel based PowerMac, you should sell now.

To get the best price, look around ebay.

But sell on Craigslist. Dealing with someone local, where they can check out the Mac first, and you get CASH, is the safest way to buy. (Also, I find you can get better prices on Craigslist since people are more confident of what they are buying.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 09:50 PM

Also, another idea to find out a fair price is to check out the refurbs at Apple.com. Most smart buyers who are looking for use will go there and will know the prices...

dwd3885
Apr 11, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by LarsCA
Yes, sell it quick. (I could maybe be convinced to buy it from you, as a favor, while you're waiting for the Mac Pro. This really is too much, but just as a favor I'd buy it from you for $1000. I know, it's over-pricing it a bit, but I don't want you to feel sad.)
i hope that is either sarcasm or something else because that machine is easily worth $2300.

roody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 06:33 PM

At the end of the day it really depends on what you plan on using it for. Your setup, ram, video card etc clearly indicates that you have put the money into getting the top of the line hardware so I'm going to assume that your a power user.

Remember that the intel switch is not about speed when compared to the G5 chip.

To quote a mac dealer in the business since 1985:

"The top Supercomputers in the world are not Intel based they are PPC based. On heavy crunch situations like Climate modelling a G5 2.5 and Intel 2.8 are identical.
Sony and MS went with PowerPC for their gaming stations.

Intel offers Apple a wide selection and most important a cooler less power hungry solution....NOT a more powerful one."

If you are indeed a power user I would suggest that you keep it until the Intel Powermac replacement is released and tested thoroughly. You will certainly get less back for it "financially" than you will if you sell it now but you have to factor in the "value" of using it every day until then. Don't forget that, in true mac style, the first gen MacBook Pro's are exhibiting more than their fair share of problems and it may not be feasible for you to go without whatever intel mac you buy for any length of time should there be any recalls.
Dual 2.7 GHz G5: 3.5GB RAM, 700G, 6800 ULTRA, OSX
Dual 2.0 GHz G5: 1.0GB RAM, 160G, Radeon 9600, OSX Server
XServe RAID 3.5TB (14 X 250)
12" PB 1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 5400 RPM HDD

2009059  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 06:50 AM

Thank you macuserforlife. You've convinced me to keep it for a while.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by macuserforlife
At the end of the day it really depends on what you plan on using it for. Your setup, ram, video card etc clearly indicates that you have put the money into getting the top of the line hardware so I'm going to assume that your a power user.

Remember that the intel switch is not about speed when compared to the G5 chip.

To quote a mac dealer in the business since 1985:

"The top Supercomputers in the world are not Intel based they are PPC based. On heavy crunch situations like Climate modelling a G5 2.5 and Intel 2.8 are identical.
Sony and MS went with PowerPC for their gaming stations.

Intel offers Apple a wide selection and most important a cooler less power hungry solution....NOT a more powerful one."

If you are indeed a power user I would suggest that you keep it until the Intel Powermac replacement is released and tested thoroughly. You will certainly get less back for it "financially" than you will if you sell it now but you have to factor in the "value" of using it every day until then. Don't forget that, in true mac style, the first gen MacBook Pro's are exhibiting more than their fair share of problems and it may not be feasible for you to go without whatever intel mac you buy for any length of time should there be any recalls.
Supercomputing performance hardly seems relevant to the desktop market. The fastest supercomputers are using PPC440 chips, but I don't see those making their way into desktops anytime soon.
But if you think it matters, 57% of the supercomputers in the top 500 globally are running Intel x86 chips. Over two thirds are using x86 chips.
Ditto for gaming machines; Cell wouldn't make a very good general-purpose desktop.

According to the presentation at this years IDF:
* 20% more performance for Merom at the same power level (compared to Core Duo)
* 40% more performance for Conroe at 40% less power (compared to Pentium D)
* 80% more performance for Woodcrest at 35% less power (compared to dual-core Xeon)

Intel is working toward making chips more powerful and less power hungry, increasing performance per watt from both sides. IBM is moving away from the desktop chip business and toward servers, supercomputers, and embedded chips.

That "mac dealer in the business since 1985" needs to read up on Intel before making statements like that.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2006, 07:22 PM

My post above isn't suggesting that you should dump your G5 todayy. I'd keep it at least until the Mac Pro comes out, and all of your professional/work related software is available as a Universal Binary.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 08:36 PM

Apples and oranges. The problem is that at the moment there is no orange to compare to. You have made a good decision to wait. There will be a market for G5s for some time yet.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules