Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't see Graphite BS network

Can't see Graphite BS network
Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 09:36 PM

Don't laugh, but I just bought a graphite Base Station for my girlfriend's house. I have 2 expresses which I use with ethernet connections, but where she is there is only dialup, so I aimed low and bought old-school.

Well, after reading Apple's support information, I can fully edit the configuration of the BS through Airport admin utility, via an ethernet cable between my pb and the bs. I can even surf the internet via dialup if the phone line goes to the airport and I'm connected to it with the cable.

My problem is that the base station doesn't seem to have any wireless network. I have reset and reconfigured the BS, checked the firmware, and I know it's not the power capacitors because she works just fine.

Anyone got one of these, that maybe they'v had this problem with? I can't imagine why the power, modem, and ethernet ports all work fine but the BS has NO wireless network.

Thanks!
you are not your signature

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 22, 2006, 08:18 AM

What are the lights on the ABS doing? There's a "wireless" light (see the documentation); is it on or not?

It's possible that this device has had its wireless card pulled, or has a fault in the wireless card. If this is true, you have a very cool-looking one-port wired router.

Third party wireless routers (with 4 wired ports) are going for pretty reasonable prices lately; if you find a good sale you could wind up with a nice box for around $35-45.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Gametes  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2006, 10:40 AM

well, when I first start it up all three lights flash slowly solid red for quite some time actually. Eventually up comes the left red light, then the center green light. The scary part is for about 15 minutes the power cycles and cycles like this, but then the green light stays on permanently...

I guess if what you're saying is true, that the wireless card can die independently of the other components, then that may be what happened. I'm just surprised that that's the only fault, and everything else works.

And yeah, I know there are cheap routers but I wanted an Airport to be able to stay within the brand (easier compatibility, or so I thought), since the network is all-mac as well.

Is there anything to be done if it's just the wireless part? NM...

OMG I just opened this thing, and it doesn't even HAVE the wireless card. Ebay is so full of fraudsters... thanks for the help, and if there is a mysterious murder of an ebay seller you never have this conversation.
you are not your signature

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 22, 2006, 11:12 AM

Sorry, but that's what I thought you'd find. Still, it IS cool looking...

Anyway, lots of people here like brands such as Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys (though you'll probably find as many people posting hate-threads about each brand as well). I've stuck with Linksys because I'm used to them, but you can apparently get great deals on other brands and save a lot over what I have paid.

Check out BestBuy and CompUSA's ads tomorrow morning for deals. They may or may not offer specials, but the will still have lots of wireless routers to choose from. They are ALL compatible as long as they say they are "WiFi" compliant (or mention compliance with IEEE standard 802.11g-don't get a "802.11b-only" product).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

asxless
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gametes
...OMG I just opened this thing, and it doesn't even HAVE the wireless card....
If you really really want your Graphite BS to work you could just plug in any Lucent/Orinoco Silver or Gold card. They should be cheap because they are nearly useless except for kepping legacy gear working these days

-- asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules